GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
eBay link is dead. And the only way to be sure if the CB-110 hub adapter will work is to measure that hub.

CB-100s and their clones can vary in OD anyway. A $20 digital caliper is a good investment, IMHO.
$45 gets you a custom MM adapter as long as the hub is under 1.6" Otherwise, Pat's 3-piece adapter allows for variances in CB110s n clones

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah the ebay link works from my pc but not via the forum. never mind.
Pat's adapter will arrive at my place within the next few days.
I have a digital caliper. But the wheelset is at the vendor, not in my room :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Give them a go Brett, if they dont explode i may give them a go.... LOL

Im no wheel building expert, but im guessing those rims wont hold up over time. The Alex downhill rims i told you about are twin walled rims

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ms_03_.png/170px-Bicycle_rim_diagrams_03_.png

The ones you are looking at id bet they are single walled rims

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/423612375/electric_bicycle_parts_single_wall_bicycle_rims_.summ.jpg

If you have ever ridden a downhill mountain bike you will know the sort of insane abuse these wheels stand up to.... so if i were you id use a downhill rim.... and if you really want chrome rims then you should import some worksman rims.... otherwise you may be building another set sooner rather then later.

Like i said i aint no wheel building guru, maybe these wheels will last (i doubt it) but a good set of wheels is just nice insurance

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure whether the worksman rims are double walled..... but they must be a higher quality build wheel, not to mention better steel used in their manufacture

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
another added bonus of the downhill rims will be lightness, and when you save weight in your wheels that translates bigtime to faster acceleration..... well, at least it is with bicycles

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
yup. Im thinkin to keep the spare hubs that I have, & try these cheap wheelsets initially, can always organize something with downhill rims later.
(It's mainly a display bike for our bobber parts business so no biggie).
the guy has told me the hub is 1 5/8".
Im guessing that means he doesnt have a digital caliper & is trying to measure with a ruler or something (grrrrrrr)
I guess if it's a few mm bigger, (than Shimano CB110) that the 3 piece hub adapter will still work anyway.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you do get those wheels and are only using the bike more as a display, why dont you just use the stock sprocket clamping setup supplied with the motor kit? When setup correctly most people dont have a problem with them, then you can sort out another set of wheels later like you said.....but if it were me id just get the stronger wheels built first and be done with it and ride with peace of mind

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
yeah that's a thought.
They can only supply 13g spokes locally here. there is a guy with some chrome rims here locally, havent got details on them just yet.
so it looks like if I get them laced up locally it'll be with 13g spokes.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I almost sure the Sportsman hub adapter will fit; Almost all those wheels have the Histop (Shimano clone) hubs.

How is that guy at BikeWorld making any money from giving those wheels away??? :confused:

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
when you get the wheel, grease the bearings. don't rely on the factory grease. it's usually just enough to keep the axle spinning when it's on the shelf.

also, it's not a "clone" of the shimano hub. it's a cheap chinese knockoff, that will more than likely seize up or blow apart after awhile. i've seen it happen.

the chrome is pretty lousy, too. if you live in a damp environment, you'll have some cool brown rims in a year or so. the spokes are nice, though, and for the price, you can't beat it.