Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You do need plates and insurance in Minnesnowda for mopeds. That's why I said that you may have to work the vin number in so it can be registered as a moped.

The 17 number and letter vin is only after 1988. Before that it was fewer but 1987 and older will have the correct amount anyway.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It sounds like the first order of business is to get a title for the moped frame to be incorporated into the velocar (or cyclecar or whatever you call it). On the other hand if I were to utilize a bicycle frame and stayed under 50cc could I be legal with it as a velocar? If it was set up without either bicycle or moped frame but had pedals and was under 50cc, what would it be? I want to end up with something legal. At this point I'm free to pick whichever route to that end will work. Of course I'd rather not have to register or insure it, but being legal and able to use it is the important thing. I need to determine the best strategy.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Absolutely right. Stay away from the moped idea. It will be a lot more problems and harder to build.
They can't say much I wouldn't think if the closest that the velo gets to a moped is you park it next to one.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Arrrggh! Nice looking bodyshells and all that, but the price is horrible. Too swoopy and Star Wars-like for me anyway; - not to mention having to try tying myself into a knot to get into the thing. Plywood and sensible 1920s styled bodyshells for me everytime :)

I agree about the registration thing. Stick with bicycle parts and it remains at heart a bicycle. Just last week I was almost tempted into buying the back half of a Suzuki FA50, but backed away with two bits of scrap wood held up as a makeshift cross just in time before I doomed myself to the dark wasteland of official vehicle registration.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Having been in the fiberglass business I thought the bodies were very reasonable. Certainly star wars styling but reasonable.

Thankfully I've been able to put the dark wasteland of motor ownership behind me knowing the size of the fines here. Around a $1,000 to start and up.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Oh I have no doubts that the bodyshells are a good and fair price Fasteddy, - it's just that I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on any sort of bodyshell even if it was made of beaten gold. Basic homemade and recycled is wot this girl has to stick with.

Somewhere on the internet I found a website where someone was building a bodyshell from paper mache laid over wire mesh supported by a wooden framework. Now that's more my style :)

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I know about recycled parts. Other than the floor and the luan skin under the mahogany that went on my side car ever thing was recycled from what we had around the house including the frame and fender.

Looking for a source of pallets that are made of mahogany to build the velocar.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been thinking about the velocar project way off in the future a year or two away from now. This is the time to be thinking about design and components, gathering together what will become "the project". In another post I'll show pictures of the front axle assembly.

Below is the remains of my Grumman canoe sidecar project. This is the "leftovers" which measures 8'6". I just got back from a winter in Maryland to my home in Minnesota, wondering for months now if the remains is long enough for a velocar body. Plenty enough, especially considering it will need to have a "nose" or radiator section in front, probably made of fiberglass.

I picked up the motorcycle windshield at an auction for a few bucks. The plan is to cut it off so the lower portion is gone.

I'm thinking the engine will be behind the cockpit and at this time am leaning toward the 99cc predator with a transmission modeled after Wayne Z,'s variable speed transmission. With a 49cc sticker for the engine I may be able to pass this off as legal. I'll use the pull start and figure I can make the pull cord extra long and run a couple of pulleys to direct it so that I can pull start the engine while sitting in the cockpit. The pull handle would come out of the dashboard. Also a remote choke.

Trying to figure if the body at the front end will need to be pulled in some so it is less wide. Also need to think about the seating. I'm leaning toward one seat for me (like a boat seat) with a little jump seat directly behind for Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog and as a place to put groceries.

I'm also figuring the radiator is where the gas tank will be with the radiator cap actually being the gas cap. Also figuring one side of the body directly behind the radiator will hinge up so that there is a storage area for tools and such.

Don't know about a convertible top yet, probably not.

I'm thinking wheels in the 24" range or a little smaller... probably from mopeds... something stout.

Full lighting and horn. Headlights will be chrome dune buggy lights from Harbor Freight. Hood ornament will be the Indian head running light from Indian motorcycles. Dynamo will either be Sturmey archer or more likely will try to figure a way to run a pulley from the engine crankshaft to a small automotive type alternator.Turn signals and rear lights will be self made copper jewel torpedo lights.

This is gonna be fun!
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Walter

Welcome back. Will this build be after the House Boat or before?? lol

Ron
Hey Ron,
Your pontoon boat made into a house boat looks super. Bet you can hardly wait to head north with your "home for battered fish".

Yes, it is so good to be home at Eaglesnest riding the Panther down Bear Head Road with virtually no traffic at all. Moosh and I had to stop the other day to give a black bear the right of way. Moose, timber wolves and bears always get the right of way. Ha!

I have three bike projects this summer... a makeover of the Panther and giving it the sidecar, work on the Indian Hiawatha to get it roadworthy and ready for Fasteddy's tri car front end and to finish up the shift kit stuff on a 1934 Elgin I was working on last summer. Plenty to keep me busy and broke. Oh and also finish up the Orphan moped so I can sell it and pay for bot stuff.

My pontoon boat project is next in line with hopes of replacing the rotting deck and framing in the cabin, making the aluminum extension for the front end where the Grumman canoe sail rig will get mounted and that's about it if I even get that far. Your house boat "Home For Battered Fish" is A1 top of the line. Mine will be the Huck Finn version, just a small rustic cabin, an anemic motor to push it along when there's no wind for the sail and all on a bare bones budget, as usual. Tinsmith gave me a great little wood stove for heating and cooking that had been his grandmother's. That will be the best part of the little cabin.

The fishing opener is this Saturday. I'll go through the ritual with my neighbor down the lake and yesterday set the minnow trap for Rainbow chubs as bait... "here walleyes, come pike, all pan fish are welcome at my table".

Hope to see you up this way at motorbicycle camp this summer.
SB