What good thing happened while you were at work today?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Good thing at work time again. Not so much work as my vocation as a random guitar player. A couple of weeks ago, a friend dropped a guitar off that he had made for me (good thing no.1). I took it to Upton On Severn blues festival this weekend, got to jam at the open mic at the White Lion and found out that the built in fuzz wasn't necessary, this hooligan plank overdrives amps anyway (good thing no.2).

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Sounds like a good time at work Lud! Fuzz wouldn't be needed for me either, 'cause as bad as my hearing is everything is fuzzy soundin' all the time. Nice to have someone think enough of you to make you a guitar.

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's still a strange feeling knowing I actually have fans. Like almost all artists and performers, I am riddled with self doubt and the sense of never being quite good enough. Funny how that is, there are people who are much better than I am who are pale and shaking before they play, then they play like burning angels, and afterwards are angry with the universe because they feel they didn't do it well enough.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I understand that totally. When I was at the top of my game in the fabrication of lighting fixtures for historic homes (many years ago) I had a nice following and a lot of notoriety but it never felt comfortable. I appreciated the acknowledgement and acceptance of my work, but also knew fellas whom I considered better tinsmiths than I ever was. It's all in how you deal with it I think. I watched some very talented American craftsmen rise to the top and then lose it all either due to poor business decisions or getting too big for their britches.

I've seen some of your video and I'm a fan for sure. Keep at it old fella!

Dan

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That guitar looks 'udderly' rad!! I guess that I didn't notice on your video that you're left handed.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
None yet. Worryingly, I had a man chat me up once. I suppose I should be grateful that anyone still thinks I have a pulse.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I found out earlier why this guitar overdrives clean amps. 17 ohms resistance. I read up and 12-14 is considered forceful for heavy rock or metal.

Perhaps I can lose the amp and just plug straight into the speaker:)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I think it might be that "magnetic aura" thing that old rockers exude while performing. You probably don't even need the speaker!

Dan

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
None yet. Worryingly, I had a man chat me up once. I suppose I should be grateful that anyone still thinks I have a pulse.
LOL!!! I had that happen to me quite a long time ago. Nice enough fella, didn't think it was my thing, but thought he'd give it a shot anyway.
My uncle told me to be glad that anybody at all was interested! Man I hate my uncle. ;)

Lud, are you able to swap out that resistor?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Remove and unwind? This is a wheelying, tail wagging, tyre smoker of an instrument. You go and unwind your own pickups :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There actually isn't any resistor, it's pickup -> volume -> amp. Nothing else unless I flick the switch for the built in overdrive unit. Did I mention that?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Played at an open mic tonight, finally found one amp that stays clean. 40yr old Roland Cube 60. Flicking the switch for overdrive presents a range of sounds, including Tormented Soul, Snarling Tiger and Bottomless Grief.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
Jeez, ludwig, sounds like my day at work, just add greasy hair and bleeding knuckles.
Today is somewhat better, installing a lift kit- in a VW beetle. 1" makes a world of difference in winter. Adds clearance for slightly larger wheels.