The Russian engines D-4,D-5,D-6,D-8. History.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You both have very nice bikes over there. Thank you for telling us all about them. I think those Russian made engines have a lot more visual style than these Chinese engines that are available to us. I have a feeling the Russian engines may be higher quality also.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Neat looking ride...
From what I've read and seen the USSR version of the engine looks far more robust than the china girl copy.
I wonder...is there some dusty old ware house somewhere in mother Russia with an entire stock pile of NOS motor bikes?
Great business opportunity... id buy every one i could get my hands on.
Hows it run?
BBB

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Wow, it took me a long time before even reading anything on this thread. I sure was missing out. I gained much knowledge from the information posted about these little Russian engines. Thanks for the history lesson! Great Stuff!

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
USSR version of the engine looks far more robust than the china girl copy.
Definitely.

is there some dusty old ware house somewhere in mother Russia with an entire stock pile of NOS motor bikes?
Possible, but not so much. Most of all engines and mopeds can be found in garages, basements, etc, people bought it.

When USSR was almost ending, there was economical situation - people had enough money, but nothing to buy. Deficit, you know. Housing was almost for free, food - very cheap, and sums of money were left.
So people often bought something, even if not needed, just to spend a money. Our family had big packs of washing powder, appr. 5-6 brand new mixers and hand drills, and so on.
The same with mopeds - some people bought them even without any intention to use, and these things just stayed there, before now. Absolutely sure - somewhere in garages something still can be found.
A year ago me by myself bought brand new (well, not used, sounds funny to call "new" things 50+ y.o. :) ) parts of old D4 engine kit:

Remained intact since bought in 1958...

But also warehouse can be found. For example - one person found warehouse with remainings of "Kroha" ("A little one" in translation) motorized bicycles:

and made some business out of it...

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Once again about business...
When people on Russian motorized bicycle forum saw this thread, one of them offered "small business".

Another person took this:
http://www.dyr4ik.ru/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=6037

and made this:

ZIF-77 and copper

Well, the thing is, that one advised to tell the Americans,that this this one ZIF-77 can be sold by price of 800 (eight hundred) USD.

It is a very high price, for Russia, it was told as a joke.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Cool. I thought you had done a disc brake conversion to the old road fork, but its still cool even just for looks. Thanks for the comparison photo. I really like the round shape of the Russian motor better.

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Disk brake conversion - yes, tried, but old fork is too soft, it spins when braking, so this particular disk is just for "better looking" :D

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
do our chinese motors have the ability to install a headlight with out additional hardware? or am i better off just getting a battery powered one?.

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
All "late" Russian engines, such as D8, have this ability. Some power taken from first coil, with diode before lamp.

As I know, at least some of Chinese engines also have something similar, but I have no idea, how to check this.

In my opinion, it is easier to use common battery-powered bicycle LED lights.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm running Norman's Light Kit off my China Grubee's dyno. Look up Norman on this board and see if he has any more.

I also run battery powered flashers as backup lights.

The light bulb is a heavy duty 6 volt maglite-type automotive bulb, in a nice bullet type headlight.

There are a lot of threads about this topic.

A couple tips: Run a slightly narrower gap on your plug after filing the arm to a rounded fingernail shape or dull point, and adjust your engine idle high enough it doesn't die when the light is on.

You need a switch on the handlebar so you can disable the light, to restart your engine in traffic. The light may make it difficult or impossible to start the bike if the device is On.

There are $30 products on Ebay that ADD a 12v generator inside the magneto case, so you can run lights without affecting the ignition. Good luck!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was just looking at the member's map posted by Dave31 and noticed there are none of our Eastern Brethren listed.

Didn't mean to go OT (off topic) Just thought it would be cool to see how many folks were out your way. Really want to go to one of the get togethers. The vids always look like a blast. Some day. If I hit the lottery, lol

AbleSmith

Jan 11, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
I just wanted to tell you, this is really great and appreciable post, first time got this information about Russian engines, After being inspired, i can say this is really great stuff, hope to see more interested articles.

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
One more historical document - announce of "new engines for bicycles" in journal "За рулём", ("By the steering wheel") June 1957:

Found by myself in library. :)

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Pretty nice "late" D8E, with outer coil. Some kind of resonator installed, good!
Pink wire - yes, it is important, to have direct connection between engine and coil. Originally it is made through frame, but yes, recommended to double it with sure wire.

Not good, that air filter is absent. It is easier, in my opinion, to regulate carburetor with filter on.

Most common recommended improvement - to take rid with cylinder cap aluminum ring:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
One more magazine article about first concept of Soviet motorized bicycle:

My brief translation:

Now-days one of Leningrad factories produce D4 engines, whose can be installed on standard serial road bicycles. But regular road bicycle (with D4 engine) use experience shows, that in many cases bicycle frame is not enough strong, but hard front fork makes rider tired. Lviv factory constructors, in cooperation with Kharkiv bicycle builders and with Central moto constructors bureau taking part - they constructed special bicycle, to be used exactly with D4 engines (see picture). As you can see on photo, this bicycle has reinforced frame, standard bicycle wheels, and amortized front fork.

Published in January, 1958.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you for the translation! This now has me thinking of putting front suspension on my cruiser bicycle. It will be a long time coming though. I prefer the motorcycle style telescopic forks where the top of the fork tubes pass through both upper and lower fork brackets. They tend to cost more which will be the delay.