WHAT..... Another 29er build!

GoldenMotor.com

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
I ain't never done no motorbike building afore. But since I dig some of the action on this forum I decided to give it a try. Ordered the Wally Mart Genesis Oynx 29er and it should be delivered this Saturday, However the Flying Horse 80cc engine kit just arrived today and since I had the day off I decided to start with it. All I really did was pull the head and cylinder and used a file and my table sander to polish off the fins on the barrel, I like the look of the black fins with the polished edges after I went over it with 1000 grit wet & Dry sandpaper.
Then I taped off the head and gave it a coat of high temp Competition Orange paint. I had another decal from a mini bike build I did and it fit perfectly on the clutch cover. Here is what the motor looks like as of NOW..... I also am adding a picture of the mini bike build just for fun! I put a HF 212cc motor in it with some performance mods and it hauls Azz!

MORE to follow as the parts come in! brnot

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! Engine looks realy neet,love the fins done that way.

Kooool mini bike,like that stile fram. Welcome to the forum...........Curt

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Thanks Curt!
I can't wait for the bike to get here so I can get started! I'm not going to do any performance mods until the engine is broke in. I ordered all my parts last week so things are starting to roll in. It should be a fun build!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ordered the Wally Mart Genesis Oynx 29er and it should be delivered this Saturday
Hi Bad, nice to see you.
What is your plan to mount a back sprocket as the kit sprocket is for 36 spoke wheels and the Onyx has like 72.

You can get away with only using about 5 bolts opposed to 9 but make sure they good bolts.
Otherwise you are looking at $100 for a 3-prong hub mount and sprocket, or of course just jackshaft it like this similar G7.

Just a heads up.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Guess I wasn't aware the sprocket was going to be a problem, I like the looks of the Jack shaft and will lean that way. OK so.... back to more researching. Thanks for the heads up!

OK just looked it up, Jack Shaft is spendy and more work but a nice system if you want to upgrade to derailleur type gears from the stock single. Cheapest on ebay was $139.99

The Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter is a nice clean way to go and he markets one for use on the Genesis Oynx 29. I like the way it clamps to the hub instead of the spokes, I'm thinking this is the way I will go! $85.99 shipped on ebay

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Guess I wasn't aware the sprocket was going to be a problem, I like the looks of the Jack shaft and will lean that way. OK so.... back to more researching. Thanks for the heads up!

OK just looked it up, Jack Shaft is spendy and more work but a nice system if you want to upgrade to derailleur type gears from the stock single. Cheapest on ebay was $139.99

The Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter is a nice clean way to go and he markets one for use on the Genesis Oynx 29. I like the way it clamps to the hub instead of the spokes, I'm thinking this is the way I will go! $85.99 shipped on ebay
A Jackshaft is ideal if you have bike gears, my example bike has a 3-speed internal.

Otherwise the MM hub and sprocket will work fine.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Crap! I just found an old Schwinn straight bar cruiser and would love to build a board track bike. I know the straight bar bikes are hard to come by but I blew most of my wad on the Onyx. I should really get it though! I haven't started the build yet so I could switch over but it would cost me! Maybe I will get it and just put it away for later!

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
The bike came today so I took it out of the box and first thing I did was pull apart and grease the front wheel, then I removed the fork and cleaned and greased that, then pulled the crank apart for inspection and greased it as well, I'm glad I did as it had a lot of metal shaving from the frame in it, the crank is a piece of crap but I will use it for now. I de stickered the whole bike then went to put my new seat on and the seat post was the wrong one, I need the old style post. I went to a couple bike shops and they had nada so I am going to have to order one. While I was at the bike shop they had a Sunlight brake set with the handle and cable, all for $18.00 so I got it, I installed it on the bike and it just fits, I had to drill out the mount to fit the 1 inch bars but it worked great and it is all on and working. Here's a few pictures.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
See if you can get yourself a longer front brake handle before you get your throttle on, the Sun kits handle is too short to get a good grip past the throttle housing.

Another thing to consider is putting another C-brake on the back and just get an $8 self-adjusting dual pull brake lever from sickbikeparts, it is plenty long enough and you'd have 3 brakes, it works good.

This build has 3 different brake types, Front V, rear C and rear Coaster brakes.

Just consider your coaster brake your foot operated emergency brake ;-}

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
I am thinking on using a motorcycle brake lever as the lever would be longer and the housing on this one is made from a type of plastic. I will look at upgrading the rear brakes as well. Thanks for the info! .wee.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
I decided to make my own motor mount clamp, the one that came with the kit was just a flat piece of metal. I started with some 1x 2x 3/16th tubing. I cut a piece 3" long then measured the frame and drilled an off set hole in the 1x2 piece and trimmed the edges off. Then ground the edges smooth and split a piece of Vacuum line to go around the edges and the u bolt, not for vibration dampening but to protect the alloy frame. All said and done it is mounted very stout, I used the front strap that came with the kit to double up on the rear mount.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
I next needed to mount the gas tank and as you can see the studs are not long enough for the Onyx top tube.

So I headed over to good old ACE Hardware and found some aluminum couplers in the correct thread and I got some stainless screws, they also had non threaded spacers from the same material so here is what I ended up with.

Being they are completely round they were hard to thread onto the studs so I used a dremmel to cut a slice across them and this allowed me to use a screw driver to screw them against the spacers, I also added a couple rubber pads for the frame to rest on.

Here is the final result, the tank is mounted firmly on the bike using the stock bottom straps.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Then I moved onto the coil, What I did here was drill out the mounting holes on the coil so the bolts could move loosely, I found a longer flat strap in the hardware kit and I bent it around the frame, then bent the ends over in my vice, I used the stock screws and mounted the coil, I need to enlarge the U in the coil body to fit the frame better.

I used the water bottle mounting bolts to mount some straps to hold the split loom that I put around the wires, that will keep it clean and tight!

Here is what it looks like so far.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I really like your attention to detail, Badlands. It often makes the difference between a great looking build and 'just another motorized bicycle'. Keep up the nice work and keep us informed on the progress. Thanks for sharing too.

Tom

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Hey thanks 2Door, I was lookin at your "My Albums" page and it looks like you do some mighty nice work yourself! I love the Captain America easy rider bike but the Nortons probably my favorite! Really NICE WORK!

usflg

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
This is where my build starts to take off in a different direction! I had ordered front and rear heavy duty Origin8 Classique Cargo racks and a Sunlite seat clamp/rack mount which by the way is a 31.8mm for the Genesis Onex for those of you looking. (if your going to mount a rear rack this is the way to do it!) Yeah... so it all came fedEx today and after work I went out and installed them. The racks are adjustable and fit the 29er Onyx very nicely. I had to put the front rack bracket behind the brake mechanism as there wasn't enough thread left in front to double nut the stud on the brakes which it the tension adjustment for the brakes but it all worked out great.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is a beefy looking front rack. What do you plan to carry on it?

Okay, you've got me curious. It looks like the seat tube has been filled with something. What am I missing?

Tom