'The Beast' - Reborn

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I recently acquired a slightly used Tanaka 47r & decided to mount it to a Dax friction drive w/1.5" roller.
After riding it now for roughly 150 miles, I can say that the 47r is a bit more powerful everywhere compared to my other trusty steed powered by a Tanaka 40cc. Fuel economy with the 47r is alot worse but then again I'm moving faster or accelerating harder most of the time.
I only have positive things to say about the quality of any of my Tanaka's (I have a 32cc a 40cc & 47cc).
Here's a pic of the latest version of 'The Beast'.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm thinking about adding a huge ATV fairing to this bike for winter riding. The ATV fairing is 35" wide to fully cover my hands & 20" tall to block the torso & head. Has anyone added something like this to a bicycle before? I'm wondering if the handlebars will fight me going 45 mph?
-Lowracer-

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
May be better to mount a smaller, universal mount deflector windshield. They make hand guards that will shield your hands from the wind in the winter and can be removed for warm weather.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
As long as it's not too heavy, it will work great in the winter!I used a similar fairing for years growing up in Chicago. I moved it from bikes to minibikes and even a go-kart one year. I helps a LOT to block the wind! I say try it and see. My 2 cents.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Man, either that bike is really little, or that's the biggest bicycle seat I've ever seen lol.

That windshield looks real nice for winter riding.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Lookin good. slotcarphill posted that he had mounted a windshield on his bike. Pictures in his profile folder.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=383596&highlight=windshield#post383596

Here's a few windscreens:

http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_upright.php

http://forums.mtbr.com/alaska/we-dont-need-no-steenking-pogies-242397.html

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54040&stc=1&d=1354347554

That looks like a good solid mounting system compared to others. Some Jones' H-bars go really nice with that windshield.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Biknut,
I had 3 Gyes beach cruiser sprung leather saddles (similar to a Brooks) that I thought were big and comfortable until I stumbled upon this Serfas Super Cruiser Saddle.
The Serfas is larger, underside sprung, rear elastomers & thick gel padding with a lycra cover...Its more comfortable than sitting on the couch & makes the leather saddles seem like a bad joke. For long days in the saddle, I'm sold on comfort....I bought another Serfas for my 2nd MB...
I'll probably order the fairing I posted a pic of to see how I like it & post my thoughts on this thread.
Might as well go for the huge fairing to match the Hugh Jass saddle...lol
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I did some speed testing today with 'The Beast' powered by the Tanaka 47r.
First I hooked up my trusty tachometer with 2 zip ties to the steerer stem & wrapped the tach wire around the spark plug wire 6 times & fastened it with black electrical tape.
I went back and forth over a 1/4 mile stretch 4 times to get a varied sample size due to wind conditions (level ground at sea level here in the lowcountry).
At max rpm I saw 9300rpm for a bit before I had to get off the gas for my turn.
I probably could have gotten a few more rpm's given more distance &/or by getting my body more aero...
I'm running a Dax friction drive 1.5" roller so that equals 41.5 mph.
I'm very happy with that.
I have a new poo-poo pipe coming in the mail & I'll order that windshield to see how both affect max rpm & speeds as well as sound & cold weather protection.
-lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I did some more research on windshields for motorcycles & ATV's.
There is a difference in shield material.
The pic of the one I posted is made out of Acrylic & others are made out of Polycarbonate (Lexan). Looks like acrylic breaks into many sharp pieces when struck & Polycarbonate maintains its integrity. I will avoid the acrylic even though a bicycle isnt traveling as fast as a motorcycle.
I found another model that I like made out of Polycarbonate.
Tell me what you think of this one?
-lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I relocated my rear flasher today from the seatpost to the top of the rear friction drive strut. The fuel tank blocked the view of the light to cars behind me. I also pulled the spark plug to check it for color & looks like I got the mixture about right fiddling with it during the week. My rear CST C241 tire was looking a bit worn, but not worn out. I decided to change it anyhow to the CST C1218 I bought for $12.61/ea. This tire could be the perfect friction drive tire with its thich rubber & flat-head profile (similar to the C241 but without as many nooks & crannys to catch & hold small pebbles). I will post a review of these tires after I load up some more mileage on them.
Here are a few pics of how the bike looks now.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This screen business, what will your riding position be? Too low a screen and it will be no use, too high and wide, and you'll find how hard air is to shove out of the way.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16V, Thanks...

LudwigII, I got 'The Beast' setup now sitting very upright almost like a cruiser bicycle. I bought one of those angle adjustable stems for a different project but ended up using as my stem to experiment with stem angle & heights. I like it so much I will keep it on there & currently its almost at its highest position. I think my body is acting like a parachute & would rather the fairing do the air pushing? I'll have to have someone measure me while on the bike to get a better idea of how high I need the fairing to sit.
I watched one sell on eBay last nght for around $50 brand new....I should have bid...lol
-Lowracer-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Is that parallelogram mount your own fabrication? I like the design, it really beefs up the precarious looking rack mounts. If I had bikes with nice components like yours I'd consider showing them off as rack mounts! Those downhill forks must be very nice at 50 mph!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
LudwigII,
I think I prefer the full coverage fairing for max comfort riding 100 miles/day. Where I live isn't bitter cold during the winter, but cold enough.
16V,
I cut & drilled some metal bar to make my own mounts. I never liked nor could use the 'U' mount provided in the kits for the type bikes I had. The DH forks are definitely the best investment for a MB (I prefer Italian Marzocchi forks). They cross that mysterious line seperating bicycle from motorcycle allowing faster speeds with total control. The headtube angle on these DH bikes is slacker than most bikes & ads to that high speed handling. I've had this bike up to 53 mph with a different engine & it was solid as a rock...I have ridden motorized mountain bikes on both rigid forks & single crown MTB forks & both can't compare to the DH forks on the DH bikes.
I've been on the lookout for the ultimate motorized bike DH fork called a Marzocchi Monster T...its got the fattest 40mm stanchions & is pretty much bombproof.
-Lowracer-

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I had screens on an MZ I owned, the standard brackets were a dangerous joke. I made up tabs to bolt to the bar clamps and then went forwards and outwards to the holes already in the screen.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Another point, don't rake a screen too far back. It gets all aerodynamic and starts steering the bike for you.