FLYING BIKE!!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will only add from experience that
1.- You don't want a tiny prop buzzing at 5-8k rpm.
2.- You don't want to fly with anything that is "semi reliable".
3.- You NEED to learn about air science and structures/power ect before you "whip up a plane".

I will also add- you CAN build a safe, reliably powered plane for under 5 grand, and even less if you are resourceful.

2 hp bicycle engines from china are only good as the wheel chock of your plane for this application.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will tell you a secret of sorts- You can build a plane that will take you higher than you want to fall, and probably should be not flown higher than that for a couple hundred bucks.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can also build a plane that just the kit costs 68K, plus a prop, engine, avionics......250k anyone?
That's what I was doing before they laid me off (not due to covid)- building T-51 aircraft for people that bought kits, got in over their heads, and needed "assistance" from the factory.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used to do a lot of part 103 work for people.
At one time I owned the prototype for this- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howland_H-3_Pegasus
It was crashed by Bert Howland, sold to an ultralight guy in southern Ohio, who re-built it, crashed it, then sold it to me for $200. I Asked the Howland people if they were interested in having it back (free), they said "no"....
I also had a Catto brothers weight shift flying wing with a mac 101 on it.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
That Howland H-3 Pegasus experimental and the BD5 had very tight flight parameters. Buddy of mine actually made the down payment on a BD5 which was as far as he got. (He) Skip did get a pilot license and flew our two seat Demo Quicksilver.
We had one of the original Eipper weight shifts on our field a father son thing which was a regular visitor to the surrounding corn fields. My airfield boss was a pilot and owned a Mooney and somehow saw a profit opportunity in ultralights. His first UL was a Pterodactyl Ascender. better known as a terrordactyl. The one that was on TV showing the pilot being ejected from his seat from a series of whip stalls. That video killed UL's.
Tom