What other hobbies or sports do you have besides motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was just curious about the other hobbies the members of this forum.
As for me, besides racing minimotos I started golfing about a year now after a 7 year lay off because of my shoulder problem. It's funny because I've had some expensive sets of clubs in the past (Taylor Made, Ping and Calloway). A few months ago I decided to build a set of clubs. I bought a set of graphite shafts, grips and heads. The whole set cost under $200. This is cheap considering a nice set of clubs are usually $700+. I cut them to my prefered lengths and glued the heads on. I couldn't believe that these cheap clubs I made shaved off 8 strokes off of my game. Are there any other golfers here? If so what type of clubs do you use? Also, what are your other interest or hobbies?

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Re: What other hobbies or sports do you have besides MBs?

I like doing Honda/Acura swaps and putting engines together....video games.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

Fly fishing and sort of the reason I got into MBs.
That's the same reason I got into goped/BoXer scooters. I hated walking a couple of miles to hit the best fishing holes. Only problem was when I caught a couple of big strippers. It was tough trying to carry 50+ lbs of fish on a dirt path while riding a scooter.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

Hiking, preferably rough terrain. Fishing, camping, spelunking and finding copper at all these copper mines around here. I've got three lakes within 5 miles of me, all accessed via dirt trails, which is one small reason I got an MB.....................I never was much into hiking long stretches of flat trails.

I also enjoy tinkering, building and imaginative creating, as well as cutting and splitting firewood. Love the great outdoors!

Can't forget computers and computer oriented program manipulation.

As far as sports go, the closest I could come to that is what we call spring poling. You start at the top of a big steep hill where there is a lot of ,say, 15-20' tall trees, (the steeper the hill, the taller the trees) and you run and jump to catch the top of the first tree, and it will spring you all the way out and down so you can hit the ground and grab the next top of a tree. You do this all the way to the bottom! It's a real rush! TOTALLY!! There's a lot of country here for it.

(Word of warning....do not jump off a cliff to grab a tree top....it may be rooted in rocky ground, in which it will snap at the base and you won't spring!!.......I did that once, thought I broke both my legs when I regained my senses way down there on the bottom!)

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

Fencing (No, not the chain link type!) Mainly Foil but I do Epee and Saber occasionally.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

As far as sports go, the closest I could come to that is what we call spring poling. You start at the top of a big steep hill where there is a lot of ,say, 15-20' tall trees, (the steeper the hill, the taller the trees) and you run and jump to catch the top of the first tree, and it will spring you all the way out and down so you can hit the ground and grab the next top of a tree. You do this all the way to the bottom! It's a real rush! TOTALLY!! There's a lot of country here for it.

(Word of warning....do not jump off a cliff to grab a tree top....it may be rooted in rocky ground, in which it will snap at the base and you won't spring!!.......I did that once, thought I broke both my legs when I regained my senses way down there on the bottom!)
Man Hiker, That one insane sport! I'd be scared of getting speared by a branch and breaking limbs.
You definitely get my Tough Guy Award!

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri

I am a drummer of nearly 30 years experience(list that as a hobby since I play for a church and a Mens Gospel Quartet band member- both of which are not paying positions)
and amatuer astronomer (built my own scope from a kit, not unlike building these MB's and have purchased a scope too). Sadly i've not been able to get away for this in the last couple years, but in the recent past have been pretty active in Fly Fishing. so i have things to occupy my time at any hour of the day rain or shine

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri

I couldn't believe that these cheap clubs I made shaved off 8 strokes off of my game. ?
Here is a nother nifty tool for shaving points off you game...... replace those little mini pencils you get to keep track of your score and bring along a full sized one with an ERASER! ;D

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

I play golf a couple of times a week. I suck at it but I have fun. I like to fish in the summer. Micropterus Salmoides are my species of choice. I like to work on and fly experimental airplanes. I play violin in my church orchestra and guitar in a church praise band. And I have two grandsons that I love to spoil. In fact my son says I've escalated spoiling into an artform. Hey I take my hobbies seriously..................

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

I have a garden and make flutes. i play the pennywhistle / Native American Style flutes and harmonica just for fun. Diatonic and pentatonic instruments seem to work for me. Been working with a dijeridoo I made and try to play.

I used to play golf but kinda got burnt out on it playing 2 times a week for a year straight. Right now I just play my Playstation 3 and build bikes. I like freeride mountain biking and do a little urban bashin' on the Rancid bikes that I make in the iRide shop. Let's see...I guess that's about it. I don't really have time to start any other hobbies because frame building takes up quite a bit of my free time.

On a side note, tomorrow I pick up my new TIG welder WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

Here is a nother nifty tool for shaving points off you game...... replace those little mini pencils you get to keep track of your score and bring along a full sized one with an ERASER! ;D
LOL That's funny because I cleaned out my bag today and found 14 of those tiny pencils scattered among the 6 pockets of my bag.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

I used to play golf but kinda got burnt out on it playing 2 times a week for a year straight. Right now I just play my Playstation 3 !
I wish I had the time to play twice a week and my boys wish they had a PS3.
Congrats on the TIG welder. IMO TIG welders are the best.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

I've enjoyed a bunch of hobbies living here in the Ohio River Valley. Since I live real close to
river I've been into boating and fishing the tributaries for some time. Started making my own
tackle and learned to fly fish and tie my own flies. As an outgrowth of boating I got into
hovercraft and tried my hand at building a WIG (wing in groundeffect) which was real spooky
to opperate. (dad always told me altitude is your friend)

My curiosity turned to building a tree house I could actually live in and I got one built
and lived in it for awhile some years ago. Nice in the summer but a heavy winter storm
blew it in.

When I was growing up my grandfather got me into listening to ShortWave Radio which I still
enjoy and he taught me how to make wine and beer. I do that from time to time but since I'm
not that much of a drinker I don't make much of it.

Mom was a genealogist and got me into helping her with it but I found it dull, so I began to
take a voice recorder and later a videocam to do oral history with the people she would talk to.
Today I can set those things up in web sites and make podcast for those willing to participate.
In time I hope to be able to UTube with videopodcast and embed those in genealogy sites.

My next effort will be to build an "Earthship" energy self sufficient house somewhere higher
and dryer so I'll have little if any house cost other than building it. It will likely be my last and
ongoing hobby as I'm not getting any younger. A place that's all one floor that doesn't require
much upkeep as it's mostly underground and has plenty of room for me to work from home
in comfort. The built on greenhouse even provides for year around container gardening.

Attachments

Rayzor

Feb 14, 2009
Bako, Ca

i bang on engines, never managing to finish/fix them (ADD??) and i play tennis for my highschool

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

As an outgrowth of boating I got into
hovercraft and tried my hand at building a WIG (wing in groundeffect) which was real spooky
to opperate. (dad always told me altitude is your friend)

This is absolutely awesome. I can honestly say I've never seen one of these before.

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut

I ride pedal bikes for my main hobby/passion soon to be motored bikes. I also like fishing camping and photography. One of th main reasons to drop a motor on my bikes is for long distance riding and camping hoping to turn it into a daily rider and touring bike. I also like computer building and repairing thm and working on Fox body Mustang GTs don't own one yet myslf but like helping friends work on theirs. I would also say cutting the lawn is a hobby call me crazy I enjoy ding it.