Tomos A-5 motor for a motorized bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Jbyrd666

Jan 21, 2020
Costa Mesa, California
A buddy of mine gave me a Tomos A5 motor the other day. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used a Tomos A5 motor to power a motorized bike and if so any tips or tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I'll post some pics of the motor too it has a Runtong Carburetor, a single cylinder and it has a kick start. Really cool motor

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Like to see pics as it comes together. `I checked out that it is from a scooter. Some nice Youtube videos show how to disassemble engine to refurbish that engine. Are you going to use a welded mount for the engine to frame? I'm quite amazed at how some clamps can work, although I never use that method myself. I did a MIG weld platform for a Briggs build.

Jbyrd666

Jan 21, 2020
Costa Mesa, California
I'm not sure how I'm gonna do it yet man . Probably gonna have to get a nice sturdy steel frame and chop the length of the bottom tube and I'm thinking flip it around so instead of it bowing out it will bow inward so there's room for motor cause it's pretty long and then weld some type of support brackets so I can utilize the existing mounting points on the motor and so it's not too close to the ground and so I can still use the kickstart. But that's just a rough idea so far.and any and all help or suggestions on which frame I should use or any cool tricks or tips or tricks or if anyone has yet attempted this succcessfully ... Please don't hesitate to chime in lol I will keep posting pics as I get farther along in the build.

user54086

Jun 20, 2020
That’s a very good moped engine! Tomos mopeds are some of the best ever built. If you run into any type of problem go to mopedarmy website for help.Doscycles.com is your place for moped parts. Located in Atlanta Georgia area. The owner is one of the Swoops. The mopedarmy would be very interesting in your build. Good luck

user54086

Jun 20, 2020
Actually I ended up selling the motor way too much work for me at this time thanks though
You should kept the moped engine and built a moped. Been a lot less work for you. You could of found a frame and parts on mopedarmy. Check out the mopedarmy.com website.