Villiers Boardtrack Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Heres some pics guys, pretty good for a 55 year old motor, thats been siezed for 10 years.

One crankcase cover already sandblasted, looking good i think, what about you?

Cheers, Cam.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw the latest photo you gave. The crankcase cover was sand blasted I understand. Anything else sand blasted.

I wanted to sand blast paint on the exterior of an engine to make ready for repainting, but I had already put the gaskets on with additional sealant and felt that sand blasting would get to the seals. In addition the engine was not disassembled and plugging and masking may still allow some sand grit particles to be very difficult to prevent from getting where there are moving surfaces.

If I have another engine project that I would want to sand blast the outside of the cylinder, on the fins carefully to not end up cutting through, what are some things that you do to make it work good? Is duct tape work well for masking?

The cylinder and piston on your project look quite good. Diesel you used is quite cheaper than the marketed liquid seize removal products so I will have to keep that in mind for any projects like this that I may have in the future.

Thanks

Measure Twice

Last edited:

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Duct tape is the best masking material for sandblasting, dont leave it on there for too long though, it leaves a residue.

The best way to do motors is to completley dissasemble, then after blowing it all out you can be sure there is no garnet inside the motor!

Diesel is pretty much equivelent to penetrene, it just works a bit slower, bear in mind i left mine for 24 hours!

Cheers, Cam.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hope not too far off topic -restoration - Re: Villiers Boardtrack Racer

Hope not too far off topic -restoration - Re: Villiers Boardtrack Racer
On a previous post #19 this tread, I mention I took a couple weeks with a Briggs 5S I own.

I have pic of it attached as well as other pics of an aux gen on a B17 Flying Fortress Bomber I visited while on the Wings of Freedom Tour.
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tour_b-17g_pics.htm
Just did the walk through as I can’t yet afford to get on board for a flight just yet.

There were also other nice radial engines on the B24 Liberator Bomber. At a few feet away with inline 12, Mustang Fighter could be viewed. Watched them take off, fly, and land as well as the walk through. But no touching the Mustang that was not part of the walk through tour.

Measure Twice

Attachments

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Is the briggs in the process of restoration mt? looks very old!

Thats a beasty generator! would take a few bullets

I dated the last engine i got at 10/51 which is october, 1951 - making this engine 59 years old to this day, i just have to pull the cover off the first engine tomoro, to date it.

Getting exited now, hope fully not too long before its going.

Cheers, Cam.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
As a reply to harry76 - Villiers Boardtrack Racer about muffler I have that on my own post as it got a bit long. If you or other will view there if you like.

In any case not the green painted gen set is from a restored B17 I visited by going on a tour and is not owned by me. It did look like all it had was a pipe coming out without a muffler and it sent the exhaust directly out the aircraft.

More at my own post if you desire

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/motor-bike-diyer-build-add-side-29678.html

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is the briggs in the process of restoration mt? looks very old!

Thats a beasty generator! would take a few bullets

I dated the last engine i got at 10/51 which is october, 1951 - making this engine 59 years old to this day, i just have to pull the cover off the first engine tomoro, to date it.

Getting exited now, hope fully not too long before its going.

Cheers, Cam.

My Briggs 5S I forget, but I have the info on the old thing by Model Serial and I think it is two years younger than your old engine. It came off a self propelled reel mower that said Moto Mower Company founded in 1919. So I guess they had about 30 years of good business, but they person leaving it all at the curb could have taken better care not to get it rained on and rust the exhaust valve in place. If anyone has info on that company let me know. I guess since it came with a Briggs when it was trashed, I think maybe try to contact Briggs about Moto Mower?

The mix-up on not seeing the clearest pic on the post #2 about the muffler I now know what you mean now. If you check out and look at the 6th picture down on this web page of The World of Motor Cycles dot com about a 1914 Indian, you see the same a pipe cut at an angle pointed downward. No baffles in the short piece of pipe. Just like I guess most piston driven aircraft, no baffles or resonators, damn noisy!

Vintage Indian Motorcycle Photos

I heard one of the WW2 vets speaking when I was on the B17 tour talk about what really help protect other than thin skin aluminum of the aircraft, it was the radio sections that had RF shields.

Maybe that’s why a lot of that stuff, especially with wire wound transformers that included iron core, instead of today’s switching supplies, are called boat anchors! They can stop some stuff, but really you would have to be lucky to be at the right angle to have it protect you in that manner.

I suspect this radio component some time took the hit instead and so it was mentioned.

I know of a similar kind of event where I guy from a company that at the time was making underwater direction finding for scuba and some to military. The military version he was trying out in Monterey, CA had a way thicker aluminum cover on the console attached to the high pressure hose. A great white shark put him in the hospital, but his torso was not affected.

The more vulnerable area than legs and shoulder got protection from the scuba cylinder and the console. The meat was his belly in the sandwich. Teeth marks were made in the tanks and the console, and he just got static pressure bruise in the torso.

Let’s all be that lucky!

Ride safe!!!

Measure Twice

Last edited:

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
I was just straightening that brass points cap thingy, was/is pretty beat up.

Do the crank tomorrow, hope on a reasssemble before the weekend, the alumnium plate on the flywheel didnt polish up as nice as the other one, it has been eaten away quite bad, so i plan to make a new one, but it will do for the moment.

Lets hope the coil doesnt give me trouble, otherwise im going to have to convert it to electronic ignition.

Cheers, Cam.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Way Way more talented that me. I am always green with envy when I see one of these restoration. And to think I could have been learning these skill all my life instead of wasting my time with women and booze. Oh well.... I still get to see what you guys do and marvel at it.

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Thanks man : - ) This is the most thorough restoration i have ever done!!

Ugg sorry guys, will post the pics of what i did today tomoro morning,
im just real exhausted - sorry

Cheers, Cam.

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Went down on saturday, heres how far i got,

Cogged pulley is off the harmonic balancer for a mitsubishi 4g63, have got another one to machine tomorrow, what do ya think?

Cheers, Cam.

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Thanks bro, im still deciding if i should use a single or double vee belt pulley, twin belts look cool but its going to take up 40mm on the end of that shaft, and i don't think i have 40 actually, one would be easier, and it could also mean if i got stuck into it i could have the driveline sussed by tomorrow, which means getting the frame in very quickley!

I also don't have any twin belt pulleys come to think of it

Cheers, Cam.