My Second Jag Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Remember this picture. It is a stone stock Schwinn Jaguar I just paid $40.00 for. I have some big plans for this Target bike. I'll keep you posted as work progresses.
Tom

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Tom, Those are nice bike frames to work with. I built one of those and sold it to a guy here locally. He really likes the bike. It probably has the best running engine that I know of. He is running some really high dollar synthetic oil at 100:1. It will be a good test to see if it lasts as long as some of mine.
I will be watching for the progress on your 2nd Jag.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan and John,
For a cheap-o department store bike the Jag is a great foundation for a motorbike. The seat needs to move way back so as Dan said, you don't look like you're doing the chicken dance when you're riding, but other than that it is a super comfy ride. I have some plans for a long, banana syle seat with a tail light built into it and a functional tank where the cantilever bars swoop down under the crossbar. All in the planning stages right now but, hey, I'm semi retired; I've got time to play. This is gonna be fun :) Dan, don't have anymore old fenders laying around, do ya?
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Be my pleasure to supply em buddy. Have none on hand but trade for the light? I have been thinking about fenders a lot of late. I would like to find some good plastic ones and seeing if chrome paint would work. 2 less things rattling around would be a good thing. Even plain old black ones but have not found any good ones in stores and not some thing I would want to "try" online. Maybe ABS pipe? (THATS A THOUGHT!!) might try it. The pool/drain stuff is already curved or a simple "oven" could turn em out easy.

How did you "bob" that set Tom? I have been looking at an English wheel but that is big bucks.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
side thought on using ABS. Be really easy to cut and customize not to mention dirt cheap. Ayup, gonna try this. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on your thread. Just love those "Hey!" moments, lol.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
cant wait for the build pictures tom.i am thinking about my second too .the better half wants one now only red.cs.r.ly.
Dan ,love the new video

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a lay-back seat post on my 1st Jag , 7", but I still find myself sliding back and setting on the rear edge. I wanted something better and different on this second Jaguar. I used 3/16" X 1" flat stock and fabricated a frame that when upholstered will look like a skinny motorcycle seat or a fat banana seat. After it was done and I was setting there looking at it I realized how easy it would have been to make it a springer style. Oh well, maybe a project for another day; this one will suffice for now. Maybe black naugahyde, and with a tail light built into the end? I'll keep you posted.
Tom

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
wow Tom. Looks awesome. A bicycle is designed for an averaged sized person to be over the cranks. With an engine doing the work, almost makes for an uncomfortible ride. I had given up on my moondawg because it was just not comfortable as a MB. Rode it once with the soon to be patented "2Door solid bent seat post" and what a world of different! I am a whopping 5 foot 4. Been thunking about the frame/seat position thing. A custom frame where the seat post does not rise from the seat post but slides out from the top tube.

Didn't mean to ramble on your thread. Just saying thank you. Moving aft makes ridding a lot more fun and really am enjoying reading and seeing your thoughts and finished.

.flg.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
After much agonizing over a design for the saddle I settled on this. The seat portion where my skinny rear will sit is the same size as the stock Jag saddle but the narrower front part is just a little wider. The whole seat, front to rear is 18" long. I stopped by the upholstery store Thursday and picked up some very firm 4" foam and a yard of black vinyl. ( The rear spokes aren't rusty; it's just a trick of lighting. Really)
Finished the front motor mount. It is the same as the 1st Jag but this one is welded to the downtube instead of clamping to it. Ya gotta love a TIG setup. Makes things like this soooooo nice.
More as work progresses.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why, thank you Dan. :)
I'm looking for color suggestions. I'm leaning towards dark metallic green, or a metallic brown and beige. Whadayathink?
Tom

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
these bikes look so cool. i love the motor mount. i will have pics of my 40 dollar jag project up here tomarow or Friday. keep up the good work i like the new and different ideas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know, I've been sort of slow on this build but, hey, I've been riding. The weather here has finally given me a break so instead of garage time, I've been burning fossil fuels.
Finished the exhaust pipe/muffler and chain tensioner. I'm working on the gas tank mount and Char still hasn't gotten her sewing machine out for me to stitch up the seat cover; maybe tomorrow.
I know that pipe is not the greatest design for power but as long as I can maintain 20-25mph, that's good enough for me. At least it should be quiet.
More as work progresses.
Tom

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking good Tom!

LOL, I was just studying the pic and Carol came in and said; "looking at those pics again!" like she cought me on sheep.com or some thing. Was funny.

(Click on the box that says not 2. URL is "sheep.com" but shows up as the adopt thing. way less funny)

Adopt a sheep, adopt a pet, lamb photos

Last edited: