Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There is video of somebody getting half killed on/in one of these things. Sometimes, ordinary really is safer.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There is video of somebody getting half killed on/in one of these things. Sometimes, ordinary really is safer.
I can believe it. It does seem that the larger "mono-wheels" would be marginally safer overall. But I've lately seen these one-wheel motorcycle things, whose wheel is no bigger (maybe smaller) than that of an average motorcycle. I shudder to imagine what might happen if you strike a curb or sidewalk of decent height. Would your face smite the pavement like a flyswatter? I don't know. Maybe. It's scary.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's a Kool little car,almost like it has model T body parts. Wonder how the light wheels hold up?look a little flimsy ..................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Now that one i really like looks like a small Bugetty ( how every its spelled ) even the right color. KOOOOOL.............Curt

Re looking has knock off nuts on axels, lots of neet small features. Let see i have lawn tractor spindles and a old wheelbarrow,lots of small motors.oh boy another project.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
For sure got about a half doz. bike i want to get going but don't have one yet, but progress is being made,just have to shove the day dreams aside and keep going. Rediong my shop and getting rid of a bunch,hopefully get the rest into cabnets insted of all over the place and n the bench. Thanks for posting that cutey. Maybe just a model to hang from rafters?................Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If then were now and my kids were still kids I think I would look around for a go kart needing an engine and build that little body around it. What a hoot that would be. Who would have thought a steel barrel and a dead wheelbarrow could turn into that little sweetheart. Of course it needs a Villiars midget engine with a foot start to make it complete.
Change the go kart wheels to bicycle or moped wheels. Vroom...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Looked at a few times,just two regular bikes hooked together some kind of platform in between. for the motor runs a belt up to a shaft on back with a friction drive for each wheel.Tie rod from one goose neck to the other minous one set of bars. KOOOOL and simple.................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
OH i like them,first one like the old buckboard seat. Just look better then just 2 bikes together.................Curt

First 2 have a inner rim friction drive?

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello there,
Those people made quite simple and it seems effective vehicle! … and, very fast for such construction? I am not sure if they used full size MTB or variant for children, with 24" wheels? Wheels to me look as original, nothing modified or heavy-duty variant...

Annie,
You always find photos of the cars that I like! Just those days I discussed such variants with my friend John from USA... Style is simple as on video, but with a lot of style. That is the second solution to simplest possible motorised quadricycle - the first one is buck-board in a style of Reb-Bug or Smith Flyer, or Waltham-Orient.

Veterans on first two photos are sometime named Hertel (by designer) and sometime Oakman (by his company), even on period advertisements. There is Australian variant too, just a little different, made on the order got from buyer (the first sketch).

Curtifox is right: friction drive on inner side of the rim! Not so simple to make at home? On one cars, there is variant with two or more speeds managed in that way.
Ciao, Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I think the Hertel design could be done with 20inch and 28inch bicycle wheels which would look reasonably in proportion. The buckboard seat does look too high, but that could brought down lower without too much trouble.

This one would perhaps be the simplest to recreate, but the magnificent red one with the side mounted engine would make a great project even though it is a lot more complicated.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What a fun line of thought with two bicycles side by side. Two identical step through frames with either an in frame engine on one bicycle or centered and between the rear wheels and running a jack shaft to pulley driven sheave on one wheel. Could get more fancy with better results running a differential rear end to the wheels. Just came across a 12hp 4 stroke Briggs & Stratton electric start at the dump contained in a lawn tractor. 6 speed transmission. Interesting to speculate.

One of the fun and interesting things about the early bicycle/motorcycle/cyclecar variations is that there was so much innovation... so many great ideas cooked up in small garages and workshops. So many fledgling companies took flight with so many options for consumers to choose from. Not so many options today... except when I look on this forum and see what's cooking in our little workshops.

I can almost feel the heat from your brain there in Switzerland, my friend... good thing it's winter or you might burst into flames. Ha!

SB