1911 Flying Merkel single build.

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
!! RIGHT !! I'm back! Not discussed yet is the fact that after the powdercoat went on I later discovered that the tank epoxy liner had failed in a rather spectacular fashion. All curled up inside. This has not happened before with other tanks I had powdercoated AFTER lining with Caswells "Dragons Blood" I do remember when I was putting the liner in that it didnt look quite right. Quite a bit more brown than red. That was half portions that had been opened several years ago. My theory is it oxydized and aged and thats why it didnt take. It did leave me with a H3LL of a problem. How to get the epoxy out and leave none behind to clog filters and jets? How to do this AND leave the powdercoat intact? I thought about it for a long time and came to the conclusion I would just have to try and reconcile myself to having the powdercoat redone when ( not if ) I fail. Summer is nearing its end here in the Valley of the Sun ( stroke ) but still over 100 each day. Still, I wanted to be ready for the fall building time SO I bought a large box fan to blow AC from the house into the garage to make it usable for most of the day. My back up plan for catostrophic failure and chemical contamination of garage was to suffer the heat and get as much of the chemical out of the garage so I could secure the thing. 2 heavy duty tarps with floor dry in between and 2 roaster pans with floor dry standing by to hold the chemicals if I had a major leak or if I had to dump it and escape. I have good masks for powder and dust but not for corosive vapors, so I would have to be quick if things went sideways. The magic goo to make this happen is mostly Methylene Chloride. Very nasty Its the major component of
jasco stripper.jpg
It will KILL you if you breath too much of it. I was determined to breath none of it... This ( the entire gallon ) went into the tank along with 2 lbs of drywall screws. All sealed up with no leaks I let it set on a well padded set of body work stands. Flipping it every 2 hours or so to let it soak in every direction. I had done some testing weeks before with strips of metal dipped in the Caswells sealer to approximate the time needed. The next day was aggitation day. I would rock the thing up and down side to side then flip it over and and do it some more, then let it soak while I recovered. This went on for 1 1/2 days. Time came to drain it and I very carefully positioned the frame to drain from the lowest spot ( internal vent bung ) and positioned a floor dry filled roaster pan under the spot. With the bits of the frame that had a chance of being exposed to the chemical wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. That's Alum-inum not al-u-minium ( wink ) I was amazed how well this worked. One of my other tests on a powdercoated bolt from the same job I was lucky to have proved that the stripper worked much faster on powdercoat than epoxy OR paint; but I got away with it. So far so good. Now to get the rest out. That came in the form of a nutralizer of sorts found HERE:
Kleen after.jpg
A good sloshing with 2 quarts of this still moving the nails around and I was ready to flush. Drained out and with a special attachment on the hose I..um. Gave it the hose. Millions and millions of tiny flakes came out with the water. This concerned me. Once everything was dry and my powdercoat was intact, I had a look around in the tank with my inspection camera snakey thing. Their was STILL bits of epoxy in the tank. Tiny little red shiny spots. My only choice was to reseal it or I would be having clogged filters and jets forever. Once more I threw the dice and etched the insides of the tank with lye ( generic ACE Hardware extra strength drano ) to make sure the new liner stuck. Again I got away with it. Flushed out and ready I let it dry with a hair drier on fan only directed into the fuel fill for several days. Then new Dragons Blood that looked perfect this time. All sealed up I'm now ready to build. By the way; The screws came out a lot harder that they went in. Magnet on a stick and a few hours and they were out.

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Now back on its wheels my path was clear. I must vandalize the powdercoat with paint! "Bugs" Gonzalez; A grand master in the west coast fine line pinstriping Chicano style got the job again. He did a wonderful job on my POPE build and so the bike was delivered to his shop with lots of printouts of Merkels both original and restored to work from. Check him out! https://www.lowrider.com/lifestyle/1411-efrain-bugs-gonzales/

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteMcP

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
9-15-18 007.JPG
9-15-18 011.JPG
9-15-18 009.JPG
9-15-18 008.JPG
9-15-18 003.JPG
The 1 inch bars are back from the chrome'r and nicely done in nickel plate. The number plates double as a front axle / wheel retention device and will work with the front drum brake. Its descriptive and a joke. 18 for the year of completion and as this bike is illegal as all H3LL its 18 and as such "legal" HAHAHAAHhahahAAHAHHAaaa

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Such a cool boardie. Outstanding finish. And 'cause there ain't another like it, by definition it IS an original.
Seriously though, I bet a very high percentage of admiring onlookers won't ever cotton-on it's an FM recreation.
A+++++ in my book. Go straight to the top of the class ....(^)

Reactions: Velodrome

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Fine description of how you removed & replaced the defective tank liner resin. Congrats on not letting a setback derail your great build! Rick C.

