1973 Honda CB500f

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Getting this bike practically free..

Last registered the year I was born, out of the DMV system. Still runs somehow! It’s a 4cyl with four carbs and dual 2-into-1 pipes. Been worked on by somebody who had no business working on bikes so it needs quite a bit of work. Two of the carbs are missing the hose clamps for the intakes, front brake caliper seized, needs new tires and tubes.. stator not charging.. the works.

I’ll begin by removing the heavy steel.. everything. Crash bars, sissy bar, replace handlebar with aluminum, turn signals and headlamp, and start looking for a wheel set and front end off a modern bike, maybe an alloy swingarm and do a monoshock conversion. I can see taking off 100lbs easily.

I’ll apply everything I learned from my 212 days. Smooth the exhaust ports and port match as needed; shave the head possibly for a little more compression. Lap in the valves and check or replace spark plugs. Oh first step is rebuild the carbs and fix the charging system.

Frame wise I plan to cut and chop it behind the gas tank. Also replace tank with something a little prettier. I have a chopper tank but it doesn’t have the deep recessed tunnel like the stock tank does. I could stick them together but that would really be a big job!

One of the pics is how it looked brand new. I guess the mufflers on it are aftermarket, might keep those.

2024 edit, not building this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
My sister Debora rode a Honda CB350F until her divorce when it went up for sale. I was the last one to ride on it dry tires and all. But still it was the lightest, sportiest machine I ever rode.
Have fun with the 500F. The ride should be comparable. Get some sticky tires to get the good of your machine.

Tom

Reactions: Tony01 and fasteddy