Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Last post didn't include all the images & for some reason this one won't either??

Problem with copper and brass is it changes color etc. as it ages, it is also the beauty of copper is in the patina that develops with age. The subtleties that develop add character to the metal it is pleasing to the eye. The high polish of silver & chrome and sometimes aluminum and stainless steel are highly valued, but not so in brass and copper.

The problem when using large pieces of brass and copper is seeing past the glitz and sparkle of the new bright metal & high luster polish cause it doesn't last it just obscures what will be. I can chemically age copper and brass but the "patina" doesn't look quite natural to me, probably because it isn't.

This makes it very difficult, at least for me to know when some is too much enough sometimes isn't. It's art....and in the eye of the beholder. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The mark of a good build is whether it looks like something you'd want to own or not. Don't bother wrapping it, I'll take it with me.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Silver Bear & Ludwig props are very much appreciated.

Seriously more copper? Well yeah, kinda. The tank caps are just stuck on to gauge how much more I need to beat them with the hammer & try to visualize what they will look like. The tank caps and side plates behind the tank are 100% hammer finished, but you can't see it under the flash. Actually I had to walk around till I got the light right to see it myself from 10 feet, though up close it's obvious...time or chems would change all that & I dislike the chemicals. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I like to see things go round, also up and down etc. mechanical stuff Rube Goldberg stuff. Motion facinates me, open sprockets,chains, cogs, gears, levers, cams, rockers and belts gather & hold my attention. I've resisted covering the sprockets on the motor side although several have mentioned that a guard would be prudent. I'm giving in to their logic of safety, bell bottoms could return to style and I might start cross dressing in my old age or Fifi the neighborhood attack Poodle might miss the bell bottoms and end up French cut in the works; so guard it will be. Probably made of copper and steel with a bit of period style, yet to be imagined by the Old guy. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm really pleased with the way the rear of the bike performed. Rode nice on some pretty rough sections of street at the posted limits or close to it. Air spring & shock coupled with the Simplex strap spring absorbed & recovered well. Rebound speed is adjustable & the shock & spring have separate air chambers & valving. I've used these for several years on mountain bike rear suspensions so I know they are rugged as well. Never re-purposed one before but I'm already convinced that for a couple hundred bucks it makes a hard tail ride easy enough for this old guy. Of course the longer wheelbase, 3" rear tire & Rich Phillips gel filled saddle & wide steel pan also enhance the ride comfort.

Love the way the front of the bike looks, yet I don't have a clue what it will handle like at higher speeds @ 25 to 30 mph, it's fine... although I've had to do a bit of adjusting to bars, fork, air pressure & brakes in order to say that. I don't think straight line control will be a problem at higher speeds, don't know what to expect in the turns. I hope do a short run up to 40 or 45 mph next week sometime and try a few different twists & turns out at the airfield as well. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nice to see a marked up tick in forum activity of all types. New builds, up dates, sharing, old friends & memories. Cool stuff that's interesting, informative & up lifting. Join in, not just new builds. It's really great to connect & re-connect with others.

Yesterday was spent enjoying a ride & doing maintenance on two of my other bikes. The "Indian Scout" & "Outlaw". Replaced a throttle housing on the Scout and clutch work on the Outlaw. Both 66 cc 2-strokes. I love these little motors & have had great good fortune with them over the years. Very few problems.
My Navaho has almost 250 hrs on it & I ride it daily. It has the same parts I installed originally and it's a reed valve engine with a lot of performance mods. I guess I'm just luckier than most when it comes to motors of any kind, just haven't had many of them blow up on me. Rick C

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Cut 5" off the straight section of copper exhaust just looked a bit long and that's where we'll braze it. Made a simple hanger bracket which may turn out to be only temporary, but will support well enough for test rides. Used fiberglass as baffle material. I received the stainless straps to secure the fiberglass header tape. It's black cloth & I'll soak the material overnight before wrapping the stainless tube section of the header pipe. I've held off on the final brazing while I tried various quantities of glass in the muffler section. I ended up adding quite a bit of glass, the more packing the louder it becomes, now sounds quite mellow at low rpm but sounds quite aggressive as throttle is added.

