Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! like that first one also,The my queen would look right at home in there. I am having dificalty trying to deside as the big wheel and if i do one the wheels have to be wide bike wheels as some of the ground is soft and sometimes wet.

Thanks for the new pictures love them and will help a lot.Like IW going to do some CAD will print a bunch and cut them,piece them and see what they look like with wheel change. How would they look instead of spocks use big spockes like the old wooden wheels?..Also was looking at some 29" wheel today,but are alloy non steel................Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Curt,
Just to make you more problems now: attached are photos with American Holsman high-wheeler, one of original automobile and two of replica built by my internet friend Lyle. He used big wood-spoke wheels made by some company that manufacture them for Amish karts and carraiages. They have incorporated good hubs and even disk-brakes, if somebody want that.

I suppose that big wood-spoke wheels should be stronger than wire-spoke bicycle's wheels, and could look cute, if we like that.

Original Holsman had interssting transmission for forward-revers: jack axle could be moved a little forward-back, and had pulley for rope or belt (forward) and pulley for friction drive (reverse)...

Zoran

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
...P.S.: They used thier replica (have two more, but smaller) as you would use yours: for parades and tractor-shows, but drive it around, over local roads (policemen like them and think that it is original veteran car)...
That might work will have to give it a try all they can do is tell me its not legal. But without a plate i don't think i would last long. Maybe find a old plate and hang on.....................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt,
Just to make you more problems now: attached are photos with American Holsman high-wheeler, one of original automobile and two of replica built by my internet friend Lyle. He used big wood-spoke wheels made by some company that manufacture them for Amish karts and carraiages. They have incorporated good hubs and even disk-brakes, if somebody want that.

I suppose that big wood-spoke wheels should be stronger than wire-spoke bicycle's wheels, and could look cute, if we like that.

Original Holsman had interssting transmission for forward-revers: jack axle could be moved a little forward-back, and had pulley for rope or belt (forward) and pulley for friction drive (reverse)...

Zoran
These are getting to big but love them really Koool and maybe to much work,not that i couldn't do it just want to do something a little quicker. I like the idea of using bike parts as well. ..............Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Curt,
You are quite right: that is gigantic vehicle and quite complicated to make... He spent a lot of months on it. It looks better than original - not necessary! Bicycle type is for me too!
Some people registered such vehicles as "historic cars", reconstructed and modernized - and got such reg-plates... or maybe as so-called "neighborhood vehicle"?
Zoran

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curt,
I was thinking that so long as you weren't driving in traffic and just putt putting along you could just act like you don't understand... you know, Grandpa going kind of senile. One of the advantages of being a geezer is people cut you some slack. Say it was your grandfather's first car and figured it didn't need a license because it is an antique. Act quite certain of that. An original Fox Motorcar made in Brainerd, Minnesota (in remarkable condition, too). Yah, is goot.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yah, is goot! LOL I think it will be the Gottliebe Daimler with the Hertel style wheels. So now will look for wheels and then see what happens. Looks simple enough to do,but nothing ever turns out as simple as it looks.

THANKS for all the pictures and info.

I found a guy that has about 200 bikes last week so come spring i will go and see what he has. and go from there. Unless we get a good warm spell it will have to wait till then.
I am thinking maybe 24" front and 26" rear. easy to get with 12 gage spocks? Or maybe 20's and 24". Will have to get the IW's CAD methed out and see...............Curt

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Yhe one pictures shows a couple brass balls on the front and can't realy make out what they are for or on?................Curt
Well, in my neighborhood, I usually see them on the back of the vehicle, below the trailer hitch of a pick-up truck.

And their owners don't drive real fast either. So I get stuck on a one-lane road, staring at a truck's brass balls for about ten minutes sometimes, until I get to my driveway. I've been tempted to go out at night with a can of blue spray paint and...

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
For anyone wanting an easy cyclecar project it would be difficult to overlook the Monet & Goyon cyclecar built for a short time during the mid 1920s. Harsh critics call them primitive mostly because the first models were entirely innocent of suspension altogether and would shake the fillings out of your teeth. Later models acquired springing of one sort or another, but overall the M&G cyclecars remained a very basic little vehicle. I think they're cute :)

The engine was a 350cc four stroke single and the final drive was by chain. The chassis was basically two straight pieces of channel section and the bodywork was made from sheet steel.

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello Annie,
That yellow one had simple construction, as Stevenson's kid-cars? Front "suspension" is the most simplest and quite adequate to other wooden construction. Probably not so good for heavier persons as two of us are (my lady and me), but over smooth asphalt and at low speeds? Only problems is that such bathtub ply-wood body do not like big doors, or doors at all. Not an easy step-in and step-out for two pensioners?
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I still question if a lift up body would be suitable.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Ludwig,[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]I think that lift-up body should be possible and practical, in some variants, sizes and shapes... For sure, both main components (chassis and body), being now independent - must be stronger then if we use monocoque type. If we use similar material and technology - each of them would be something heavier?
For three-wheelers (having three-point suspension, there wouldn't be torsional issues (twisting forces on chassis or body), especially if body is attached at three points (two for hinges and one for lock).
In any case, I would consider such variant because it could give us good weather protection and aerodynamic shape – and easier entrance for seniors... It could be opened as entire body, or just part of it (cabin): on side, or to front or to rear...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Something more detailed ideas are welcomed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Ciao, [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Ludwig,
As I have in mind some light motorised velocar (reconstruction of my present or new built from scratch), I have to figure general layout (suspension, steering, pedaling and transmission, engine/motor position...) entire chassis...) and than - body, if any!
Maybe something like this or quite different... I don’t mind too much about body (at least not for now), but my wife should like something closed around us (and - CUTE)...
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I like the first one would do it with a model T type front. With a small hood and windshield . Neat wheels 3 spokes in and 3 spokes out side of rim.

Got me thinking of the Hertel. Maybe one could build wheel like that with 6 spokes in and out end up with 12 just like the old wood spoke wheels. Be much stronger then regular wheels?................Curt