Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That is neet, How many know that all trailer wheels 5 bolt pattern is a Ford car pattern? and most 12" garden tractor 5 bolt is the same and will fit on a BroncoII rear end because it has small break drums?
I just never thought of it on a bike although heavy would work just fine as in the video..........Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Ludwig,

any kind of translation was shown to me as quite funny and stupid text! But, the most important: weight is 155 kg, for two persons (driver 100 kg?) and range of 40 km...

Qutie interesting double-wheels, probably DIY project! I am obssesed with possibility to "invent" cheap, strong, light and cute wheels for motorised quadricycle!

Ciao, Zoran

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hello there,
Those people made quite simple and it seems effective vehicle! … and, very fast for such construction? I am not sure if they used full size MTB or variant for children, with 24" wheels? Wheels to me look as original, nothing modified or heavy-duty variant...

Annie,
You always find photos of the cars that I like! Just those days I discussed such variants with my friend John from USA... Style is simple as on video, but with a lot of style. That is the second solution to simplest possible motorised quadricycle - the first one is buck-board in a style of Reb-Bug or Smith Flyer, or Waltham-Orient.

Veterans on first two photos are sometime named Hertel (by designer) and sometime Oakman (by his company), even on period advertisements. There is Australian variant too, just a little different, made on the order got from buyer (the first sketch).

Curtifox is right: friction drive on inner side of the rim! Not so simple to make at home? On one cars, there is variant with two or more speeds managed in that way.
Ciao, Zoran
Now you did it i was making copy's of the 1897 Hertel and my wife seen it and liked it. So now will collect parts for a build. It will be used for swap meets and tractor shows as it is getting hard to do all that walking for her and somewhat for me. Was going to do a model T type car but like this better..........Curt

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Page 112 Post 1117 First picture what kind of car is that one.Anyone know?

Also what size wheel would one use? I want to keep what ever i do as small and light as possable. This one has least amount of body.................Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If it were me I think I'd look for a matching pair of old 3 speed English bikes in a ladies frame (step through) and use the wheels that are on them. 26". What could be simpler and lighter? Using the seat posts for supports make a nice buggy type seat or even swipe a seat from an old VW bus. Assuming it is for low speed and for you and the Mrs., you could just do a jack shaft to a rag joint on one wheel for powering it. A three hp or so 4 stroke would give plenty of power geared for going slow. Do a thread when you build something, Curt, and if you have trouble posting photos send them to me and I'll post them for you. What you've described sounds good to me. Can't help you with identifying the picture you asked about...
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If the hubs are the same width, 24" would be a little stronger laterally, if that's worth considering.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Sad i cut up a 24" ten speed last year. Thanks SB but i will have my son help me with posting pictures ( about time to do it ) It will be ether this or the Hertel.

AND Steve never thought of it but now ether one will be will be Fox race about,if you can say that at 15 mph. max. THANKS guys and will look for wheels first then go from there. then go find some big boxes to do CAD like IW...............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's true about the 24" wheels being better able to deal with the lateral pressure. Low speed will also help. Cool that the Mrs. is behind this, eh? When you go out to tinker you have the excuse of working on "her" rig.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Page 112 Post 1117 First picture what kind of car is that one.Anyone know?

Also what size wheel would one use? I want to keep what ever i do as small and light as possable. This one has least amount of body.................Curt
-------------------------------
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Hello Curt,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]If you thought on antic quadricycle shown on attached photos - you made excellent choice! It is cute (for me) and one of the simplest veteran automobiles. Nice tradition of European light automobiles, constructed in technique developed by bicycle's manufacturers. This one is famous, too: designed by Wilhelm Maybach for industrialist Gottliebe Daimler. [/FONT]
[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Such construction could be replicate using bicycles frames, as I should do (maybe) having two MTB now connected in pedal-powered quadricycle. Only, couldn't be sure if such high-seats position should be good for pedaling of us two (having small engine as assistance)?...

[/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]Ciao, Zoran
[/FONT]

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
That's true about the 24" wheels being better able to deal with the lateral pressure. Low speed will also help. Cool that the Mrs. is behind this, eh? When you go out to tinker you have the excuse of working on "her" rig.
SB
----------------
Steve and Curt,
Probably that 24" MTB wheels would be good compromise between style (the bigger the better) and safe drive (corners and curves!). As Annie mentioned once, the best look could be 20" front and 28" rear, but... Once, I found American Giant (or something) bicycles with wheels of 36"!!! Question should be if they are strong enough, but look magnificent. As I have what I have (two MTB bicycles, still connected in one quadricycle) - I would use their components (frames) and 26" MTB wheels! Only, I am not sure if they would be strong enough for two of us? I do not have possibilities to reconstruct wheels or to buy stronger...

Attached is sketch with wheel for velomobile: Russian invention – wheel with added plywood disk. Maybe that could help for better side-forces resistance.

In any case – slow speeds (average 15 MPH), low power, low weight, slow trough corners, generally – pensioner style drive, adequate for two of us.

Ciao, Zoran

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Moto that is a good idea. Thanks for the pictures gives me more to go by. The wheels on the oridgenal look like big old 40" or about there.The bike i cut up had steel wheels and will look for some more. I did save the rims for belt drive rear pulley on motor bike.

Yhe one pictures shows a couple brass balls on the front and can't realy make out what they are for or on?................Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The one pictures shows a couple brass balls on the front and can't realy make out what they are for or on?................Curt
A reservoir for lamp oil perhaps?

Somehow I managed to miss your earlier posting Curt, - my apologies for that. Building yourself an earlier quad inspired replica should be a lot of fun :)

The 1900 Chapman electric seems to owe a lot to bicycle technology in its general construction.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Anne that's ok I miss a lot of post to. I was relooking and the frame is two main tubes that go up and support the cross tube for stearing seems that some had a brass topper on the end of the tubes and some didn't.

I am going to look for tires first then i will deside on the style but this one or the Hertel. Will let the wifey deside. I like both but this one has less body to build as trying to keep it light and easy to transport. they are not road leagle and would take a lot to get them there. Just doing it for swapmeet buggy and a paraid or two.This old guy needs a little help to see all of the tractor show and swapmeet...........Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Anne that's ok I miss a lot of post to. I was relooking and the frame is two main tubes that go up and support the cross tube for stearing seems that some had a brass topper on the end of the tubes and some didn't.

I am going to look for tires first then i will deside on the style but this one or the Hertel. Will let the wifey deside. I like both but this one has less body to build as trying to keep it light and easy to transport. they are not road leagle and would take a lot to get them there. Just doing it for swapmeet buggy and a paraid or two.This old guy needs a little help to see all of the tractor show and swapmeet...........Curt
----------------------------------------------
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Curt,[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
Those brass "balls" could be just decorative objects, or gas-reservoirs as Annie said. Most of veteran automobiles had different details on the same models, mostly built one by one and according owner's desires... [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]The same, you could build whatever you and your lady like, maybe combination of Hertel and Daimler. In any case, that will be your own creation and your pride. No need for exact copy, but to use the best technical solutions from any of the models that you like....
Only, I am afraid that with your automobile, you shouldn't cruise a lot across swap-meets and old-tractors shows: people will gathered around you in masses, asking for details and wanting to take photos...[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Please, take us informed about entire process, from thinking and designing, to constructing![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Ciao, Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]P.S.: On old black/white photos, "balls" are smaller and above steering mechainism: maybe for oiling it? However. I think that it shouldn't be important for replica?
[/FONT]

Attachments