Getting a random "Click" noise from the pedal crank area

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Whenever I go out for a ride, after a random number of times cranking the pedals to start off I'll get this click type noise when I stop peddaling and am running on the motor. Anyone have an idea what it could be? Its on a Cruiser frame.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Could be. But about a month ago I cleaned and throughly greased everything and it still does it. It will randomly sometimes bind the pedal chain for a brief moment but then it starts rotating again.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Or maybe when you stop pedaling there is slack in the upper part of the chain and that causes the chain to slap around and hit the fender or chain stay.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Could be. But about a month ago I cleaned and throughly greased everything and it still does it. It will randomly sometimes bind the pedal chain for a brief moment but then it starts rotating again.
Bearings have a flat spot that randomly stick.. and or the chain has a tight spot that sync up

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
OK I’m not too worried about the chain. I happen to have a brand new replacement chain for it so I can put it on if needed. I’ll take the bearings apart and take a look at them and see if maybe I need to replace them. It has an aftermarket crank it’s not the one that came with the Cranbrook.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
OK I’m not too worried about the chain. I happen to have a brand new replacement chain for it so I can put it on if needed. I’ll take the bearings apart and take a look at them and see if maybe I need to replace them. It has an aftermarket crank it’s not the one that came with the Cranbrook.
Standing on the pedals riding and the constant vibration is what kills the bearings...

Attachments

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
OK thanks I’ll try some new bearings in it to see if that helps as soon as I get them and put them in. I’ll let you guys know if it fixed it.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Whenever I go out for a ride, after a random number of times cranking the pedals to start off I'll get this click type noise when I stop peddaling and am running on the motor. Anyone have an idea what it could be? Its on a Cruiser frame.
Pedal with the engine off the bike and see if ya get the same click noise

This will let you know if it's engine related or just the Bicycle parts

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Your after market pedal cranks, do they fit on the bottom bracket spindle using cotter pins? Sometimes the cotter pins don't fit one hundred per cent on the flat side of the spindle and they become slightly loose after some initial pedaling, then they can make a clicking sound just by putting pressure on the pedals.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
The crank and pedals I got from a local bike shop. But the bearings and everything else are what came with the Cranbrook because at the time the bearings etc were in perfect condition. When I last had it taken apart I don’t remember seeing any cotter pins though. But bearings and everything have always been kept well greased. I’m gonna have another look at it. I can take a picture of everything that is disassembled so you guys can see.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
The crank and pedals I got from a local bike shop. But the bearings and everything else are what came with the Cranbrook because at the time the bearings etc were in perfect condition. When I last had it taken apart I don’t remember seeing any cotter pins though. But bearings and everything have always been kept well greased. I’m gonna have another look at it. I can take a picture of everything that is disassembled so you guys can see.
I thought you said it clicks when your not pedaling
Don't this mean it's not the bicycle crank
I'll get this click type noise when I stop peddaling and am running on the motor.

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I thought you said it clicks when your not pedaling
Don't this mean it's not the bicycle crank
I think we should make book on this... One or more of those bearings are gonna have a scuff on them... :)

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I’m not worried about replacing the bearings. I can do that just as a precaution because the bearings are what came with the Cranbrook only the crank is what came from the bicycle shop so I’m pretty sure it’s a good possibility that you’re right those bearings could be shot. once I get paid, I’ll plan to pick some up.