The $50 Cruiser. Operational after over a year parked next to a barn

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Re: The DUI cruiser. Operational after over a year parked next to a barn

Ok, here's what I got done 1) The bearings were loose, and it was about attention to detail. 2) These little tabs are spring-wire actuated. Surprise to me- that's where the litte 'click' comes from. Had to fix one. 3) Putting it back together, touchy. 4) Almost. 5) Blue thread lock.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

1) The drum for the band brake. 2) The brake. Are those screws an adjustment? I screwed with them some... 3) The pedal drive sprocket. 4) You will notice the sprocket is only partially on the hub. The teeth are over the hub. It ain't right. 5) The pedal chain for 'one speed bicycles' was too short so I made it longer. Seems to work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

1) The chain is a liiittle tight. 2) The rear tire is still slightly cocked to the right, but the way it all works together- I believe it's ok.

Is this rear wheel part of my engine kit?

Attachments

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

There are two types of HD hubs, one with a freewheel set up and another for a fixed gear set up for the engine side sprocket.
Looks like you have the freewheel set up for your motor side sprocket. Not sure how it will hold up over time, I have the fixed gear set up. My 4g transmission had freewheel output sprocket and the spring loaded tabs didn't hold up. I had it welded up to a fixed gear set, which lets me engine brake.
The side screws are for adjustment as the brake wears in.

One recommendation is that you try and get that rear axel as far back into the drop outs as possible.Looks like you still have some adjustment on the motor chain, so you can add a half link on the pedal side chain to get the axel further back.

You can also get an old multigear derailleur and use it as a tensioner on the pedal side

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Late comer here...
Welcome to the forum, Trey! (since this is in the introduce yourself section)
I can't believe that you got that bike for only $50.00!
You stole it for that price! It is a pretty nice looking ride too.

This gasbike thing seems to be literally all over the world.
Lookin for a place on this site to post a "Where are you from- where are you now?" thread.
Check out this thread:http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22627
We are global. :D

There is also this section for looking for folks near you to ride with or just meet and hang out, bench race or whatever. http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

I'm sorry to say it since you already bought it, but that Bell brand pedal chain is junk in a box, not worth the cardboard that the box is made of.
I recommend going to your LBS and buying a quality chain such as KMC or similar. Count how many links you need to get your axle to sit as far back into the dropouts as you can get it to and buy a chain with at least that many links or slightly longer. We know that you know how to cut a chain to length...
Shoot, you have some good skills already. Most folks won't even try to rebuild a freewheel, scared of all the itty bitty bits inside. You fixed it like a pro!
Also some shops will have the chain on a roll and can cut it to length for you.
You will be much happier in the long term.

The rear wheel is not part of a kit but alot of the vendors sell that rear wheel to make building a kit easier and far more durable than a rag joint sprocket mount.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

ocho ninja- I'm not going over 15mph, but an engine brake still sounds good. The band brake ain't always so hot but I see how those screws work now. Do you think moving the chain tensioner forward, to get the wheel rearward, is ok? I've only seen pics but thought the chain routing had to be just about like mine is now? I'd really like the wheel farther into the dropouts.

GearNut- I tried to post in the cruiser bike section... Yeah, I see now what a deal I got on the bike! Thanks for the links. The chain can go back to the store- $20 when it was all done. What should I expect to pay for a decent 54" chain? A freewheel, now I know what it's called. Wasn't too bad, just ended up doing it three times- thought I could do something different/ better. This rear wheel isn't quite up to the job I think, but it'll be there till it quits!

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

You can probably add a link to your pedal side to get more slack. You can also loosen the nut that holds the motor chain tensioner and slide the wheel down giving you more slack thus allowing you to slide the axle further back.

Sometimes one good bump could make the axle move out place and cause a wreck.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

So (looking from the side) the engine chain doesn't have to run at an equal width apart, back to almost the wheel sprocket? (handle with a small teardrop on the left) It could come from, and go to the gearbox an equal width apart, but only a few inches back toward the rear wheel (handle with a big teardrop on the left), giving more play in the chain, allowing me to move the wheel rearward? Hope THAT made sense!

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

It sounds like you are talking about the chain tensioner, you can loosen the 14mm nut on the tensioner wheel and slide the wheel down to get chain slack then use it to adjust the rear wheel to where you need it. Then adjust the chain tension by raising it.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

It sounds like you are talking about the chain tensioner, you can loosen the 14mm nut on the tensioner wheel and slide the wheel down to get chain slack then use it to adjust the rear wheel to where you need it. Then adjust the chain tension by raising it.
That will mean a greater distance between the tensioner, and rear wheel sprocket. Does that matter?

GearNut- I know two people with bicycles (no motors), both mountain bikes. One commutes 16mi daily, the other has some multi-thousand dollar special built insane downhill monster. First thing they both said: Sheldon Brown.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

The distance between the tensioner and rear wheel sprocket makes no difference.
So long as the chain is tight and not rubbing on the frame you are good to go.
A word of warning about those tensioners, if it hasn't been mentioned to you yet, they like to rotate around on the chain stay and fall into the rear wheel's spokes... Ruining a good ride and rear wheel.
Some folks weld it on to the frame, some folks run a small screw through both the tensioner and frame tube (not all the way through the tube, just into the wall of the tube). Some folks make a strap that spans between the chain stay and seat stay and place the tensioner wheel on the strap.
Which ever way you choose to do it, just be sure that the tensioner cannot slip or rotate on the seat stay.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Good news on the chain. Planning on doing something with the tensioner. Probably attatch it at two points on the frame. I will install a stay screw in the meantime. Thanks for the info.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

I rode bikes without kick stands for most of my life, including my last motorized bicycle... stock kick stand couldn't hole up to the weight. Every time i had to park my bike i had to find a good place to lean it against were it didnt move or get in anyones way, and that get annoying.

A good kick stand lets your bike post it any where and it makes it easier to work on or letting it warm up while you get ready.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Trey looking at the pictures in the first post I see you don't have front brakes, if you wanted to add a side pull system a bmx set with a 96mm reach will work with 2.125 tires. I added them to both of my bikes and they make a huge differences. Less than 25$ from ebay, includes cable and handle.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

ocho ninja- Yeah, I'm trying the extendable type and it ain't gettin it. Used to lay that chrome Mongoose down everywhere back in the day lol

Greg58- I've been thinking about a dual cable brake for the existing rear band, and a new front brake of some type. If I got the one you suggested, I could find a dual handle, and use the single cable handle as a throttle. I believe that would work pretty well. I will be putting on mountain bike tires and am unsure of width dimention.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Back to check in. I added a link or two to the pedal chain and moved the rear wheel back to half way in the tabs or so. There was not enough drive chain to keep the tensioner, so I removed it. I'll ride it like that for awhile and see how it goes.

Attachments

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA

That's pretty good Trey, that's how I had my bike set up, no tensioner. Sometimes those tensioners slip and go into the spoke and ruin your rear wheel and might cause you to crash.

And if the chain is pretty new, low miles on the bike, the chain might wear and stretch a little bit and you might be able to pull the wheel back more.

If not sickbikeparts sell half links for the motordrive chain to get more length on the chain.

...BTW sold my 4 stroke bike, now I'm without a reliable ride for a bit lol