Reactions: Velodrome

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Guys! Its an odd WET day here in the Pahonex and cooler. Working in the garage is tolerable. Have my Sportsman hub adapter on and loose. Coaster brake spaced with final fittings and the fender on. Also, brass bits polished and installed ( fuel caps and under tank straps) Next up, the bottom bracket. Found my dead blow hammer and dusted it off so the bearings should go in fine. After that, handle bar stuff.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK! Back at it. Shes sprouting feelers! In the form of cables and wires. Brass front brake lever on. internal throttle and clutch on, and old tymie kill switch with cloth insulation on. Pats reduction drive and hub adapter also in place. I think Ill be wrapping the throttle / clutch in leather. Oil pump on just fur look'n at :)
9-24-18 005.JPG
9-24-18 006.JPG
9-24-18 008.JPG
9-24-18 001.JPG
9-24-18 002.JPG
9-24-18 003.JPG

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Now. About those hand controls. Slippery anodized or blued metal wont get it. I'm a leather wrapp'n virgin but here goes! After a YouTube "education" I thought I had a partial clue; but forged ahead anyways. First I got some machine bushings. 1 1/8 ID fit fine with some sanding. Also, used the Dremel to gouge some groves into the metal for the epoxy / leather to grab onto. A small sanding flapper wheel ( again Dremel ) roughed it up even more. Had Bob put 4 small tacks in each one. Then I ground down the tack welds. The bottom ends have escape holes for the nylon string I'll use to pull the end bit through and under so it sticks
9=25=18 009.JPG
9=25=18 010.JPG
9=25=18 011.JPG
9=25=18 013.JPG

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ok. So, pics of the wrapping will be scarce because I had to work fast despite choosing a 60 min epoxy. AND my hands were covered with glue! No camera touchy allowed. Well they came out "ok" Not terribly excited about it but its better than what I had. They will have to cure overnight then I'll sand em and probably put a few coats of lacquer on em. Clean up was easy. Carton called for isopropil alcohol. I had an old bottle of 91% that came in handy. Hands still feel odd. Not sticky. Just, odd... Found the leather at Michales. Funny: I was 3/4 way through the first wrap when it occured to me that the epoxy just might melt the nylon pull through. I got lucky :)
9=25=18 014.JPG
9=25=18 016.JPG

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OH! and the excess metal will be ground away on my 8" grinder. I have plugs for the ends too that I found at the hardware store.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Velodrome,

I really love this bike and want to lavish heaps of praise on your work. The attention to detail is extravagant and much appreciated.
I apologize in advance if you have already explained this, but do you have details on your internal throttle? I have always wanted to attempt this, but have never buckled down and try to fabricate one,

Thanks for the pictures and inspiration.

Gilbert

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The "sticky" bit is a nylon dowel under compression from a set screw to vary the amount of sticky. 0 to full lock. I've found it very useful in the clutch application as I can easly overpower it in riding use but can lock it open once the bike is running and mess with the support stand. PS: These are only for 1" bars. If you must use 7/8 your ONLY options are to roll your own OR adapt an old 1970's Honda CT70 throttle.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
All cured. Came out very shiny and smooth. There is enough lumpyness in them that I dont think I'll have to sand them or anything. Ground down the end caps and touched up with black nail polish. little clean up on the inside and they are on and working!!
9-26-18 010.JPG
9-26-18 011.JPG

Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Time for the oil pump. Bob has some aircraft grade epoxy that he swears will make this one with the frame now and forever. They use it to bond composite airplane parts. I want a very strong joining here. I took off the nickel and roughed it up and put tension pins very carefully in the frame to index the pump. Once everything lined up I cleaned and degreased the pump with brakeclean. With every thing clean and happy I took the bike to Bob's shop and he applied the goo. 24 hours to fully cure. No touchy no bendy.
9-26-18 003.JPG
9-26-18 007.JPG
9-26-18 009.JPG

Reactions: indian22

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The oil pump is an old vet syringe for medicating livestock :) I have the whole thing JB welded together now so it wont come apart while riding.