Moto-Guzzi "Neva-Lost" Board Track Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/medium/NS-GRAND-NCL-ANGLE.jpg Steel rails and springs, modern materials, old looks.
Nashbar "vintage" saddle, affordable and replaceable at $15 Buy 2 while it's on sale.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_503503_-1___

re: bark like dog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cpslaff

Thanks for the info! I've been working last week a lot (at work, this time), so there has been close to no progress with the bike. I however managed to score old seat from Flea-Bay! Of all the places, it's coming from Hungary, hah, haa....

The cloth wrapped wires are in garage and I dismantled most of the motor.

Since I bought couple new drill bits from Home Depot, I decided to test them on something before using these on 2x4 pressure treated wood. Dont want to screw up the fine wood, do we....

Lots of holes going on. The importance of lots of holes is 2 folded. The more holes, the less of an aerodynamic drag there is. This naturally will spell far higher top end than the one without holes! The holes also reduce weight, which is equally important. Far better option to put few extra 1/2" holes on the cylinder head cooling fins, than on my toes.

Fuel line was formed, all fittings obviously missing at this point.

... and unless I bail out now into the garage, this will be never finished..

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Nice looking build,
I don't know moped engines and how hot they run, but removing all that surface area by drilling the head fins will warm it up a touch. You may need a different range spark plug

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
At the same time it will increase airflow, and the areas on the inside of the holes are still surface area so...it will probably be fine. He also has that cast iron cylinder with all those fins on it that aren't drilled. That thing ought to conduct good heat.

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
At the same time it will increase airflow, .
Not necessarily.
The drill holes may disrupt the air flow through the fins creating turbulence and reducing overall through fin air flow, furthermore the turbulence will create parasitic drag which will ultimately reduce the maximum attainable velocity of the vehicle.

or just build it and ride it,,LOL

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Rotfl, that parasitic drag stuff cracks me up. Sure it's a problem, but I can't help but laugh at the guys who wax their legs and wear spandex when they ride. Ride it like you mean it and enjoy. Good point about the turbulence though.

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Its a moped. I would not worry too much about the heat and fins.

If it does not work, I'll duct tape old old funnel on it. And I'll drill it full of holes too:-||

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
I wasn't saying it was a concern, just that you may require a different heat range plug in order to get the best perfomance and plug life from it.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Why not? I ride road bikes all summer. Compression shorts do a lot for long term efforts (helps prevent leg cramps), and shaving helps apply muscle tonics (embrocation) and sunscreen etc, also helps clean off road grime faster, and some argue that it helps with cooling. All that is important when you got 1/4 hP instead of 2HP motor!
Laugh all you want, I'm fit and it feels great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGcp_StDMNc

Rotfl, that parasitic drag stuff cracks me up. Sure it's a problem, but I can't help but laugh at the guys who wax their legs and wear spandex when they ride. Ride it like you mean it and enjoy. Good point about the turbulence though.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like all my bikes. There is more to riding a bike than just pedaling and steering. There is tension and relaxation, there is effort and reward, there is training and completion, there is climbing and descending, there is the scenery and sensation of the road telegraphing under your wheels. There is the pleasant sedation of the nerves when all of life's inglorious circumstances are compartmentalized and you are simply riding a bike.
You should try more kinds of cycling, or at least celebrate that more cyclists mean more clout, as you are a cyclist, even with a motor crammed on your bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=A0x4LFG--vE

Last edited:

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Finally some progress... the tank took forever to finish... First filling some of the uneven areas with autobody lead, then coat with body filler to smooth out curves. Followed by primer and several coats of $3 Colonial Red from Home Depot.

here's leading going on, looks ugly, but its easily workable with large files.

Tank looks a bit hazy, its the crappy Blackberry... It is actually shiny, it might help to keep my fingers off the lense?

Took the same rattlecan and sprayed light, tail light, horn and front forks. I modified and welded the front light attachement to the forks. Tank has some marks of "re-work" in this picture. It was drying at height of 6ft and I dropped the sucker on garage floor. Needless to say, it got messed up and I had to do some "damage control". It's OK now, but I lost many hours (and beers).

Found some cool spark plug wire, which is cloth wrapped and old style "screw on" brass nut. Propably not a good idea to run this bike in rain??
Great thing about this spark plug attachement is that it is very easy to check if it has spark, I can reach it with my left hand! and judging on the amount of sudden wrinkles on my face, you can determine the condition of the spark.

Next is wiring and controls (brake/throttle). Then frame to be finished, I need to cut thicker rear drop outs. More painting and later some pin striping....

Wheels are not laced yet, so that will take LOTS of time. The 12 gauge spokes are obviously too long, so I have to get a 0.45x2.5mm die to cut threads. All 72 of them, unless I find shorter spokes soon...

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I like the tank, not sure it will hold much fuel but looks awesome.

I really like the headlight and speedo. This project is coming along nicely

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I like the exposed top on the plug, gonna do it that way on mine too. As for the tank and headlight, it all looks really good. It looks like you shot it from a gun, must have good rattlecan technique. As for that engine, is that thing a morini knockoff??? It looks cool, but I would just as well figure buying a morini.

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
If you refer to my motor, it a Benelli G2. Thats what they used on Guzzi's.

I am wishing the tank would hold 1 gallon. It might, if I would have beaten the sides outwards, insted of inwards. I am waiting for Guzzi decals and then I'll clearcoat the thing. Next to finish is the frame, still doing some work on it as well as getting thicker rear end dropouts. and wiring....among 10 other things, still plenty to do.

Like the lacing of wheels. That will be fun, all 72 spokes are too long, so I need to get a 0.45x2.5 thread die to cut the spokes. (Unless I can get correct spokes in 12 gauge thickness somewhere, which most likely is not going to happen.)

The leather spark booth sounds interresting, I may show boxcutter to one of my belts...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you use a leather belt to shield the plug, how will you be able to "check" the spark :)

I have a similar setup on my Villiers and have accidentally "checked" the spark like you said, wakes you up in a hurry

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
nah, I was referring to that motor happycheapskate posted, I know yours aint Chinese. Great work so far on this bike :) I may face that same spoke issue soon as well ...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Dang, Hoss! I didn't know anybody still remembered the old autobody lead filler techniques. If you can keep safe from the fumes, it's still way better than Bondo or fiberglass in my book. What a bike you've got there! That rocks.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm not sure, but it looks good to me and it's not as high $ as a Morini. Probably one of China's better offerings or one of Japan's more modest. I'll ask Duane where he got them.

nah, I was referring to that motor happycheapskate posted, I know yours aint Chinese. Great work so far on this bike :) I may face that same spoke issue soon as well ...