well just got pulled over.

GoldenMotor.com

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
and given the run around for about an hour taken to jail bike impounded and a ticket written for not having a license not having it registered and no head light tails lights when i did in fact have a 900 lumen headlight. im in Michigan btw.
so tomorrow im getting a lawyer and and fighting this. ive read the laws and i wasn't breaking any cept for going 30 after going down hill in a 25 >.>. and i was 300 feet from a 35 mph zone when i got pulled over to.

im the third person they've hassled over this the other 2 got the cases thrown outta court and nothing happened. beside having to pay to get the bike outta impound.

Peter16

Jun 24, 2012
Australia
Im sorry to hear this. I have ridden past a few cops and they have not cared however there are a few idiot riders around here so i dont think it will be long until they start cracking down on us

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
no its a gas bike but the laws state a electric assist or low powered motor vehicle there's no specific laws pertaining to motor assisted bicycles its not a moped and its not a motor cycle so the only category it could fall under is electric assisted bike

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I live in MI and registered my bike as a moped. Then you do need a license. 15 bucks for 3 years for the moped sticker is cheap. Hope they let you off.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Well you might be mistaken on that one. I'm in MI too and just completed the registration process. It might seem like nitpicking but there's a difference between a motor (electric) and an engine (gas/fuel). I went to the Michigan Secretary of State Office to check on the requirements before putting mine on the road. A motorized bicycle is considered an "assembled moped" in MI. There's a process to getting it inspected by the police, applying for a VIN, and getting the bike registered. Here's a link to the requirements: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

You can get the rest of the forms at the SoS office. I was never able to locate them online. You need to have the receipts for the bike (frame, fork and wheels) and the engine. MI wants their 6% sales tax on all out of state purchases at the time of registration.

Sorry if this isn't what you want but perhaps you could save the legal fees and get any fines waved if you were registered or in process of doing so by your court date. Lawyers are not cheap but maybe a consultation would be worth it.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i know 6 people who ride these in town and never get hassled they only hassle a few people and that's the younger ones that are riding these. and from what i know by reading the Michigan laws thread. its considered a bicycle, if its considered a moped and a electric bike is not then im sorry but that's total bs because i know for a fact that electric bikes can got 50 mph easy. where as these gas bikes can barely hit 30 mph stock and inch there way to 40mph with out major mods

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You probably got their attention at 42mph in a 25 zone, it doesn't matter if you were 10' from the 35 zone, you weren't in it.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Yup, I hear what you're saying as far as the law being unclear and not being enforced uniformly. I know several people with motorized bikes locally all with 66cc, none with lights or registration, many pull their kids in trailers, etc all not to the MI law. Unfortunately they picked you out of the crowd. I'm not saying you shouldn't feel like you do just that now that you are in a situation that needs to be resolved and I think the law is not going to see your side. So, maybe find a lawyer that will do a free counciltation and consider registering the bike. My two cents.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me if there is anything you think I can do as far as registration.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i know they picked me outta the crowd to hassle they've done it to 2 other people in town under the age of 30 and both cases got thrown outta court im gonna go get my license back like i shoulda done last month and get it registered so they'll leave me alone. could easily drive a car but i dont want to riding the bike is more fun even if its only at 30 mph.

thanks for the input and i will definatly contact you if i run into any problems reg it

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have only seen a couple of the bikes around here and haven't had a chance to ask any if they have been pulled over or not.

I also live in Michigan and yes the law on it is sketchy.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i would like the laws to be clear on it that way things like this don't happen but they make it a run around to get things figured out, and it shouldn't be like that wi is easy all you need is a licnes to ride it and it cant go faster than 30 straight forward at to the point