Why start with crap? Top Quality DIY for $347

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
four stroke put out more torque at a lower rpm than the two stroke kits. my four stroke is alot faster than my two stroke. two strokes will beat mine off the line but once you get rolling its all over with, they cant keep up. and my bike is weighing in at close to 100 pounds now with the new tank on it.
I don't know WHAT my bike weighs. At LEAST a hundred. Ocho Ninja has a Morini Boxer, a 4 stroke and a china girl. The only one that comes close is the poor little china girl. With all the crap I have on my bike, PLUS my fat A** I'm hitting 35mph or better. I run away from all but the 2 stroke.
Anyway, heres a pic of my Hussy, Tell me what you think it weighs. (About a ton, right?)
fatdaddy.
Sorry about the pic, crappy camera.

Attachments

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
what problems have you seen with four strokes? most common thing is people put on a cone filter and a better exhaust and need a rejet. and ive built 5 smokers, one four stroke kit, and more than a dozen minibikes

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The majority of the problems I've seen with 4-strokes are with the gear boxes (all versions of them). The other problems I've seen are snapped rods & broken valve parts.

All I'm saying is that both types of engines come from cheap Chinese factories & have problems. :(

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I had no idea people would slapfight over this topic. I love ring-dingers for the simplicity, performance, and ease of repair. Low parts count, fewer tools, and cheaper (usually) parts. I grew up on Japanese two-strokes and I love them. Four-strokes have a place, just not on my bicycle. If I want a four-stroke two-wheeler, I'll buy a motorcycle.
What it all boils down to is this: The original poster had good suggestions for the person looking for that style. He likes his setup. I like my setup. You like your setup....
Lets go ride them!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
what problems have you seen with four strokes? most common thing is people put on a cone filter and a better exhaust and need a rejet. and ive built 5 smokers, one four stroke kit, and more than a dozen minibikes
I've seen more dropped valves in china four-strokes than any other engine issue. Just my experience in my years of china atv, scooter and dirt bike repairs.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I see problems with both 4-strokes & 2-strokes EVERYDAY in my shop.
How many different bikes have you personally built?? (Or do you just read about them here)?
Well VMB, He has experience with at least one 4 stroke kit. The way I see it, you still have chains, bearings, sprockets and everything else common to any build. But with a 4 stroke you have valves, cams, lifters, ect, ect, ect, to deal with. I've NEVER melted a cheap plastic cam in my 2 stroke. REALLY, LOOK at it, IT'S PLASTIC. (I know, I've replaced a few.)
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Lets just say that if you're happy with your bike, ride it. If not, do what you can to make it good enough that you can be happy with it. When you've gone as far as you're willing to go with it and you're still not happy with it, then build something you think is better. Its all pretty much a matter of preference. Some guys like the ht engines and can keep them running good for a long time. Others get into the ht's because they dont cost much to build, but not everyone can keep them on the road because they do take quite a bit of knowledge and effort to maintain. Some keep trying for quite awhile as I did, others dont have as much patience. Even if you do keep trying for awhile, if you're trying to take something unreliable and make it reliable, and its not working for you, your patience is going to run out eventually. Now I'm not saying that all 2 strokes are horrible, or that all 4 strokes are great. There are plenty of 2 stroke engines out there that are far superior in reliability and performance than the ht engines, and there are some 4 strokes that are less superior than the ht engines. For me, the answer is in a non-kit 98cc flathead 4 stroke. I am betting I can get a lot more trouble free miles out of this engine than I did out of the 4 ht engines I have gone through so far. I'm going to build it to be as low-maintenance as possible, but I'm still going to do maintenance on it probably at least once a week. In any event, everyone is going to ride what they want, and some people will have different opinions about which setup is more reliable, so lets just agree to disagree before we have a blood feud on our hands, lol.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Not really a pi$$ing match VMB, Simply a passionate exchange of idea's and preferences. And the way I see it, EVERYBODY is right, for their own bikes and builds anyway. Whats right for you may not work for me. I use 2 strokes because it's a cheap way to get in the wind. And if anything ever goes wrong with it it's a cheap fix. But thats ME. I don't mind putting a motor on my bench and having it fixed in an hour or so. So far I haven't needed to do that to MY engine. I do get some 2 strokes in my shop that have been FUBAR'ed. They ALWAYS say, "I didn't do anything, it just quit." (yeah, RIGHT.) I can only guess they didn't mix the fuel right, or were overreving it or just plain abusing it.
But still, To each his own, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
-----IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.-----
fatdaddy.
cvlt1 .trlrl. usflg

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Not really a pi$$ing match VMB, Simply a passionate exchange of idea's and preferences. And the way I see it, EVERYBODY is right, for their own bikes and builds anyway. Whats right for you may not work for me. I use 2 strokes because it's a cheap way to get in the wind. And if anything ever goes wrong with it it's a cheap fix. But thats ME. I don't mind putting a motor on my bench and having it fixed in an hour or so. So far I haven't needed to do that to MY engine. I do get some 2 strokes in my shop that have been FUBAR'ed. They ALWAYS say, "I didn't do anything, it just quit." (yeah, RIGHT.) I can only guess they didn't mix the fuel right, or were overreving it or just plain abusing it.
But still, To each his own, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
-----IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.-----
fatdaddy.
cvlt1 .trlrl. usflg
its your bike build your way. Even if its the wrong way. as long as you enjoy it!

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Hate to throw wood on a fire. Im staying out of this one. Im sure yal know my thoughts on 2stroke vs. 4stroke. just look at my name!

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
ever wonder why cars and trucks aren't 2 stroke? there's pretty good reason for it besides pollution which they didnt used to worry about...laff

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
ever wonder why cars and trucks aren't 2 stroke? there's pretty good reason for it besides pollution which they didnt used to worry about...laff
REALLY DUDE? I don't think too many of us are gonna put an 8 cylinder engine on a bicycle. (But now ya got me thinkin.LOL)
2 strokes, of course, don't run as smooth as a 4 stroke engine, but generally put out more punch per CC. Ford and Chevy ain't building race cars to sell to the public, They want a smooth running car that yer mom would drive.
A 2 stroke V-8 Would kick some A** though, Wouldn't it?rotfl
fatdaddy.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
REALLY DUDE? I don't think too many of us are gonna put an 8 cylinder engine on a bicycle. (But now ya got me thinkin.LOL)
2 strokes, of course, don't run as smooth as a 4 stroke engine, but generally put out more punch per CC. Ford and Chevy ain't building race cars to sell to the public, They want a smooth running car that yer mom would drive.
A 2 stroke V-8 Would kick some A** though, Wouldn't it?rotfl
fatdaddy.
Also let us not forget the 2 stroke diesel engine that keep on running like the Energizer Bunny...

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
no, I dont think it would do much more than waste fuel and rev too high.....2 strokes can be smooth though...why not? they fire every time they visit the top and adding cylinders would really smooth em out.
cars need torque at lower rpms.....something 2 strokes struggle with