New builder and I’m addicted

GoldenMotor.com

Smitty484

May 31, 2021
Hi my name is Matt Iv been in love with building anything that has an engine and can be ridden around since I was a child. My father built hot rods for as long as I can remember and still so today. I have build lots of go karts and mini bikes and have always wanted to build a bicycle with an engine and recently my birthday passed and my wife didn’t know what to get me so one night I asked for her cc and picked my own gift out. I picked up a 49cc 4 stroke kit off eBay . I already had a 26” schwinn. This was my first build on a bicycle but I had a very basic idea on how everything should work together since I’ve built so many go karts and mini bikes. I ended up replacing a lot of the parts that came with the kit once I saw how cheep some things were so I ended up paying a few extra dollars than I needed but it opened my eyes up And gave me ideas for my next build. This is what I ended up with and now I want advice on where to post the questions for my next build.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Smitty484

May 31, 2021
Very VERY nice! I recently joined the 4-stroke Club, and It has transformed The Hobby for me; quite addicted, now!
Thank you . I have my next build already done in my head. I have an almost new Briggs 3.5 engine and another schwinn sitting in my garage. The engine is off of an old edger and runs like a top. The only problem is that the shaft is a 5/8” but too short to mount a clutch.I have all the parts from an old project to make a jack so my plan is to run a sprocket or a pulley from the engine to the jack shaft and mount a clutch to the output side of the jack shaft than to the rear wheel. When I was in tractor supply I saw all kinds of pulleys and hubs that can be welded together. I just need some advice about gear ratio. I have a max torque clutch that is a 12 tooth and a rear 44 tooth sprocket now what should I be looming for from the engine to the input of jack shaft . And I’d really like to use pulleys and belts and the only chain to rear wheel. I also have a 3 speed hub that isn’t mounted to a wheel . Any help would be greatly appreciated . a pic of some of the parts I’m working with. Thanks Matt

Attachments

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
If it's 26" wheels you're working with, aim for an overall 9>1 ratio. That nets you 30mph @3600 rpm, and the 3.5 B/S definitely has the beans to pull it, unless you're into climbing trees with the thing.