What's the feeling about these pipes?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
As Easy Rider suggested, I always add a longer header. Gives it way more torque.

Every motor I have mounted this pipe, I have seen a 2-4mph increase with way better acceleration. There was two motors that did not increase MPH, but the snappy get up and go it did do to those motor well made up for the lack of mph increase.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As Easy Rider suggested, I always add a longer header. Gives it way more torque.

Every motor I have mounted this pipe, I have seen a 2-4mph increase with way better acceleration. There was two motors that did not increase MPH, but the snappy get up and go it did do to those motor well made up for the lack of mph increase.
Dave, which pipe are referring too? The one I linked, or the one easy rider linked?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
like the first one? check out sportscar pat's morini boardtracker. thats pipe #1 with some mods. flows with the lines of the frame and ends with a muff. too cool use of a cheep pipe, never of thought of it myself. dennis

nostyle

Nov 27, 2009
Cambodia Town
I say buy it new, used, or borrow one. Run it. Then do the mods as suggested to see how it all feels. I had one on my silly little black bike, it worked good. I was able to climb hills and pass a few mopeds in one of their rally's.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks Dave, that sounds like what I'm looking for. My top end already is fast enough for me. I'm really just looking for a little wider power band.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I ask this here, because you guys will have a more objective answer, because results matter more to you. From your observation how do these type of expansion chamber perform. Also how dependable do they seem to be.

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/performance/expansion-chamber.html
I have seen 2 types of those banana pipes, one goes rite on and clears the BB, the other is too fat and hits the BB and pedals.
I don't know which one that is.

One tip is you can elongate the mount holes in the pipe if you need to twist the pipe in a bit to get it to clear everything.

As for the long high straight one I was glad to get rid of it. If it wasn't burning my inner thigh it was a heat source between my legs for very little gain.

Though the right size banana pipe works OK and it's easy to install I like the Sick Bikes pipes for the best performance gain.
They are a pain in the butt to install but allow you to be creative and they are *tuneable.

They are generally mounted like this.

But you can route them like this and keep the fat part of the pipe away from your nad's.

Or even mount it like this and throw a big glass pack on the end and make it sound more like a Harley than a weed whipper ;-}

It also helps to understand how a 2-stroke motor works and why an expansion chamber is like a reverse turbo-charger. Just follow the green gas/air mix

*tuneable:
An Expansion Chamber Exhaust is only as good as the pipe between the cylinder and fat chamber. The object is to get all the spent fuel out of it so it is just filled with the unburnt fuel and the right length to allow as much back into the cylinder as possible before the port closes and it fires.

The SBP pipes straight copper pipe piece is how you tune it to the motor.
It is the right length for a 48cc motor, cut it about in half so the two 45 degree copper pieces snug up over it for a 66cc.

Regardless get an Iridium plug, the best $8 you'll ever spend especially with an X-chamber.

I hope that helps ;-}

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have seen 2 types of those banana pipes, one goes rite on and clears the BB, the other is too fat and hits the BB and pedals.
I don't know which one that is.

One tip is you can elongate the mount holes in the pipe if you need to twist the pipe in a bit to get it to clear everything.
Thanks for the post. I have the same frame as in this picture. I was wondering about the clearance. I noticed a slight difference in the shape of 2 of the banana pipes I'm looking at.

BGF has one for $37 shipped that looks a little skinner than the BikeBerry pipe. The BikeBerry pipe looks like the better of the 2, but it costs more than twice as much.

I'm leaning more toward the cheaper BGF banana pipe, mainly because of it's cost, and I don't care about the last hp. What would change my mind is, if someone said they tried it, and it broke right away, or it was hard to make fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160904218894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You can always put a piece of wood and dent the fat part for the pedals to get by but it does compromise performance a tad. Not much with those banana pipes as they don't have much anyway but some.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for the post. I have the same frame as in this picture. I was wondering about the clearance. I noticed a slight difference in the shape of 2 of the banana pipes I'm looking at.

BGF has one for $37 shipped that looks a little skinner than the BikeBerry pipe. The BikeBerry pipe looks like the better of the 2, but it costs more than twice as much.

I'm leaning more toward the cheaper BGF banana pipe, mainly because of it's cost, and I don't care about the last hp. What would change my mind is, if someone said they tried it, and it broke right away, or it was hard to make fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160904218894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I think maybe I'll order both of these banana pipes. I'll put one on the new bike I'm building, and one on the Atomic BB, and see which one I like best.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got the BGF pipe today. I had to modify it to get it to fit. It's a dinky little thing. It was hitting my front down tube till I squeezed it in my vise a little. Now it just clears the downtube.

I took it for one test ride so far. I'm going to check the plug in a minute. I couldn't tell much improvement. It's a lot louder then my original modified stock pipe. I'm not sure but my original pipe might go faster. Possibly it needs jetting?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The plug looks fine. I went for another test ride. It's pretty windy tonight, but I'm just not that impressed. It sounds like a buzz saw. It was real quiet before, and went 35-37 mph. I only saw 34 tonight. I'll give it a couple more tries, but if this is all it's got, it's off to the pile with it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The BGF pipe turned out to be total crap. Noisy, and no extra power. It didn't even think it work as good as my stock modified pipe. Total waste of money.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you understand the theory and design of expansion chambers
your results are no surprise.

How about cutting it open?
Is there a baffle or ? inside that pipe?
I'm pretty sure there's not any baffle. The sound is too nasty, and loud. I could live with loud, but it seems like it lost a couple of mph and the bottom end isn't any better either. Maybe it would help a 50 cc, but I doubt it.

I think my stock modified pipe might have more volume in it. My pipe has the original little baffle stuffed in the end of the pipe, but without the cat. The pipe itself is a piece of header I cut off an old sportster pipe, and screwed to the stock header. It has the stock end plate attached to the other end, and it's very quiet, but I can will go over 35 with it. It seems almost as good as my SBP pipe, but a little less bottom end is all.