Haven't tried this weld method?

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Something I'm wondering is why does not the rod arc all along the length when set down between the two work pieces to be welded that way.

I know with MIG the feed wire arcs at the end, but if you were to have the wire feed for a while with no contact (waste some essentially) and touch a point between the nozzle and the end of the feed wire it would arc there too I believe.

You know anything about that?

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So there is like a coating that is electrically resistive and just the end conducts. As it burns down the end still is the only spot that arcs I guess.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
On a arc welder your welding rods are flux coated. The flux acts as a insulator as well as a shield . When you strike an arc your stinger is attached to one bare end of the welding rod and the other end contacts the grounded metal , creating an arc. The resulting arc is super hot and will melt the base metal as well as the welding rod and the surrounding flux engine n the rod.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
On a arc welder your welding rods are flux coated. The flux acts as a insulator as well as a shield . When you strike an arc your stinger is attached to one bare end of the welding rod and the other end contacts the grounded metal , creating an arc. The resulting arc is super hot and will melt the base metal as well as the welding rod and the surrounding flux engine n the rod.
Fricken spell check !! It’s supposed to say “as well as the surrounding flux on the rod”

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yea, so then this is real, just not too many cases where this would really be practical. Maybe thermite made into something like a licorice stick and "Set It an Forget It". Oops is that Ronco?