Villiers Boardtrack Racer

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It only takes a moment, doesn't it. Had a little mishap yesterday less serious than yours, but still hurt plenty. I was using a side grinder with wire wheel to remove paint from an old moped gas tank, holding the tank in one hand and on my lap (good idea, eh?) and the tool in the other. End of day, tired and almost done I got my T shirt caught into the spinning wire wheel which sucked it up against my stomach until it got bound up with T shirt and me. Shut if off and removed T shirt and bits of me from the tool. Walking around a little slowly at the moment. Don't think I'll do that again.
Broke my big toe earlier this summer, but pretty good now. I'm all done gimping around to stay off that foot.
I hope not too much got damaged, but I imagine it was not good with a car coming down on your foot. So many little bones in the foot and every one of them potential trouble. Take care and heal up.
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I did much the same as you last week SB, i was removing the paint from the mudguards for my Briggs build with a 4" grinder with wire wheel (and safety guard removed), when it caught the welders glove i was wearing and got caught up in the glove against my forearm. Took off a fair bit of skin and hurt like buggery, especially in the shower that night.

But yeah SB you are right, it only takes a second for it to go all wrong....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yeah, those grinders are great for removing paint in a hurry and even quicker with skin. Like a chainsaw that's nice and sharp, cuts into wood aggressively and into your leg even better. Always best to play things safe seeing the danger beforehand and also always a bad idea to work with power tools when you're tired and attention is lagging. Ask me how I know this.
We all of us who make and fix things have our own stories of mishaps. Sometimes you wonder at how well the body heals and how unlikely it is that we're still alive. I've had four near deaths myself... a near drowning as a toddler, choking from an allergic reaction to antibiotics in my twenties, a head on collision in my forties and fifteen years ago being struck by lightning through my ear and out between the eyes, forehead and crown. I don't recommend it. Bones mend, the brain finds new neural pathways, skin heals over... pretty amazing to still wake up in the morning all fired up to work on a bike project. Never imagined I'd be thirty, let alone an beat up old fellow of sixty six. Every day is a gift for sure. Take care, bud.
SB

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Hey guys, i got hold of a 3 speed sturmey archer gear selector to match my back hub, which is primo because they are so retro!

I have a whole bunch of cool pics to put up, tomorrow night i hope!

Cheers, Cam.

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
The foots healing up really slowly and is still brusied, oh well

No pics tonight, am so knackered, its quarter past eleven and ive just sat down now, sorry

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Any pics yet Cam? Cant wait to see your progress... i got mine going and although its a little slow off the mark once it gets moving its sooooooo much fun, i havent stopped riding it..... cant wait to see how 2 of these engines go.

The engine does about 60kmh but is slower off the mark then a 50cc chinagirl but 1000 times more enjoyable to ride, makes me wanna build more of these Villiers bikes.

Just wondering what oil ratio you run in yours?

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Dude that engine is awesom wunder if a person could pull a burt munro and jimmy-rig a vintage looking 50cc cilinder/head for a chinese engine that looks indian-ey

I have good ideas but people stil call me crazy

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Just wondering what oil ratio you run in yours?
Old ratio of oil is 10-12:1 but thats sae30 viscosity, so newer 2 stroke oils ive been told to run at 15- 25:1, but i really have no idea otherwise :/

If you have a lathe or and end mill, a head would be a piece of cake to construct for a 2 stroke id say

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Does the 2nd and 3rd bike have Villiers engines in them? This sort of Villiers?

Was the 2 bikes with multiple engines built with the same person? Looks very cool.... how is your build progressing?

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Yes, thats the mark 2 midget, i have one of those

The build is not progressing, i have been working too hard to apply creative measures to my beeseekill...

Oh well..

Cheers, Cam.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have looked at another post on this site about some mfr that has a design to have two engines (think 2 strokers) that have a gear that connects the two and uses 1 carb.

These two and three engine motor bikes pictured that you posted are chained together, same effect. There was someone commenting though that if the multiple cylinders did not have a common crankshaft then it was somewhat less whatever.

Maybe timing is what they were concerned that it was not as good. What did they sound like running? I bet you could tell especially if they were under load and accelerating.

Other stuff, I made it back about a month ago from Burning Man 2011 my second burn.
El Pulpo Mechanico was a mutant vehicle there. On Youtube Burning Man 2011: Steampunk Octopus - YouTube
This thing was just outstanding as well as much more.

My motor bike that when finished I know now a bit of how I will make a structure attached to the motor bike frame to attach a covering to make it look like a fish or whale mobile. This for the next burn.

I had come across someone who had a bicycle made to look like a fish and lit up at night. There was no motor on it like I will be trying. Aside from it looking great, the way it was made with a gate that allowed the rider to not have to be some way lowered onto the seat as the covering was at least a foot and a half sticking out from the frame.
When straddled over frame the door could be closed and you didn’t notice any seam.

I shall be back at finishing my motor bike build in a few weeks. I had a mishap with cleaning my windsurf gear a week ago. Not sailing, but removing the boom into two parts to rinse out salt water, I accidently had hit myself on my calf and now am waiting for the muscle to heal. I can only limp about so I got to take it easy for a while.

I know now to be more careful. When removing the parts in the future I have myself completely out of the way. It is kind of like safer to pull not push a wrench. This incase it slips off and you otherwise have skinned knuckles. The caveat is that you also have to have the rest of yourself out of the way, why would someone punch themselves in their own mouth, you know?

Measure Twice

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw this at the Air Space Museum in Balboa Park, San Diego, CA. The starter on the German Fighter Jet for its engine was another engine. This piston two stroke two cylinder job shows the pull ring. I guess that is the recoil starter like on a lawn mower engine.

10 horse power and weighing 35 lbs, would be nice to put on a motor bike;)

Measure Twice

Attachments

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I did a google search on that engine, very interesting stuff. I don't think I've ever seen so many fins in such a small area. WW2 technology is still fascinating.

MHF

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I suspect that given the fairly light weight and a substantial horsepower on that twin two stoke engine, that the compression ratio may be quite high. Please tell me of that link and if it had data like that.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but one other thing that is a bit more closely related, pictures of a motor bike called “Norman Motobyk”, from the Automotive Museum next door. I looked and saw that it had levers that pointed forward on the handle bar ends. Then it had a small thumb lever on the right handle for throttle. On the left handle it had a clutch lever and integral with it a smaller lever, must be to hold in the clutch for at a stop is what I thought. The part I still wondered was another lever on the left handle bar with the end broken off a bit raggedy and yet not repaired in this museum, I think since it is routed down at the cylinder it goes to a compression release. I tried to get a better picture, but what I got I still am not sure it is a compression release. See the third pic where it is a shaddowy cable going to the left of the throttle cable. Also see some external hardware by the area the cable goes by the cylinder head.
Any thoughts?

Also pics of old Indian Motor Cycles. 1916 Harley 3 speed 2 cylinder. It mentions that it was owned originally by Henry Pitts who was killed in WWII. It was given the daughter Ms Ward’s husband James E. Ward by a relative Howard W. Parker. The Harley was nickname “Silent Grey Fellow” and eventually was donated to the San Diego Automotive Museum.

Additionally a 1913 Indian also on display with the V two cylinder that shines.

Measure Twice

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If it is a 98cc like the one Camnz or I have then not all that much. I see you live on the sunshine coast. Just keep an eye on EBay especially in the cylinder mower section, see also reel and barrell mowers, that way you may find one just as cheap if not cheaper and you will get other useful parts.