1950 Panther Project

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am a firm believer that 5 hsp NOS Briggs motors make wonderful birthday presents.
What a wonderful adventure you have ahead of you, my friend. I'd go for the Briggs and make it your bike the way you want it and not necessarily an exact restoration. Besides, every time you are asked about it you can say, "my wife gave me that engine". What an awesome thing to have that kind of support from your spouse. The bike will always have something of her in it and be a reminder of what a lucky fellow you are.
SB
Thanks SB..I agree not to sound sappy but She is an amazing Woman and a Great Mom to our kids) She also gave Me the Panther frame and Tank last Christmas. I sometimes ask her why she picked up an old stray like Me..

And I will definitly be calling upon your skills when it comes time for the seat and perhaps a removable "pad seat for the rack" for My little girl who always asks to go for a ride with dad.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Chain, I don't know how hardcore you are about U.S. made, and I don't wanna take away from a great guy like SB, but this is just another suggestion. I am SUPER impressed with the appearance of the Gyes leather cruiser saddle I bought. The price was very fair for something so beautiful and well made. Peace
-LS

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Chainmaker, did you get that simplex from Bob Gurkin? I remember seeing pictures of it somewhere. I'm picking up another simplex in Ohio on sunday on my way to the vintage motorbike meet in portland, it's a 1953? automatic that is mostly complete. I'll post pictures when I get back.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
LS...Shame on You!!

Hey Rick..Yes I am getting it from BoB I wont be able to lay My hands on it until sometime in August. I have been waiting on the other forum for a build thread of the truck. Im really impressed with that other bike you did!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It has been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread, but since I'm in the planning stage of an upgrade on my 50 Panther I have read over your thread with great interest. My ride currently has an H.S. 50 CC 4 stroke with Q'matic transmission. I like it very much with one exception...

Where I live in the winter is mountainous and even my summer place is hilly. Smooth as this bike is, it just doesn't have it for climbing hills of any grade or distance. For the flats it's great, starts with one pull and all that, but I do not want to pedal. Being partly crippled, pedaling is out.

Recently on the forum there are some Predator builds going on and it made me recall this build using the Greyhound engine which I understand has virtually the same footprint as the Greyhound.

I have a question. You mentioned something early on in this thread regarding an alteration you made to the motor mount. What was that modification?

Are you still happy with your build? If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently?

You and I are in agreement that the Panther frame is one of the best looking ever made. With the Predator engine I think I'll be pretty well satisfied with my Panther. Thanks for your advice.
SB

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have a Greyhound in my 1911 Indian build. It's an awesome engine. In order to tip the engine so that the cylinder is near vertical you need to change the connecting rod to a billet racing unit that has a hollow force feed crank bearing spoon type oiler. The stock connecting rod is junk, but it just splashes. The racing connecting rod has a spoon hollow splasher that force feeds the big end bearing. AGK has these. If you put the cylinder not strait vertical but canted rearward about 3 degrees you will have an engine that will last for thousands of miles.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Silverbear,
The Panther is def. a great looking bike. I think the modifications I was going to do were with the blocks on those kit mounts, but I went with a welded on mount which I highly reccomend ( an angle iron welded on each side of the down tube and seat tube) bullet proof and solid as heck. Am I happy with this build, this was a great bike paired up with the EZ and a greyhound ..It moved right along and started right up. The problem I had with it was Me. I like to tinker and work on things and this bike was too reliable. I had everything I wanted on this bike nothing to upgrade to. I have since took out the motor and EZ unit and I am getting a 1947 Whizzer motor to put in it. Quentin had a fine motor for sale almost complete original down to the mounts , and bits and pieces. I will have to find a few parts but thats half the fun. I will probabally continue this thread with a "rebuild section" with the installation of the motor. I know you will be happy with the extra cc's

Cheers

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cobra,
Thanks for your input on this. I have followed your build and am familiar with what you did. I should have specified that the Predator engine I'll be upgrading to is the 99cc and way smaller than the Greyhound you used in your build. So, I won't have to tilt the engine for this one, although it is going to be a squeeze getting it in there. This will be no racer, just a nice cruiser capable of pulling my 200lbs and the dog trailer up some fairly steep grades in the Catoktin Mountains of Maryland.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chain,
The upgrade you describe for your bike sounds great and you already have the belt driven sheave for the rear wheel. The Whizzer engine will make that bike rock.
I did have some thoughts about finding another Fitchell & Sachs engine like in my Indian Hiawatha build, but it is way over budget as I have too many pots boiling on the stove as it is.

This upgrade to the 99cc Predator will be on a budget. I took a look on the Harbor Freight site last evening and see the engine is on sale for $109.00 with flate rate shipping of $7.00 which is awesome. Will have to wait for leaves to sprout on the money tree so will be watching for another sale this spring. Since I already have the Qmatic all I will need is the engine, an adjustable pulley from Granger ($12.00) and an appropriate belt.

So, for less than a hundred fifty bucks I can turn this build into what I wanted it to be in the first place... reliable, go from a dead stop, climb hills and have decent cruising speed.
I'll see if someone on the forum is looking for a used, but perfectly running 50cc HS and recoup some of my expense.

Maybe someday I'll run into another Sachs engine and do yet another upgrade. On the other hand, this may be just right with the Predator. I no longer have Sportscarpat's first SS tank for my Panther. I built a 49 Panther for my buddy in Minnesota and he talked me out of it. I'm thinking that my '50 would look pretty nice with an in frame copper tank and a copper transmission cover to go with it. Something to do next winter and also give it Tinsmith's rear drop stand treatment. Always fun to do a makeover. I'll look forward to your Whizzer upgrade!
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Silverbear, google Harborfreight coupon or discount code...you can usually find a 20 percent off coupon code online.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

I figured I would just add on to this thread for the change over to a 1947 Whizzer Kit. Started sanding the frame today, had to do a bit of grinding where the mounts from the HF was.

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hmmmmmmmmm if I remember right you and this frame have been through this(sanding) before.Is that kickstand freakin long or is it just me? Good luck on your build! .

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hmmmmmmmmm if I remember right you and this frame have been through this(sanding) before.Is that kickstand freakin long or is it just me? Good luck on your build! .
correct on both accounts...I did sand and paint last year, but I didnt wait for the weather to break for warmer temps. to airbrush it outside and I used spray can. Im going to wait for the weather to use auto paint. And the kickstand is really long there is a piece of another fork welded to the factory one, becuase with the weight of the four stroke and the lean it was too much to hold up. Im thinking of taking the stand off and going with a centermount or a whizzer style stand if I can find a reasonably priced one.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
That will look nice with the whizzer, and for your simplex a good sugjestion on a motor would be either awm or a wmb briggs&stratton. I almost bought a running wm a few weeks ago but the dreaded report card came in the mail the day me and my dad were going to go buy it.