Adjusting your timing

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
This is a hack that should considered DANGEROUS unless you understand and are aware of what this does and why you are doing it.

I'm doing it to smooth out a 50mm ld100 head on a yd100 lower. Reason being, yd100 lowers are notorious for having slightly advanced timing and I ain't trying to win no races with the stretch tandem it's sitting on

Take the magneto coil out WRAP IT IN TAPE...

Take a sharpie and make a mark exactly the same spot on each hole transverse, and use a drill bit slightly smaller than the factory hole to route the ink spot off after you lock the coil in the vise.

Route the holes out to allow forward or backward rotation of the placement of the magneto coil when mounted...

Or take a 5 mm or smaller drill bit and drill out the holes that are pre-existing.

I prefer to route the holes it's more precise and doesn't have backwards and forward slop.

Use a chain saw file to fine tune your holes .

Make sure to cover all screw holes with appropriate sized washers that do not interfere with the rotation of the magnet.

If you advance or retard it enough you will blow it up so be careful what you do and only do a small bit at a time. Patience is a virtue here.

You can mount the mounting bolts for the magneto coil through a piece of cardboard and set the magneto coil on it and see how much rotation you have.

And if you mess it up it only cost you the price of a magneto coil. No filing of woodruff keys or anything like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
O.M.G! DUDE ...This is amazing!!! It's not spitting gas out the carburetor it runs so much smoother. It's like two different motors. This hack definitely works!!! A little less top end - @2-3 mph BUT ITS SMOOOOOTH AS SILK.

(pats myself on the back... sometimes I amaze myself. )

Last edited: