Lurker's new project

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Making some progress on the 400 racer. I spent the last week stripping the engine and fabricating the engine mount, and aging the engine. The goal for this bike is to make it look 100+ years old, like grandpa forgot he had it behind the barn. I was very inspired by Mr.B's Excalibur build that I knew I had to do something different. I spent so much time making sure my last bike was perfect in the smallest details that I need a change of pace. Also with this being a prototype I want to have the ability to modify things and not worry about having to repaint things. But just to reassure you all quality will not be sacrificed I just want a bike I'm less protective of.

The engine is mostly cast aluminum with a living patina on it, made out of iron oxide paint and various chemicals. This means it will only get better looking, more weathered, and realistic with time.

I almost for got to mention that the front of the frame will run through the forked part on the front of the engine. this will keep everything very compact and balanced.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Lurker,
That engine looks so old I hardly recognize it. If you ever sell the completed bike someone may actually "restore" it. You know, strip it all down, clean it up, and give it a fresh paint job! Seriously, though, I am sure it's going to look 100 years old when your done. Very cool!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looks totally awesome Lurker, can I make a suggestion though, if you haven't already planned to do so? I think your engine would look even better with a faux head cover. Im playing around with a similar setup on my GX160. I'm on my phone so can't post a link but if you watch the YouTube video "Dixie Flyer board track racer" you will see the round aluminium pieces that make up the faux head.

Could you share the technique that got your engine looking so damn nice, it would be appreciated.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Looks totally awesome Lurker, can I make a suggestion though, if you haven't already planned to do so? I think your engine would look even better with a faux head cover. Im playing around with a similar setup on my GX160. I'm on my phone so can't post a link but if you watch the YouTube video "Dixie Flyer board track racer" you will see the round aluminium pieces that make up the faux head.

Could you share the technique that got your engine looking so damn nice, it would be appreciated.
Here is the link to the building of the "Dixie Flyer board track racer".
http://youtu.be/8Zk-QIZpVLI

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
"New patina" taken to a new level. I honestly thought that engine was something you found at an auction or in the stationary engines catagory on Ebay until bout the 3rd pic. Really nice work. Care to share the formula ?

MHF

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys and thanks for the suggestion Harry.
I have 2 main goals with this bike, quick build time and as little money invested as I can. I have had people tell me to make a successful business you need to make double what you put in to it. With that being said I need to keep cost and time down, and so far so good.

The bike construction is made up of 4 stages
1. The transmission
2. Engine mount fabrication
3. Fram modification
4. Gas tank construction.

I only have about 30 hrs invested in fabrication time currently, and I'm half done on my check list so I think I'm doing pretty good so far.

When I started this project I was hoping to have it completed in 3 months tops, but due to an opportunity of a lifetime I will be going to Japan In a few months, so my budget for this build is currently $0.00.

As for the patina here is a link to everything you need
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/index.cfm

If you search sculptnoueau on youtube there are a few demo videos. It's easier to watch than explain.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
To Japan? You are crazy!
I have been working at Hondas some time ago at Wako/Tokyo...that City is completely crazy.... I have never seen such a busy and crazy place in my life...
What are you going to do there?
Whish you all the best!
Do you now that renting a parking space is almost more expansive than the rent for an appartement?
And having a registered parking space is the prerequisite for having a car...that is absolutely crazy....!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
To Japan? You are crazy!
I have been working at Hondas some time ago at Wako/Tokyo...that City is completely crazy.... I have never seen such a busy and crazy place in my life...
What are you going to do there?
Whish you all the best!
Do you now that renting a parking space is almost more expansive than the rent for an appartement?
And having a registered parking space is the prerequisite for having a car...that is absolutely crazy....!
That was my thoughts to. But if you have never been there its a nice place to visit.
I have a brother that lives in the LA area and i go visit every so often. There so much to see and stuff going on. Car show just about every week.But i sure would not want to live there...............Curt

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Making some progress on the 400 racer. I spent the last week stripping the engine and fabricating the engine mount, and aging the engine. The goal for this bike is to make it look 100+ years old, like grandpa forgot he had it behind the barn. I was very inspired by Mr.B's Excalibur build that I knew I had to do something different. I spent so much time making sure my last bike was perfect in the smallest details that I need a change of pace. Also with this being a prototype I want to have the ability to modify things and not worry about having to repaint things. But just to reassure you all quality will not be sacrificed I just want a bike I'm less protective of.

The engine is mostly cast aluminum with a living patina on it, made out of iron oxide paint and various chemicals. This means it will only get better looking, more weathered, and realistic with time.

I almost for got to mention that the front of the frame will run through the forked part on the front of the engine. this will keep everything very compact and balanced.

How well will this finish hold up to heat?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm very excited about going to Japan. A friend of mine has parents that live in Osaka and they have invited us to stay with them for few weeks. It has been a life long dream of mine to visit Japan, so I must seize this opportunity.

dracothered, the finish should hold up fine, it is a very durable pant. I fired her up for the first time to day and let it run for a few min. and the patina still looks good. The neat thing about this patina is that the crappier it looks the better and more realistic it looks. Obviously you would not apply the iron oxide paint to the exhaust manifold, however you do want to apply the chemicals that create the rust.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
The exhaust is basically the same as my v-twin bike. Here is a quick diagram to explain the components. The 1 1/4 pipe give it a nice deep tone. I fired it up for the first time last night and I think it sound grat. I wish I would have had some batteries in my camera, cause it was shooting huge flames and it looked really cool.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The exhaust is basically the same as my v-twin bike. Here is a quick diagram to explain the components. The 1 1/4 pipe give it a nice deep tone. I fired it up for the first time last night and I think it sound grat. I wish I would have had some batteries in my camera, cause it was shooting huge flames and it looked really cool.
That's an impressive camera, mine only takes pictures.:D

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Thanks for the explanation!

BTW, please don’t paint with those colors...

“-)

-Kirk

shawnped

Dec 30, 2012
SO-IL
sorry if this has been asked before; are any mods required to run the engine upright? I have been searching for an answer to this for days. thanks in advance.