2009 East Coast Rally

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I thought it was hilarious coming back from the resturant. Your bike Dan, sounded like a giant chain saw was coming after me. Do you have a date yet for the Connecticut Rally?
Jay

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
would May second and 3rd work for every one for CT rally? Can be any dates, I just picked that out of the air thinking perfect weather.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
That would probably work for me. It's still pretty cold up there in early May if I remember right(I use to live near New Haven). But that won't keep me away.

Last edited:

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Couple Q's

Legality in CT???

I'm in WNY pretty sure I could squeeze this thing into my trunk w/seats folded down???

If my bike does about 20-25mph, to slow for you guy's?

Keep me posted!!!

If I've got no brain to protect, do you think they'll make special exception for the helmet law?

Marty - [email protected]

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Couple Q's

Legality in CT???

I'm in WNY pretty sure I could squeeze this thing into my trunk w/seats folded down???

Keep me posted!!!

If I've got no brain to protect, do you think they'll make special exception for the helmet law?

Howdy Marty. Delaware has a law where you have to have a helmit with you, but do not have to be wearing it. (I was told last yr) CT is pretty gracious about and to MBs. No helmet law over 16. A MB is legally considered a bicycle with a helper motor under 30 MPH and under 50cc.

For transporting my MBs, I bought a bike rack at a church sale. It straps on to the trunk of a sedan or back of an SUV. Works great and cost $5. I also bought a fancy one for around 40. Is funny to look in the rear view and see folks staring and wondering. Some times they pull up next to me and ask the usual questions.

See ya at the rallys!

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Marty, Dan got it right about the helmet law in Delaware. It's strange, but true. You need not wear it, but it has to be displayed while riding. As far as CT is concerned, I wasn't aware of the helmet laws, but as I wear a brain bucket all the time while riding the Whizzer, I hadn't looked into it. Regarding the 20-25mph speed, we won't leave you behind. Even a Whizzer (well, at least mine anyway) is happy cruising at that speed.
Regarding carrying the bike, one thing I learned about trying to carry one on its side is it's real easy to either have fuel leak or dent your tank. I had tried it once, and to get the bike into the back of the car I had to loosen the gooseneck and turn the handlebars parallel to the wheel. Unfortunately, while loading the bike, the handlebars contacted the tank and left a nice dent in it. Anyone who has seen my Western Flyer (with 48cc GruBee) has seen the dent.
The rear rack is a good choice, but make sure it's substantial enough to carry the weight of your bike(s). Mine will hold either of my 2-cycle engined bikes (the '46 Columbia or the Western Flyer), but it's not strong enough for the 100lb Whizzer.

Last edited:

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Cool, Thanks for the help and guidance guys! I was only being a wise guy with the no brain question. Looks like you guys had a good time out there last year! Thanks for the pics!

As time gets closer I'll have to keep an eye for this thread to come to the top again. I lead life mostly spur of the moment because of my job delivering pizzas. If it's possible for me to make it, count on me being there.

I also mannaged to get some e-mail addresses from the guy's (in NY) on this board and the other board. I'll send them a link to this thread! Thanks guy's

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The brain joke cracked me up. Well actually, made me think about why I don't wear one, snork. (Always wear all recommended safety gear kids!)

When I built my first MB, I was delivering pizzas. Not a bad gig for easy cash. I have always wanted to build a MB designed around food delivery. A gps mount on the handle bars. Pizza rack like a rear book rack, saddle bags and front basket for bagged goods. The saddle bags more like baskets with a sign for the restaurant. Free advertising for them. I plan to build MB using a felt Heritage. That will look cool and hope an easy sell.

First call I am going to make is a pizza place in Mystic, oddly enough called "Mystic Pizza" But is a small touristy town and think I could sell them on the idea.
I was an extra in the movie "Mystic Pizza" (played a drunk fisherman)

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Those are some pretty pricey bikes!

I was thinking the same thing for delivery. 3 wheel trike tho for stability!

Delivering Pizzas is not the job it used to be! Your taking your life in your hands anymore these days!

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Couple Q's

Keep me posted!!!

may 2nd and 3rd works for me. i already requested time off work for the 2009 Death Race in Tucson, so i'm glad the East Coast Rally will be a weekend. i dont think i'll race again this year, just go along for the ride.

If you want to put your bike in the trunk, drain not only your tank, but your carb, as well.
i keep my tank just a tiny bit on the loose side, so if i have to 'trunk' it, i can pivot the tank so the cap faces up. dont have to drain tank.

20-25 sounds good to me.

are we all crashing at Dan's house? :crash:

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I went to Spooky's site and couldn't find any info on the 2009 Death Race. I have always had challenges navigating their site. Can you post the details here?
Forgive me if I missed it here somewhere.:D

Spunout

Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
I went to Spooky's site and couldn't find any info on the 2009 Death Race. I have always had challenges navigating their site. Can you post the details here?
Forgive me if I missed it here somewhere.:D
yo wut up, weedy!

nothing is official at the moment.
roland opened his doors on a 4/20 (insert obvious remark here________), and thats around the time he holds the races. so i figure its going to be sat18th, or sun19th. this is all guesswork, mind you.

anyway....back to the 2009 east coast rally.....
i think i'm going to ride there and back. its not that far

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hey guys, I just want to clarify things, as two rally discussions have emerged on this thread. The earlier rally, which is being organized by Dan, is the one in Connecticut on May 2 & 3. See this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f35/ct-mb-get-together-4913.html

The rally at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, Delaware is the 2nd Annual East Coast Rally, which is being held on September 26 & 27, 2009.

I hope to see as many people at both rallies as possible. Cape Helopen is a really neat venue, and the park Dan is planning to hold the CT Rally (shall we call it the Northeast Rally?) looks like a really nice venue as well. We have all winter to think up things to add even more fun to the rallies, so if anyone has any ideas, send them our way.
-Chris

Spunout

Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
my bad, kilroy, for getting the two thread wires crossed.

question for you-----

since this ride planned is your baby, i'm not sure what kind of feelings you have towards inviting riders from 'the other place'. ?
for me, it's all $hit under the bridge, you know? history.

i'll ask dan the same quexion on his thread.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
my bad, kilroy, for getting the two thread wires crossed.

question for you-----

since this ride planned is your baby, i'm not sure what kind of feelings you have towards inviting riders from 'the other place'. ?
for me, it's all $hit under the bridge, you know? history.

i'll ask dan the same quexion on his thread.
Hi Spunout, I've been publicizing the event on both forums. I am a member of both boards (in fact I'm a moderator on the other board), and most of the people who were at the October rally at Cape Henlopen were also members of both boards. There wasn't and shouldn't be any "us versus them" politics involved because we're all out for the same thing, to have fun and share information about motorized bikes. (^) .fly

Spunout

Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
There wasn't and shouldn't be any "us versus them" politics involved because we're all out for the same thing, to have fun and share information about motorized bikes. (^) .fly
true. i was referring to that EPA fiasco awhile back. but i'm just diggin' up moldy bones now.

i'm really glad to see some rallys up here. i was concerned when i left tucson, that i'd be all alone up here. NOT SO!