WTB: old,old,old bikes

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There are lots of old bikes out there, but what do you intend to do with it? Generally older bikes were well made, but not all are suitable for an in frame motor if that's what you're thinking. Get an idea of what appeals to you. I'd suggest spending some time on eBay to look at pictures and be able to ask sellers questions. On ebay look up offerings for pre war (meaning WWII) bicycles, balloon tire bicycles, Monarch, Elgin, JC Higgens are just a few. Old Roads is a vintage bicycle site on the net where you can look at pictures and ask questions. Go to the library and see what you can find. In other words, become informed. A good way to buy an old bike is to buy just a frame of one which appeals to you. Then buy new wheels, new handlebars, seat, whatever... it will still be an old time bike because of the frame. It is like someone with an old 32 Ford they want to make into a hot rod. They change the engine, the rear end, front suspension, transmission, reupholster, chop and channel or whatever... it is still a 32 Ford. Same with your old bike. I hope you end up with exactly the bike that rings all your bells. Good luck and let us know what you find. It is like treasure hunting, only better since you get to build it and then ride it and by then it is all yours.
Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm still thinking about this thread... I'd like to refer you to some photos of 1930's Elgins I posted a few days ago under "The Tavern". It is called 1938 Elgin Bluebird. Once you get older than the 30's they get very pricey. As long as you are willing to start with a frame and add to it from what is available today... there were some absolutely stunning, well made bikes made in the 30's. 1940's are pretty much a wash because of WWII. The 1950's also had some great bikes and there are more of them still around. By the 1960's the heavy older bikes that make such great cruisers were no more. Middleweights which were lighter and had narrower rims and wheels were what was available and among them are a number of appealing bikes. My own preference is for fat tires and heavy, well made frames... I think they lend themselves best to adding a motor. There are certainly some light weight bikes here on the forum which look great and appear to work well for their owners. That's why you need to do some research to see what suits your purposes and tastes best and is within your budget. Check out my favorites, the old Elgins which were sold by Sears by mail order, so there were a bunch of them out there and they were among the best designed in my opinion... also had frames made by Cleveland Welding. But there were lots of other really cool bikes. You'll find one! Right now I'm working on a Worksman paperboy cruiser, a 1940 Schwinn DX cruiser, a 1960's American step through and this winter hope to dig in to two 1930's Elgin step through cruisers. I just finished a newish made in China Huffy for sale and another just like it awaits a new motor. They don't count if what you like is the old stuff.
Silverbear

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I'm not too sure what that means, but it sounds like I may have offended you. If so, sorry about that. I was trying to be helpful.
Silverbear
no no no you didn't at all. See, I am 11, and my nanny (Sharon) usally takes care of me after schools.
But today i am with dad so he can take me..shft.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
no no no you didn't at all. See, I am 11, and my nanny (Sharon) usally takes care of me after schools.
But today i am with dad so he can take me..shft.
Well, then that's good. That's the last thing I want is to offend. I was talking with a friend here in the forum today about a classic old bike he won on eBay. On the inside Fasteddy and I are really 12 years old (when it comes to bicycles), but on the outside we're both old guys. You may understand what I mean already as you seem to be a precocious and bright young man,but someday when your body gets old you will experience for yourself how you are the same person on the inside you always were. These motorbicycles help to remind us who we really are without the disguises. Fasteddy's bike is a really cool one. If you can find it at the library, look up Monark (not sure of the spelling) and the model is Silver King deluxe... what a bike! Have fun...
Silverbear

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Weekend- fun and modest mouse, this is Fasteddy and my pal Silver Bear is spot on the money. I live in Canada on the west coast just 20 min north of the US border.

When I was your age my brother and I lived in northern Ontario and we had many tourists from the US and the kids we met had the wonderful Schwinns with the springer forks and tanks on thier bikes. It was instant envy.

Well it took me 55 years and a lot of money to get one but now as Silver Bear said the 12 year old boy that I still am inside is as happy as if I had come down the stairs Christmas morning and the bike was sitting beside the tree.

We didn't have a bike like that because they were never built anywhere but in the USA.
Poor us and lucky you.

The bike I bought is a Monarck Silver King Super DeLuxe. It has a cream tank and a black frame and Fenders. They were the bike of bikes from what I hear. Once I get it here I will be posting a lot of pictures as I restore it back to original.

You do indeed seem to be a very smart young man and you are very lucky to have parents who will give you the chance to try something like this. There are a lot of people here who will help you because they see themselves in your shoes as a younger person building thier dream machine.

Now Sir, just what to you is an old, old bike? Do you want to put a motor on it?
My understanding is that the old bikes {to me 20s-30s} are going to be very expensive where as you get into the 50s and early 60s you will have a better chance of a good bike to put a motor on at a reasonable cost.

My bike as is, not counting the border fees has cost me $740 Canadian. The price is up a little from the $50 or so that it cost new. It is all there except the light that I have.

Look at e bay or Craigs list in your area under bikes. The fun is in finding the best for your money though I understand that it is real hard to wait. Remember that I waited 55 years. You are just that much more lucky.
Keep us posted. You have 4,000 people on this web sight pulling for you.

Fasteddy

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like that bike, too. And the Rat Fink bike is interesting. I can't see myself riding that, but it would probably be pretty cool for you. I wish I could have brought up the pictures of the hardware store Elgin...darn, I wanted to see that. The price was sure right on that one. Grabbing up a bike like that even if it isn't one you want to build on could be resold on eBay and make you some pretty easy money. You could start a little business venture maybe. I agree with Fasteddy that Craiglist is a good way to go for a buyer. For one thing you don't have to be bidding against collectors from far away and there are many fewer people who will see a local Craigslist offering. Plus, no shipping. Some sellers sometimes have a bike shop pack it up and charge you for that plus add another hundred or whatever they feel like for UPS to send it. Sometimes that makes the shipping as expensive as the bike. For the money, Craigslist is best and you get to see the bike in person before handing over any money. EBay is good when you are looking for a specific bike that isn't available locally. Now you've got Fasteddy and me interested in what you find, so I hope you'll keep us posted and share pictures when you can. Take your time finding the bike that is right for you. Does your dad share your interest in this? I hope so. That would be a really cool thing.
Silverbear

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I want to find some bike (20's-60's) and restore it.
I wa thinkinging on putting a motor kit on it, but maybe I'll just add it to my "collection" (2 stingrays rotfl) Ill think.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Of these three the one I would pick is the 56. That would make it a heavy duty cruiser with 2.125 tires. There's plent of room for a HT motor and as it is would bring more than a hundred on eBay.
The skipper, I am guessing is a child's bike, so is likely worth little and would not be a good candidate for a motor. The English bike is a skinny tire. I would personally feel it was too lightweight in construction to make a good bike for a HT kit. Maybe a friction drive against the wheel. Not worth much at all.
Silverbear

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Weekend-fun, that English bike is just the very thing we had here in Canada when the kids in the US had Schwinns. Will get you here to there but way too light to even think about riding on a rough road let alone put any kind of motor on it.
Silver Bear knows more about the others.
Now you have seen what the bikes we had were like.

Steve.