finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Do you have a pic of the salad bowl cover? That sounds interesting. That plastic pull starter really takes away from the vintage look

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
here is the bike and you can read a little more about it on the thread Velo started titled Taylar builds! victorville Ca.

Attachments

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
That does look like it's supposed to be there, but it might be a problem for pedal clearance

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As I said you can get a shallow bowl too, Thrift store! Petco dog food bowls, 99c store serving bowls, heavey pie tins. I bought machine turned serving platters at the 99c store that I'll make Faux crank case covers for the Flyer and no one will ever know what they were.

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Here’s a mini-shroud I made from a old sauce pan for my Robert Thumper build...

Plenty of builders are running these Greyhound 200 engines successfully with out any shrouds but I live in a town with very steep hills and wanted to play it safe.

Hammering over the wooden buck shown was used to rough in the center opening's round over. Sanding with fine to finer grit paper removed years worth of nicks & scratches. Very fine steal wool and Mass brand polish took it to the final desired matte finish.

While it’s obviously still a shroud I think the fact it’s actually metal works with a bike that has a black, silver, and aluminum theme.

Others may disagree- Ha!

-Kirk

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That indeed is a good looking shroud, I wonder what luver would look like? or perhaps two 1" half pipes running verticle to the head HUMMMM! I'll have to give it a try,
Very nice Mr. B you are a wealth of knowledge for sure.
PS got a couple more side profile pic's you got me geek'n now (LOL!)

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
That's really well put together. Now I just have to find a salad bowl or a pan that's small enough for the 49cc motor that I have. I remember seeing someone completely shaving off the shrouds, I'll try and find his build when I'm by an actual computer, but I remember he had success completely removing his

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I know that cutting the fins off the fly wheel decreases the cooling capacity greatly and then you'll have to depend on the forward motion of the bike to keep it cool, ideling at a stop heats the engine quickly without the fins but I'm wondering if maybe the fins could be decreased by a 1/4 or 1/2 the height and maintain at least the minimum cooling draft on the engine,perhaps allowing for a smaller shroud too and increase the peddle clearance at the same time,
Mr. B you really have tickled the imagination with this one
Thanks !

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
These engines were designed for stationary use, I'm sure if you add a nice breeze, those shrouds don't need to be so large.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Statioary use meaning at a certain RPM and Idle speed in a non movining stationary postion, in a bike a totally different situation where Idle,RPM,Weight Ratio and distance of a set idle all are off the charts from just being stationary fixed settings
(hope that makes sense)

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Picked up a pre owned sprocket hub adaptor from one of the members on here, it doesn't fit my hub yet, I'm gonna have to bore it out

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you bore it out do you think it would be possible to knurl the ID ? could be a good thing against slipage, if possble or desired? I took a small file and just did a serries of shalow lines across ID, just for added grip, ain't ever heard of one ever slipping un-less it was installed incorrectly, just a thought if you the equipment to do it and since you have to resize, just remember to under size the bore and not bore to true hub diamater/cicumfrance size or you won't get any grip from the hub adaptor on the hub

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
It doesn't have any groves inside as of now, I think the previous owner had it custom made. I'll try to get it bored out by someone with the skills/ equipment but if I can't ill do it by hand like I do everything else lol

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
It was definitely for a hub because he was also selling
a 44t sprocket with it, didn't get the sprocket because I'll be running a 56t

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I agree 100% with Chris, 56t is good for upper end speed, I've found that the 40 t is a good medium for low and high end speed but again it depends on what you want out of it.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Keep in mind I'm using a 49cc 4 stroke, If I use a ~40 tooth sprocket I'd have a hard time accelerating and say good bye to going up hills

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
ThatS True! I forgot I use the chine 80cc engines with 3 1/2 HP rating but by the time I'm through I've raised the HP by 1 1/2 to 2 HP more, 49cc 4 stroker has better lower end torque too and just remember there is a difference between a hill and an incline (LOL!)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Here is something you don't want to end with when all is said and done
Ref:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46407&page=4 Post 40 on Page 4 picture.

I think 36 X 8 means diameter tire and width. With that width why the need for a stand?

Maybe fill the tires with ballast water just enough to help low center of gravity!

No tipping the beast.

MT

BTW that custom gas tank turned out nice!

Last edited: