vintage engine build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Truckd It will be my own design but in a vintage style. Doing it this way I can build in the things that I like and keep it doable in my home shop.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
ok I think I have it figured out . A chain from here to their and a belt from their to here and a few bent tubes a tank and just a few more part and I am done

LOL, snort snicker.

When I looked at your pics, before reading, was gonna suggest....

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
You guys are to funny LoL.
Here are some pictures of how the head was forged on the spokes.
The spokes were cut to length and one end was threaded in the lathe with a die.
A die was made with the same center drill used to make the spoke holes in the rim. This die was made so that when it was put in the vice it held the spoke tight. Heat was applied to the end of the spoke and forged with a hammer and you get tired of doing this after 52 times.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I make my own custom brake and clutch cable and the process is very similar,Mainly because I different colored cable housing and the stop's aren't usually dependable.
Nice job!

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I got the front tire mounted on the rim and started on the fork assembly. Here is a couple pictures .

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Chris I recheck my spring its 1.75 wide by .25 . Your add says 1.625. could some one that knows the original width post it please. I fill like it should be wider then 1.75 . thanks Tom

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I have been working on my forks. Here are some pictures. I will make some changes to them as this build progresses. They have good spring action and are more stout than I expected. What do you think? Tom

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
I very much like the look.
I plan to use the Indian geometry for mine where the fork is in the first hole, the axle in the second and the spring riser in the third.
This will compress the spring upwards and put less strain on the front fork.
Yours looks stout enough that it probably won't be an issue.
Nice work.

Here is a pic of a 1912 Indian front fork.

Whamo

Apr 14, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Lofe the lines of that frame - what O.D. is the tubing with .12 wall? I'm still working out ideas for a frame in my head and trying to figure out what size tubing is "standard", such as it is.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just a question ??
At what degree did you work the head tube? since your spring strut is set in front of the axel would it make since to angle the head tube a little more, (I believe it's called Trail) to get more absortion from the spring.
You have more experience (as shown) so could you please! explain why you decided to run it at that angle
Thanks!
You wouldn't happen to live in Australia would you? you and Dare Devil could build and awsome bike together if you did,with the knowledge you two have WOW!

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Tom!!!!!! I cannot believe the skills! Wow this is way above my dremel and angle grinder!
Going to be the badest around.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys
Whamo The tube is 1 inch od this is what the motorcycle frame building shop in okc uses to build their bike frames. This thick wall tube is hard to bend but it does not deform like a thinner wall would.

Truckd the head is set at 70 degrees. This is my first bike build and I am just using pictures off the net as a reference. I have see some that are 60 degrees and they start to look like choppers to me. If I am making a mistake with this please speak up. I live in Oklahoma.

Motomagz I built a metal lathe with a file and a drill press so don't let the lack of tools stop you.