Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello Annie,
Great family video - they really enjoy in driving their simple and fragile velocar!

Also, great is your signature! Chocolate is great food for happiness!
--- ---
Now, a few photos on theme "Who needs velocars, at all?"...

(I need one, for sure)

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
... and, a few more photos on theme "Who needs velocars, at all"?
I am not sure if those tandem-sociable are practical at all, but it seems that people could ride them?
Anyway, for me one classic velocar in a style of old Mochet, or modern Elkins. Real motorised quadricycle should be the best, BUT... (not this time I am afraid)...

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
What are the rules concerning cross border use? If the vehicle is only used occasionally on Swiss roads, say a total of 3 months every year, without needing Swiss registration, could it be officially stored elsewhere?

I spent years formulating rules for a motorcycle racing series, and I have developed an unfortunate habit of deviousness.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Ludwig,[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]I can't be sure for Swiss, but know some older regulations for Serbia: tourist can keep cars with foreign plates as much as they stay in country – nobody control how long it is, but... If stay more then a year he is resident and can't keep such cars any more! Must return them to his country, or put them at official custom parking, or take temporarily Serbian plates for foreigners... Now, in EU countries there are not any controls on borders any more, but resident couldn't keep cars with foreign plates... Probably some cheating could be possible, but not advisable: cars could be requisitioned and person could lost “auswisse” and license for work!
P.S.: trough many years (decades?), all of us from Balkan (former Yugoslavia and around), we are used to [/FONT]
"... developed an unfortunate habit of deviousness ..." - combined with corruption and familiarism... Probably influence of Turkish occupation long 5 centuries?

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Ha ha, I love it Allen. I can just visualise that with my mind's eye. :D
Some time ago I posted this page from some scans of French plans I have and surprise surprise what form does the chassis take, - a jolly old buckboard of course.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Hello Annie,
That French plan is quite interesting as most that you scanned and posted here-and-there. I hope that have all of them saved to my computer. Beside being interesting as historical artifacts about small cars, they could be useful as inspiration with general layout or some details.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]This one attracted my attention as possible modification of beloved buck-board motorised light quadricycle, or with more modification as HPV velocar. However, I think that with it there could be some problems. Carosserie is too complicated and work-absorbing for my possibilities (but, it could be build). More complication is with its nature. Chassis, or entire body, of any model of Buck-board, is simple and flexible in spite being without any suspension. It is elastic in the middle to give some kind of “comfort” over bumpy surface and elastic for torsional forces (could be twisted) for uneven surface... With such a body in a style of plywood monocoque, it would become too stiff or body should broke being quite inelastic?[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Here are the photos of our beloved Waltham Orient, in the first version without any suspension, in spite being bigger, heavier and more serious auto then Red-Bug or Smith-Flyer... And a few unusual of similar buck-boards...[/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Terrific videos Zoran. There are some great design ideas there and nearly all of them homebuilt too :)

Cyrillic script? - Oy vey, - it's certainly beyond me. I have enough trouble with Biblical Greek :rolleyes:

One velocar design in particular interested me a great deal as it's what used to be called a 'Sociable' format (as in the Scott Sociable). Seeing that has really got the cogs in my brain working :D

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOL I would do something different for steering though,seems like a long reach with the bars like that.
Kind of looks like a offset trike ..........Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Hello there,
Almost all Slavic nation, except Croatians and Slovenians (from former Yugoslavia), than Czechoslovakians and Polish – used some kind of Cyrillic alphabet. All are different a little, but are based on old Greek alphabet brought to Slavic Orthodox Christian Churches by Greek monks Cyril and Method. In XIX century we modernized our and made the most perfect alphabet in the World. Therefore, I could read Russian Cyrillic text, in spite that there are some letters/signs that are different. Of course, as I didn't learn Russian at school, I can't understand everything: some words are the same, some similar but a lot of them quite different!

It is great opportunity to peak-out off the Anglo-Saxony (wider: English speaking) world to search the subject of our hobbies. Annie often show us what could be found under French or Spanish language, but Russian could show us a lot.
As I mentioned, the first velocars/velomobiles I saw in one Magazine in Belgrade’s Russian library, some 50 decades ago – but couldn't “take” it or cut the pictures – librarians were too strict! Here are attached a few photos that I find now on Internet! Соме оф тхем аре фром тхат магзаине, соме фром латер период. Some of them are from mentioned magazine and used for ordinary cheap transport, and some from later period - more as hobby and sport HPV.

If you are interested, try to search using COPY & PASTE with following words: “веломобил” or “Веломобиль” (velomobile), then “велосипед” (bicycle) or “трициклы” (three-wheeler)

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zoran,
thanks for sharing the pictures... I have been staring for several minutes at picture #2 showing the sub structure and thinking to myself how nice it would be to have a removable cab for my hybrid delta trike. Something with plastic pipe or light conduit covered in fabric and clear plastic for "windows" would work. Something to think about.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
That particular velocar got me thinking because amongst all my hoarded treasures I have a somewhat down on its luck sidecar rickshaw chassis that could be re-purposed into something similar.
Hello IWW,
I know that you like such "sociable-type" velocars (for one person), but couldn't be sure about stability at corners. In this case, left corner could be dangerous at any speed over a few MPH? But, it is cute and simple!

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Somebody has reversed the Sociable image up there, this is what they look like the right way round.