Who Remebers?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I didn't know you were that old, Dave. You should have posted this in the "Old Guys' thread.

This brings up a point. How come most, or maybe all states don't offer vanity motorcycle plates? Probably because they're too small.

Tom

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I remember that box! Never cared about a license plate but I remember the box! I was a bmx bike riding kid then, yep.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I didn't know you were that old, Dave. You should have posted this in the "Old Guys' thread.

This brings up a point. How come most, or maybe all states don't offer vanity motorcycle plates? Probably because they're too small.

Tom
This was back in the 80's, I did not think it was that old. But yeah, I guess I am a old fart lol.

I am not sure Tom? I just assumed you can get vanity plates for your MC in AZ? I never bother to get vanity plates on anything I never want to pay the extra $$ for one.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I remember in the 70's, I think it was frosted flakes, you could send box tops in for a personalized plate. Only time I ever got a "Baird" plate.

Always disappointed at amusement parks, going from Barry to Brad, and never finding my name.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This was back in the 80's, I did not think it was that old. But yeah, I guess I am a old fart lol.

I am not sure Tom? I just assumed you can get vanity plates for your MC in AZ?
I never bother to get vanity plates on anything I never want to pay the extra $$ for one.
I did vanity plates for this rig back in my Feast years in the 80's.

I spent a years pay on that brand new customized combo and loved every minute of them.

Back then you had 6 characters and 2 /2 spaces.
I did: IT S KC for the Pathfinder and then cut a big white apostrophe out of sticky back stock and put it on the plate so it read: IT'S KC hehehe.

I really wanted to put a KC BOAT tag on the trailer but back then you couldn't vanity a trailer just like you can't motorcycles.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh wow! I remember those plates. My brothers and I put 'em on our bikes. My mom wouldn't buy stuff like Honeycomb, but when grandma would babysit us, we'd get her to buy it. Dad never got involved in that one, he just grinned and shook his head. I wonder if any of those plates are still back home in Mansfield?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Shoot, I even 'influenced' my Mom's washing powder decision --- one brand had these neat cars that were launched with a spring powered ramp! I saw a couple of these cars in an antique store a while back and the happy memories just popped into my head!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
*sniff* The same kind of toys I played with are turning up in antique store too! :(

The Evel Knievel motorcycle and launcher, that was worth money. I saw an orange Schwinn Stingray just like mine, with white banana seat and ape hangers - only 40 friggin bucks! And hot wheels and Matchbox, old Radio Shack remote control cars that only went straight forward or turned in reverse, old GI Joes (the soldier, not the cartoon superhero type) and so on. They were in an antique store! Like they were antiques or something!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Red Foreman on That 70's Show I remember an episode where he is messing around with the Evil Knievel Motor Cycle Launcher!!! I don't much eat those sugary cereals now, but at Burning Man 2015 there was a Cereal Theme Camp I got Coco Crispies in the individual serve, what fun.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anybody remember the One Man Army gun with the rocket launcher, grenade launcher, rifle with plastic bullets and the 45 cap gun that pulled out of the stock?

I loved mine, but it dissapeared in a small tornado believe it or not!
They are around $400 now...

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey Joe, I remember the awesome power of the Johnny Seven OMA. The perfect weapon for neighbourhood offensives and defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhZsauluXM

My choice for working behind enemy lines and gathering intelligence was the formidable Secret Sam Spy Kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjQix3cZyM

There was another piece of spy equipment that I don't remember too much about but you'll recognize the star of the commercial. Agent Zero M. Even though that info is de-classified now I'll leave it a mystery. PM me if you get stumped but I'm sure you'll get it right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9_0N3g5bw

Sadly, I never had any of them. Just drooled over them. We got by with sticks and apples, acorns, chestnuts, pea shooters, etc. We would eat breakfast go out and play, come back for lunch if possible and then home for dinner and then out again until the street lights came on. Then it was time to go home. Nobody knew where we were, what we were up to, and nobody worried. Different times for sure.

happy memories

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How about the ads you'd saw on the back covers of comic books. I remember one that showed a picture of a kid driving a 'real Army Tank'. Only $2.00. Wow! I had to have one.

Okay, I scraped together the two bucks, mailed in my offer and waited the required four to six weeks and my "U.S. Army Tank" finally came.

It was a cardboard tube that you got in and crawled. (picture a big box like a washer or dryer came in, without the end flaps) It had tank treads printed on the outside which I'm sure made it climb better over dirt hills. I think it lasted a couple of days at least before the cardboard wore through. Ha ha, so much for truth in advertising. And we're talking 1950s advertising. But, hey, it was only $2.00 :)

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
2Door- I once bought a 'real Walther' pistol from an ad in Boys Life for $1.25.
It actually did shoot little plaster BB's, haha!

My mom still freaked out when it came in the mail.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There was a kid who lived just along from us, an only child. He got all the good stuff, including the Johnny Seven. The device was nearly as big as him.

Now here's a question. I was never allowed one, presumably fire or chemicals were involved, and Dad wasn't having any of it. There were these little jet fighters, from the faded depths of memory, F-102 and the Skyray, mounted on stands. There was a fine ?plastic tube brom the belly which led to a little transparent sphere with something in it. I have a notion it was heated, and smoke eventually found it's way out of the back of the jets. Does anybody know the things I mean?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There was a kid who lived just along from us, an only child. He got all the good stuff, including the Johnny Seven. The device was nearly as big as him.

Now here's a question. I was never allowed one, presumably fire or chemicals were involved, and Dad wasn't having any of it. There were these little jet fighters, from the faded depths of memory, F-102 and the Skyray, mounted on stands. There was a fine ?plastic tube brom the belly which led to a little transparent sphere with something in it. I have a notion it was heated, and smoke eventually found it's way out of the back of the jets. Does anybody know the things I mean?
The closest thing I recall would be 'Jet-X engines. They had little grey pellets that fit inside a little metal tube with a fuse. You lit the fuse and the substance in the pellet would ignite and propel an object along a string. You could put them in airplanes or cars and they spewed out sparks and smoke but would propel the toy at a fast pace for a few yards before the propellant burned out. As I recall they stunk like the dickens too. My mom woudn't allow them indoors.

Tom