1950 Panther Project

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Update: Waiting for a clutch and arm assy, air filter, and a few other parts to arrive. And will take it for spin before she is torn down and painted.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Had to figure out some fancy routing of the fuel filter due to the tank bung and carb being so close, this is what I came up with....

And standing in the shop waiting for a few more parts to arrive. I put the newer larger springs on the forks, and it makes a huge difference.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My build is on temp. hold, I am so busy at work and I have a vintage Raleigh I have to re-build for Mothers day. I did get a set of J model throttle and comp. release controls, becuase the handle bars were a bit cluttered with all the levers. I should be able to get back going on this by next week.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Speaking of natural progression, I recently swapped out my H.S. for the 99cc Predator (1950 Panther, EZ transmission) and couldn't be happier with the power. The 50 is a sweet motor and fine if you are a flatlander, but where I am in Minnesota in the summer and in the mountains of Maryland in the winter the 50 was inadequate. I was surprised to find that due to the shape of the Predator engine the Panther frame actually has more room for it than it did for the 50 HS.

Your bike is going to be a sweetheart.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
No pics right yet. But I trued the wheels, got the handle bars all set up, got the frame primed and first coats of semi-gloss black on now the truly painfull part..waiting for the paint to cure so I can hit it with red for the two-tone. still need to finish sanding and paint the forks and clutch pully cover which will get the red as well. On another note I got some bar end mirrors off e-bay that wont work. the expander wont split to hold the mirrors inside the bars. So I will keep looking.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Not too much left to do just need days off and weather to cooperate. This motor was a tight fit, had to trim the lower motor mounts to get it in there. I think the finishing touch will be a boardtracker seat by Sportsman, and some felt forks..which will probabally wait til fall. Cant wait to open her up on the road.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
She is up and running great now. Had some problems with the carb, took it off gave it good cleaning. Runs super. I also swapped out the "J" twist throttle and went with a mini bike twist grip, added a walbro swivel to the throttle lever and a return spring...sweet throttle action !! This bike is way too much fun to ride. I havnt checked the top speed but there is tons of low end tourque and I would guess I have had it 35-40.