• NO!~ Your insane~

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Absolutly ~! Spectator only

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Flying motorized bikes were discussed here a few years ago and somebody posted a video of this guy in Australia. He works in the outback, or something, and has to travel many miles. His solution was to strap a hang glider on his motorcycle, attach a prop to the back that's driven by the rear wheel. He tows this contraption behind his motorcycle, to the airport in his hometown, attaches it to his motorcycle, flies to where he is working, takes everything off his bike, and rides it to his job. The video was about 10 minutes long or so and shows him towing the wings and prop. Attaching everything and flying away. Was a very inspirational video.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
"Flying motorized bikes were discussed here."
Not like this.
"strap a hang glider on his motorcycle,.................inspirational video."
So what it is a motorcycle with a modern wing. Just what so hard about that. Its not a bicycle. Its not a flying machine from the steam or diesel era. It is not even art, and it fly's. Flying machines do not work. Their actual use is purely mythical.
Oh and have seen the video. I got no inspiration for this build challenge from looking at it.

Thanks for bringing it up so we could clear that air. Should I post some vid links to mans early attempts off flight. I just don't get why anyone does not understand what this is about.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Two reasons for me not getting involved: (1) I don't live in the US; and (2) my doctor would have kittens if she found out I was getting involved in something like this.

BUT having said that I'm very much with you in spirit LabRat.

Many years ago two friends in a pub here in NZ made a bet; - which was that one of the pair couldn't build a flying machine that could actually fly. Well he did build a successful flying machine based on one of the early pioneer machines using aluminium tubing, sailcloth and the engine from his single banger Ducati motorcycle.
He got into terrible trouble with the aviation authority people, but in the end they decided not to prosecute provided he promised that he would never do it again. His flying machine did the rounds of various hotrod and classic car/machinery shows for a while after and that was where I got to see it with my own eyes.. It was a beautifully constructed, delightfully simple and it looked just like the pioneer aircraft it was based on. Sorry I don't have a photograph as I didn't own a camera then, or would even know where to find one as this was pre-internet.
It looked like this, but the engine was mounted lower directly in front of the pilot and the ends of the wings had a more rounded off shape.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lab, gonna take me a, guesstimate, 3 more years to finish mine and can only compete from afar. But I am in for the 3rd annual.

But I'll take your bet and your gonna regret 'cause I am the best builder of obviously suicidal, "boy, you're gonna die in that thing" ultra lite, amphibious aircraft that theres ever been.... (LOL, my apologies to the Charlie Daniels band)

Any local flight clubs involved?

My build is an absolute copy of proven craft and concepts. Kinda picked and choose-ed. Just for safety's sake.

But awesome idea and thanks for the invite! If I hit lotto, and I of course will, will be there in person. This is too fun. Crazy but too fun.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Lab, gonna take me a, guesstimate, 3 more years to finish mine and can only compete from afar. But I am in for the 3rd annual.

But I'll take your bet and your gonna regret 'cause I am the best builder of obviously suicidal, "boy, you're gonna die in that thing" ultra lite, amphibious aircraft that theres ever been.... (LOL, my apologies to the Charlie Daniels band)

Any local flight clubs involved?

My build is an absolute copy of proven craft and concepts. Kinda picked and choose-ed. Just for safety's sake.

But awesome idea and thanks for the invite! If I hit lotto, and I of course will, will be there in person. This is too fun. Crazy but too fun.
Yes, that's sort of what I am afraid of, serious builders that can actually fly. Its not all that hard to fly considering our understanding of flight principles.

Hope to see a lot of failed attempts. This is the point; to revive the failed attempts of yester year; just build something spectacular that is clearly unable fly.

If it runs and it rolls down the ramp and attempts to fly then its a successful flying machine from the late 1800 early 1900 era of mans attempts of flight. Powered and human powered.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Won't be able to see me from there. (I'm 3,000 miles away and hopefully, at tree top level, snork) But ya have my support and well wishes!

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Two reasons for me not getting involved: (1) I don't live in the US; and (2) my doctor would have kittens if she found out I was getting involved in something like this.
IDK but a Doctor having kittens now that would be something to see!

Thanks for the post. Like the wings. And sails is something I have a line on and am considering for material - free if I get a free sail its sails!

Don't be discouraged from afar. Video submissions are accepted and will be aired on location on the wide screen.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And it begins.... MF form Onancock Virginia wins the first to concept testing.

Come fly with us Sept 2015!

This is what he was doing 12/24 12/25

All he wants for Christmas is to fly
I think he needs to pedal much, much faster! Pics 2&3.... a portable basketball hoop, without the hoop installed?

If I could get the tandem to fly.....attain 10,000-20,000'.....then bail and skydive for the first time. Yes i'd be wearing a properly packed parachute of course! And a GoPro :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I probably wouldn't care about it. The problem will flying is, unless you have your own private airfield you have to go somewhere to do it. Same reason I never liked riding off road, or boating.

I live in a big city. I like being able to just ride out of my garage, and I'm there.