Tire Bead Seat Dia.?

GoldenMotor.com

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I've been under the impression that all 26" tires would fit on all 26" rims, until I ran into this from BikeTiresDirect.com regarding older cruiser tires:

/www.biketiresdirect.com/older-26-inch-tire-sizes-article?adl=1&sitelink=older26&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp5y4k6KD5gIVNRh9Ch1eHgvrEAAYAiABEgKSefD_BwE

My rims are original 1980 Schwinn and from what I've read there a modern 26" tire might not have the same "bead seat dia." as my older rims? That's a new one on me but you could fill a book with what I have yet to learn about bicycles ...

Is this something I need to worry about?

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Thanx Tony. It's Sheldon Brown to the rescue once again!

I measured up at 559mm which is the bead dia. you'd expect on a 26" tire that's marked in decimals.I don't have the tires anymore but I remember they were marked 26 x 2.125. Not 26 x 2 1/8. Standard decimal marked tires should be fine. No worries. :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
You don't have anything to worry about if you have an 80s Schwinn beach cruiser with 26x2.25 tires.

Schwinn had an oddball tire size on their three speeds and some other bikes. They had skinny rims and tires, and thought they'd be cool and make a tire that only fit their bikes. They did the same with seatposts, stems, and headsets, too.

So unless your original tires are the skinny fractional size, you're good.

Reactions: FOG