Twist of new and old.

GoldenMotor.com

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
For some time I have toyed with the idea of steam power but with a modern approach. It would use a compact propane flash boiler that would be a fully automatic on demand dry steam delivery system. It would be almost silent, deliver a crazy amount of torque, and go quite a few miles on a gallon of water and a small cylinder of propane. Any thoughts, input, or insults?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
What sort of bike will you choo-choo-choose? Sorry bad joke.

Steam powered bike sounds cool, certainly not my field of expertise though, any pics, links or diagrams?

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I've actually seen a small steam powered front wheel friction drive steam engine/ boiler... it was a brand new set up at the time (15 years ago?) and you could purchase them as a kit. All brass too...real pretty. I don't see why you couldn't build one yourself...go for it!
Goldy

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
I did make a few drawings once but my brain has made a lot of design changes since then. It would be rear wheel drive and use two pistons going to the rear crank set on a tandem bike. From there a bigger chain to the wheel. Also an old steam train whistle would be a must!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
That build is a work of art! I love the old look but I just wonder what you could do with all modern stuff with the goal of keeping a steam powered bike light, powerfull, and efficient.
Set up right, How far could you go on a cylinder of propane? How long will a gallon of water last? And how much power can be made without too big of a trade off in efficentcy?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A steam powered MB would be uber cool. Norman posted this site. Projects In Metal, LLC Forum Was down just now, when I tried it. But they have some plans for mini ones that I was thinking of just scaling up.

Working now. (the web page. I am on a cell phone connected laptop and might have gotten timed out)