wont start after rain

GoldenMotor.com

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Hi,
I rode home from work in the rain last week 6 1/2 miles. Just as I got home it bogged & died. The next day it wouldn't start. It has a spark. I drained the gas tank, cleaned the gas filter, drained & cleaned the carb. I put new gas in & it still won't start. Also, oily gas dripped from the muffler, before I did all of this. Any ideas why its not starting?
Thanks!
Joe

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joe,
Are you certain you have good ignition (spark)? It might be a good idea to pull the magneto cover and check for moisture. It's not uncommon to get water in where the ignition wires exit the case. If you find evidence of moisture inside the cover or on the magneto coil you might try drying it with compressed air. I'm not a big WD-40 fan but the product was formulated originally to eliminate water from critical electrical components. You could give it a try. Keep us posted.
Tom

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'd transition to a different aircraft. Everybody knows that the max service ceiling of an AH-64D is ground elevation plus height of jackstands. Ooops, wrong vehicle...

former 47D driver ;-)

Seriously, remove the magneto cover, I had weak and occasionaly intermittent spark from wet magneto that cleared up when I led it dry out in the sun. Also, double check to make sure foam airfilter is dry. Moisture and oil/fuel can easily gunk it up.

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks guys! I'll check that out. Now that I think about it, it sparked when I touched it with my finger & I didn't get a shock which surprised me. I'll bet that's it.
Drewd, I'm jealous :) I've flown in a helicopter 4 times & LOVE it, & always wanted to learn how to fly. I compensate flying RC heli's & planes.

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks guys! I'll check that out. Now that I think about it, it sparked when I touched it with my finger & I didn't get a shock which surprised me. I'll bet that's it.
Drewd, I'm jealous :) I've flown in a helicopter 4 times & LOVE it, & always wanted to learn how to fly. I compensate flying RC heli's & planes.

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
You guys are awesome! I don't think my last post posted. I'm on a Blackberry. Anyway I said it did get a spark but it didn't shock my finger. So after reading your posts. I went out to the garage & removed the magneto cover. As soon as I started removing the bottom screws about an ounce of water dripped out. The magneto "paper" is soaked. So I'm sure that's the problem. Its 35 degrees up here tonight so I used my heat gun from about a foot away to kinda dry it. Tomorrow I'll let the rest of it dry out in the sun.
Drewd, I'm jealous. I flew in a heli 4 times & I LOVE it. I'd like to take lessons some day. Until then I fly RC heli's & planes :)

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
AH64Apache, I'm jealous that you fly rc heli's I fly rc planes but don't have the spare $$ now to consider a heli. I once had a heli 15 years ago when I was single and I quit flying it because it required a lot of maintenance/upkeep and as a former maintennace test pilot (at the time), it was too much like work ;-)

If drying in open doesn't work, try a hair dryer. If that doesn't work, I can mail you a replacement for free. All of my bikes now have a drilled weep hole for draining moisture.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A drilled "weep hole" is a valid solution - yet as I'm an all-season, all-weather rider I prefer to seal the grommet w/a dab of silicone & clean/dress the gasket surfaces, it's one of the rare exceptions to my dislike for any sorta "insta-gasket" goop ;)

*shrug* either way is good :)

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks guys! I just got back from a side job. Gonna relax a bit & test it out. It should be dry by now. I was drying it out with my heat gun from about a foot away. I didn't want to melt anything. Sorry for the double posts. Blackberrys don't work well with this site.
Drewd, I can suggest a couple decent rc helis for around 150-$200 if you like.
Thanks also for the drip hole & silicone advise!

Cold in O.C.??? That's a funny one! :)

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
I finally got it started last night! It took about 4 more hours of drying it out with a heater. I also replaced the black ignition box because I had a spare, just in case. But I'm sure it was the magneto. Plus it looks like the ignition box is filled with epoxy to keep the water out. It gave me a little trouble starting this morning, but thats because it was just so cold. It was 37 when I left for work. I did heat up the engine a bit with my heat gun, so I think that helped. Anyway, its all good now :) I think I'm going to use the silicone idea on the grommet. I have some in my glue box, but I couldn't find my glue box last night. Its not where it should be and I looked all over. Very puzzling. But I'm going to see if the gas station has some when I go for lunch.
Thanks everyone so VERY much for all the help and suggestions! Greatly appreciated!!!!
Joe

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A block heater idea you may try (note this is a solution from folks who live in the snow belt, and yes.... hearsay).

Prop up a box of sorts to go around the engine with wood or cardboard, Just leaning 2 boards on either side will suffice. They need to be tall enough to go from the floor to above the cylinder head. Leave a 75 watt or 100 watt bulb safety lamp underneath the engine, lit overnight. This will keep the engine in a comfortable temperature to start easily the next day. This even works for motorcycles that are not covered in fancy Tupperware.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Lol yeah dont take block heater "ideas" from people in So Cal.( :) had too )
Have to admit tho in my cold climate I am tempted to buy one of the stick on wire element block heaters , and see how that works.

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
LOL! Yup, they think cold is 55 F. Up here for us cold is -10 F and lower :) I have a workmate who lives in So Cal. She drove 40 miles to buy a car with heated seats. I laughed for 5 mins straight & it still cracks me up till this day :) Sorry guys but the Great White North hasta tease ya in the Southlands. BTW do you have a link for one of those wire heaters? The heat gun works good, only if I have 10 extra mins b4 work which hardly happens.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
TBH I've found if properly tuned, no preheat is needful... Open the plug gap to about .030 (if it's not already) and remember that cold air = denser, which leans out the mix a touch - which outa not be a prob w/most of these carbys lol, if anything it'll run better.

Other than requiring a touch on the primer, I've noticed little difference starting in sub-zero temps :)