What other hobbies or sports do you have besides motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Re: What other hobbies or sports do you have besides MBs?

live steam is really cool! im jealous

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

That's the same reason I got into goped/BoXer scooters. I hated walking a couple of miles to hit the best fishing holes. Only problem was when I caught a couple of big strippers. It was tough trying to carry 50+ lbs of fish on a dirt path while riding a scooter.
Why were you hauling fish- I would have been worriednabout those poor poor strippers all alone in the woods. LOL

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL

That's cool. Those little trains have always been intriguing to me. I know little kids go wild over them.
Both little kids, and the big kids like us. The main owner of the property lives on-site. The house is technically a two story. The bottom is a machine shop and the top is the house; stairs on the outside.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

interesting thread,lots of hobbies.
as a mechanic,i guess im kind of a motorhead.
i like building stuff to make things easier,like the gambrel hanger so a man doesent have to struggle while hanging a deer. four,actually and using a winch made it so easy.i dont hunt,it was for a friend.

fixing cars for little or no money is my greatest pleasure,helping people with their cars that really need it.

i like tools and machinery of all kinds,hopes are i can get into restoring a few of the pieces i collected over the years.

ever heard of a cusman lobster?
i have two of them. those i really want to restore.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

Those Cushman Lobsters are really cool. I had a couple of trucksters, but now just a 1959 Eagle, in boxes. I belong to the Vista Engine Museum near San Diego and have a modest collection of old emgines. I also collect Maytag items related to my engines, desert water bags, ooga horns, hog oilers, tube radios, barber chairs, spark plugs, Whizzers, bicycles and related items, old clocks, wood stoves, license plates and many other items I can't remember. I also like making DIY motorbikes, miniature cars and whirligigs. I make some of my own tools, like a fender roller, small engine stands, small stamping dies, etc.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Those Cushman Lobsters are really cool. I had a couple of trucksters, but now just a 1959 Eagle, in boxes. I belong to the Vista Engine Museum near San Diego and have a modest collection of old emgines. I also collect Maytag items related to my engines, desert water bags, ooga horns, hog oilers, tube radios, barber chairs, spark plugs, Whizzers, bicycles and related items, old clocks, wood stoves, license plates and many other items I can't remember. I also like making DIY motorbikes, miniature cars and whirligigs. I make some of my own tools, like a fender roller, small engine stands, small stamping dies, etc.
I've heard of almost everything you mention, but I just have to ask about one thing. What's a hog oiler??? LOL I didn't even know hogs needed oil.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

Oh yeah, biknut, hogs love mud and oil. It keeps them cool and discourages mites and ticks. Farmers that didn't have a hog wallow would poor oil on a toe sack and wrap and tie it around a fence post. The hogs would rub against it and get all oiled up. The ones who could afford them would buy mechanical oilers, which consisted of a basin for the oil and some way to transfer it to the hog by rubbing up against it. Most were really works of art using rollers, wheels and chains as the moving parts, and were usually made of cast iron. When I joined the museum in 1985 I fell in love with the oilers. A friend of mine had a pot belly pig and when I told him, he had to have one. Well we finally found one at a local antique swap meet and he bought it. We had no idea what kind of oil to use so he called Midway Feed to ask them. They had no clue, but referred us to a vet. The vet didn't know either but said vegetable oil would not hurt. His pig drank almost a gallon of Wessen and really made a mess in his pen after digesting it with his other food. The next time at the museum, we asked one of the old guys. After laughing at our story he told us to just use old engine drain oil. That's what the farmers used when they changed their tractor oil. Let me know if you want photos.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Oh yeah, biknut, hogs love mud and oil. It keeps them cool and discourages mites and ticks. Farmers that didn't have a hog wallow would poor oil on a toe sack and wrap and tie it around a fence post. The hogs would rub against it and get all oiled up. The ones who could afford them would buy mechanical oilers, which consisted of a basin for the oil and some way to transfer it to the hog by rubbing up against it. Most were really works of art using rollers, wheels and chains as the moving parts, and were usually made of cast iron. When I joined the museum in 1985 I fell in love with the oilers. A friend of mine had a pot belly pig and when I told him, he had to have one. Well we finally found one at a local antique swap meet and he bought it. We had no idea what kind of oil to use so he called Midway Feed to ask them. They had no clue, but referred us to a vet. The vet didn't know either but said vegetable oil would not hurt. His pig drank almost a gallon of Wessen and really made a mess in his pen after digesting it with his other food. The next time at the museum, we asked one of the old guys. After laughing at our story he told us to just use old engine drain oil. That's what the farmers used when they changed their tractor oil. Let me know if you want photos.
LOL. I guess hogs lucky enough to have a deluxe oiler, is where the term hog heaven came from.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

Yep. I lived in Wiley, Garland, Emory and Mineola. Had an uncle with a pig farm. Moved when I was five and never knew of hog oilers until I joined the museum.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've been on medical leave for 5 months now and it's driving me crazy so besides riding my electric bike, I've been doing some wrenching and rebuilding the motors on my jet skis. I'm going to start racing on water again oncemy legs are normal again. Besides....it hurts less falling on water than the pavement.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've been on medical leave for 5 months now and it's driving me crazy so besides riding my electric bike, I've been doing some wrenching and rebuilding the motors on my jet skis. I'm going to start racing on water again once my legs are normal again. Besides....it hurts less falling on water than the pavement.
Not if you're going really, really fast! Water feels like concrete if you are 65mph fast and eat it ;)

Be careful Ken, we're gettin' old and speed kills (if you fall). Just don't fall ;)

Take care and hope to see you soon!

scotto-

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Not if you're going really, really fast! Water feels like concrete if you are 65mph fast and eat it ;)

Be careful Ken, we're gettin' old and speed kills (if you fall). Just don't fall ;)

Take care and hope to see you soon!

scotto-
So true Scott
Usually I ride fast but in control. I just found out there is a jet ski race series (DJSA) only an hour away so I'm going to put an 1200 in one of my wave blaster hulls. Hopefully when I fall, I'll skip across the water like a flat stone!

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
im building a Dumas big airboat with an 8cc nitro engine out of plywood and mahogany. I heard the kits have been discontinued after allmost 30 years....maybe my last chance to build a beauty.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
So true Scott
Usually I ride fast but in control. I just found out there is a jet ski race series (DJSA) only an hour away so I'm going to put an 1200 in one of my wave blaster hulls. Hopefully when I fall, I'll skip across the water like a flat stone!

Now there's a use for airbags.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm giving up MB racing and will start racing this next year. Best part is two locations. One is 45 minutes away and the other is 2.5 hours. Not like the usual 6+ hour drive to the mb ones. I'll still check out and watch the MB races on occasions but no more racing. It hurts too much falling on pavement.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Very kool Ken! Have not been on a jet ski in like ten years.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 80's and at the lakes and saw a wet bike for the first time. I thought it was coolest thing ever.

Good luck hope you win a few.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Dave,
My son and I went out riding all day today and burnt up 15 gallons of fuel.
I rode a wet jet a few times and they are a blast especially jumping 30-40 ft yacht wakes. Even though it was Suzuki's one and only PWC it was a goodie!