Help needed! Turbine Jet Powered Cruiser - wheels/brakes upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

MQ_FUN

Jun 23, 2023
All,

I purchased a pink Reid Ladies Classic 7-speed bicycle recently and installed a large (70lb thrust) micro-turbojet engine on the rear cargo rack as sort of a complex joke. (Note: If you knew my sense of humor, hobbies, and background, all of this would make complete sense) It actually turned out really well, but is definitely overpowered.

IMG-8047.jpg IMG-8500.jpg IMG_9704.jpg ;);)

Now, admittedly, I don't know much about bicycles, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with upgrading the wheels/brakes/tires.

I'm considering a solid tire wheelset by Tannus or a similar manufacturer to mitigate the risk of a blowout and to accommodate my weight as well as the weight of the all the equipment/fuel.

1.) Will a slightly wide tire be of any benefit (such as 700x40c versus the current 700x32c)

2.) Given my bicycle has a Shimano Tourney 7-speed gear system, can I fit disc brakes (which I assume would be the most robust braking option available) and if so, can you provide any recommendations for a conversion kit?

3.) I can't seem to find any specific size information regarding the hubs/forks/rims on my bike, what other wheels/tires will fit, etc, even in manuals downloaded from Reid--do most cruiser bikes in this category have some kind of standard-sized hub/rim?

I do realize the main limiting factor is that this is a budget cruiser bike, but I do think it can be made a little safer.
Again, I know these are probably very rookie questions, but I really, really appreciate any input.

Anyway, it is VERY EVIDENT :) that the current wheels/rims/brakes are not cut out for this--so I figured reaching out to some motorized bike enthusiasts might be the way to go.

Thanks all!!!

IMG_9704.jpg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Every once in a while we get one of you guys with a rocket engine up his rear. Assuming the basket contains your safety gear, right?. What thrust FP are you getting out of that little whiner?
Does your Mother know what you are up to MORE FUN? (^)

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy and MQ_FUN

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
I think you might want a bicycle frame specifically built for a jet engine if you are going to ride regularly; or if you ride the turbine bicycle @ one or two times total check craigs list for a used steel chigago schwin or felt cruiser or buy a worksman or husky industrial bicycle or a tandem with two seat stays, two chain stays and two extra support stays between the seat and chain stays like the Kent north woods tandem, then build a strong rear rack with perforated angle iron and fit that to the seat post, upgraded chromoloy rear axle, the six stays and the area where a V brake or caliber brake is located. Use moped wheels or Gemini bicycle wheels with speed rated tires and a dnm front suspension fork with dual disk front hydraulic bicycle brakes. That set up should be safe to a maximum of 55mph going in a straight line. The bicycle frame you have now should not run past 35mph at the most. Motorized bicycles that go fast cost a lot of money, as you know a person can possibly push their luck once or twice, beyond that everyone experiences a serious injury or worse case scenario even death.

Last edited:

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
I think you might want a bicycle frame specifically built for a jet engine if you are going to ride regularly; or if you ride the turbine bicycle @ one or two times total check craigs list for a used steel chigago schwin or felt cruiser or buy a worksman or husky industrial bicycle or a tandem with two seat stays, two chain stays and two extra support stays between the seat and chain stays like the Kent north woods tandem, then build a strong rear rack with perforated angle iron and fit that to the seat post, upgraded chromoloy rear axle, the six stays and the area where a V brake or caliber brake is located. Use moped wheels or Gemini bicycle wheels with speed rated tires and a dnm front suspension fork with dual disk front hydraulic bicycle brakes. That set up should be safe to a maximum of 55mph going in a straight line. The bicycle frame you have now should not run past 35mph at the most. Motorized bicycles that go fast cost a lot of money, as you know a person can possibly push their luck once or twice, beyond that everyone experiences a serious injury or worse case scenario even death.

Reactions: fasteddy and MQ_FUN

MQ_FUN

Jun 23, 2023
You are absolutely right about pushing your luck—I have a pretty firm understanding of that but it never hurts to be reminded. Anyhow, I don’t intend to go beyond 35 really—I just don’t have much confidence in going beyond 10mph with the wheel/brake set as it is now. Just looking for something a little more confidence inspiring than caliper brakes and 700x32 stock tires. To answer Tom’s question that is a 70lb thrust turbine—a Kingtech 320z

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Zean, what ever your real name is. The OP is a funny guy and I am having fun with him.
If I wanted to impress the neighbors. It is easier to just load up at the local Fireworks Store.
Exploding payloads would me optional.
My neighbors being who they are.it takes as much.
We must congratulate the young fellow by passing two smoke engines.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
All,

I purchased a pink Reid Ladies Classic 7-speed bicycle recently and installed a large (70lb thrust) micro-turbojet engine on the rear cargo rack as sort of a complex joke. (Note: If you knew my sense of humor, hobbies, and background, all of this would make complete sense) It actually turned out really well, but is definitely overpowered.

View attachment 113808 View attachment 113809 View attachment 113807 ;);)

Now, admittedly, I don't know much about bicycles, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with upgrading the wheels/brakes/tires.

I'm considering a solid tire wheelset by Tannus or a similar manufacturer to mitigate the risk of a blowout and to accommodate my weight as well as the weight of the all the equipment/fuel.

1.) Will a slightly wide tire be of any benefit (such as 700x40c versus the current 700x32c)

2.) Given my bicycle has a Shimano Tourney 7-speed gear system, can I fit disc brakes (which I assume would be the most robust braking option available) and if so, can you provide any recommendations for a conversion kit?

3.) I can't seem to find any specific size information regarding the hubs/forks/rims on my bike, what other wheels/tires will fit, etc, even in manuals downloaded from Reid--do most cruiser bikes in this category have some kind of standard-sized hub/rim?

I do realize the main limiting factor is that this is a budget cruiser bike, but I do think it can be made a little safer.
Again, I know these are probably very rookie questions, but I really, really appreciate any input.

Anyway, it is VERY EVIDENT :) that the current wheels/rims/brakes are not cut out for this--so I figured reaching out to some motorized bike enthusiasts might be the way to go.

Thanks all!!!

View attachment 113807
Shi(+)mano 7 speed????

MQ_FUN

Jun 23, 2023
Shi(+)mano 7 speed????

That's whats listed on the manufacturers website. To be clear, I know zip about bikes.

I'm also not against replacing pretty much all of this except the frame.

Really just want to find a good combination of heavy duty rims/tires/and disc brake kit that would work for me.

Would love it if someone could give me a suggestion.

Shimano 7-speed freewheel cassette / Shimano Tourney derailur

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you use the freewheel, then replace the stock axle with a cro-molly axle. The stock axles are prone to bending. A freewheel and a cassette aren't the same thing.

1687891019161.png

This is what happened with the stock Shimano Turney that came on my bike. I now use a Sram X4 with a Sram X3 shifter.

1687891406985.png

Most importantly, research past threads on how to reinforce those fenders. Otherwise, it isn't will they crash you, only when will it happen?

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Moped wheels or something for a 125 dirt bike... Basically something made for speeds above your top speed... My Kawasaki Kx 250 would do over 100 flat out the wheels and tires never were a concern and the brakes would stop no worries... Motorcycle parts are plentiful... If it was me... The mag wheels I don't like... I don't like the bearings I don't like that there cast and if they crack your done no warning where a spokes wheel will hop or give you signs it's having problems... The bearings and axle are important which ever way you go... Get good ones and replace them frequently at the first sign of play in them...

Reactions: Testname111