I also worked some more on the forks, swapping the large rubber cushion to the top as Pat D. suggested & tightening the springs a little more, after I lubed the bearings again. I'm hopeful it's about right.

Ton of small details to attend to yet. When I'm satisfied with the way she runs and handles I'll tear it back down to skim the frame and sand for final painting & final assembly. I'm sure to make some changes before then. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
They're Summit Racing stainless zips for securing header wraps, common speed shop item. I've also found that after the wraps are secured and dry they can be sprayed with hi-temp paint and that really aids in preventing the glass cloth from aging & raveling. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Wret, Your 5 speed build is splendid. I've read through your thread twice...the whole thing & referred back for special points of interest on numerous occasions as well. Great write up & photos.

Hi-temp black, header wrapped in black fiber glass, tank end caps installed, as well as the clutch side copper engine covers. Starts great & has about all the no load running that I'm willing to dedicate to it. Copper exhaust is a bit loud for me but sounds good. I can ride something else if I want quiet.

I carried the rough gator hide theme into the copper exhaust system, it's rough as gator skin as well and with patina the pattern will be something special. I may help it along chemically cause the raw shiny is just too much, lot left to do. I'm going to the back of the bike next & get that all set up next. Then some more ride time!! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've been re-visiting "old" threads the last few mornings over coffee most of which are quite familiar to me, yet many I'd missed somehow. This is no revelation to most of you - there are some truly gifted builders on this forum! I just wanted to express to each of you how refreshing it is to finally find a group of guys and gals who don't typically take the easy route or follow the crowd. The results are often unique, distinctive and interesting and that's why I find myself, with my coffee, starting the day in this most enjoyable way.

I noticed that by excluding the worst photos last evening I left off the completed textured copper exhaust. Quite blurry but I'll add some better shots later. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Silver bear we've got a great weather forecast for this afternoon 70 + degrees and light winds so I'm wrenching this morning and riding in the warm sunshine this afternoon! My shop guys think the "Copper Gator" ate the shop cat as poor "Ratchet" hasn't been seen for a few days. So it's past time to get the Simplex Servi-Cycle (sorta, kinda) pedaling and putt,putting down the Territorial roads of the Indian Nation. drn2 Rick C. Still just having fun

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Silver bear we've got a great weather forecast for this afternoon 70 + degrees and light winds so I'm wrenching this morning and riding in the warm sunshine this afternoon! My shop guys think the "Copper Gator" ate the shop cat as poor "Ratchet" hasn't been seen for a few days. So it's past time to get the Simplex Servi-Cycle (sorta, kinda) pedaling and putt,putting down the Territorial roads of the Indian Nation. drn2 Rick C. Still just having fun
Just took the dog on her morning constitutional and see it is eight below zero at the moment and a windchill of minus twenty six. Think I'll stay inside while you are out riding. Have fun!
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ouch Silver bear, that hurts & it's 60 something here as I post. You sure love your dog, but I know he's your partner & worth it.

I took the Copper Gator out for about twenty minutes, long enough this time to heat the copper & get some rainbow color started on the pipes. Seems to be running a little on the rich side but not enough to foul the plug, not going to mess with it at this point. Throttle response is also a bit on the slow side as well, but when it catches wow! Ludwig wasn't kidding about grunt off the mark for the CG 125 engine & I'm just feathering the throttle and clutch. Coaster brake lever rubbed some & went with a bolt that featured a low profile & one axle spacer washer & clears nicely now.

Worked on the clutch this morning as it wasn't disengaging completely even at full adjustment, built a new bracket & now it's all love & butterflies. Shifts are crisp & no slippage. Applied lock tight on all threaded connections that had loosened up & a few I just never trust anyway, at least I don't trust any more...experience. Fork is behaving much better than the last outing thanks in large part to Pat's suggestion about spring cushions. Thanks Pat and also big thanks to Ludwig with his racing CG 125 engine insights & encouragement, racing reveals things about men and machines about as quickly and accurately as anything I can think of except armed combat.

Overall great day & I was right...didn't need the chain guard for the test run.

Rick C.

Attachments