Switching to 4-stroke questions

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Hi All,

So I'm getting tired of having things break and be weird with the stock Chinese 2 stroke engines. I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a four stroke in the frame. Where would I get a four stroke engine kit that would be good for all weather and everyday use?

My preference is Chain drive. My budget will be about 400.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
I don't know anything about them and never willing to be 'the guinea pig". I built mine with the harbor freight predator engine and a jackshaft kit from online. using a belt drive centrifugal clutch and bought the pulley for the jackshaft from Granger and a few things from tractor supply to get everything wworking. i did buy the tank (make sure weather or not it comes with a pitcok valve) and a crappy throttle setup online. Including the bike, $30 on craigslist.org, i only have about that much in my bike nearly complete. All I have to do is disassemble it for paint and a few small adjustments and it will be complete when reassembled.

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I got my kit from this place

http://www.enginesonlineshop.com/Cl...ycle-Engine-Kit-DUAL-CHAIN-GEARBOX-v2012.html

Cost is a little more, but free shipping. Looks like same kit.
Wasn't a straight forward install though. Engine wouldn't line up with rear sprocket, so I made my own motor mount. Engine is wider than the pedal cranks. I used shorter cranks and raised the engine. You can buy wider cranks that will clear though. Had it for about 6 months and seems very reliable. Nice and quiet. You can click on my page and see photos of my bike. My brother bought a kit through them and it came with a bad gearbox. He took a photo and they sent him a new one. I don't know anything more about this company except that they are located in the Los Angeles area.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
What is bad in a bad gearbox? Never had a gear box so I don't know.

How many miles, estimated, are on your fourstroke?

If the gearbox goes bad, can't you just get a new gearbox for like 60 bucks?

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles

It was the clutch bell housing bolt. It was sheared off. There is also supposedly, a one way bearing that breaks. Never seen it, but most people just weld it solid and are on their way. Apparently, It is not necessary. The gearbox is a dual chain type, which is a lot better than the previous ones.

I am not sure on the miles, because I just installed a bike computer, but I would estimate at least several hundred miles. It seems to run better and better every time.

Yes, you can buy new gearboxes for under $60.00, but if you have a good one, they should last a long time. Same as the centrifugal clutch.

The motor has a built in magneto all self contained(like a lawn mower).

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Sweet! Sounds like what I need. I got about 10 miles a day between my three bikes (I 2-stroke china, 2 stroke friction, and a road bike). The china engine has become extremely unreliable though. As soon as I fix one thing, something else goes wrong.

Trying to decide if I want to drop 300 for a 4 stroke, or just spend 90 for a new china engine and use the old engine for parts.

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles
Sweet! Sounds like what I need. I got about 10 miles a day between my three bikes (I 2-stroke china, 2 stroke friction, and a road bike). The china engine has become extremely unreliable though. As soon as I fix one thing, something else goes wrong.

Trying to decide if I want to drop 300 for a 4 stroke, or just spend 90 for a new china engine and use the old engine for parts.
I like the 4 stroke over the 2 stroke for several reasons:

Better low end torque, less vibration, reliable, has pull starter,
really quiet, no smoke, and last but not least, just add straight gas to tank. I have a 2 stroke weed eater and blower and don't like pre mixing. I know it's not a big deal, but every time I wonder if I added enough oil. I would hate to have that feeling on a bike ten miles from home. Although, I do have an '84 rz350 that takes pre mix.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan

You already have everything you need from the china girl kits.All you need is a 4 stroke motor/mount and some type of gearbox or reduction.What about a 99cc predator or a Lifan 2.5 you can get either for under $125 shipped.Run a clutch to a jackshaft maybe.

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida
zpt.duh.:-||i have 4 stroke been through hoosier tranny and 80t 4g belt bearings suck, i just ordered 100t 4g hope to have success anyone know how to convert to drive belt like whizzer or where to get parts email plz [email protected] ty

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Hi All,

So I'm getting tired of having things break and be weird with the stock Chinese 2 stroke engines. I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a four stroke in the frame. Where would I get a four stroke engine kit that would be good for all weather and everyday use?

My preference is Chain drive. My budget will be about 400.
I switched to the 4 stroke kit for the same reason that you did. I bought a Huasheng 142f for $375 from EZCRUIZER.COM

It was relatively easy to install.

I have over 200 miles on my bike.

(949) 735-8402
Give em a call and say chad referred you they will help you out.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
He shows two different gear boxes in his pictures. I personally would prefer the figure 8 Hoot gear box that has the wet clutch. I just turned 2800 miles on it and it is running sweeter everyday.. Modifications has to made to it however.The other one he shows is the chain drive box that everyone hates also and I have no experience with that one. It would be nice if one knew what gear box you would wind up with. If you plan to buy either one expecting them to run flawlessly without some changes, neither one of them is for you, imo.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
dont get the hs 142 or any other one go to harbor friend or buy a 3 hp predator and get a clutch and or one of those cvt for it and that will be better any day i made the mistake of buying a hs there crap

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
dont get the hs 142 or any other one go to harbor friend or buy a 3 hp predator and get a clutch and or one of those cvt for it and that will be better any day i made the mistake of buying a hs there crap
Maybe you just got a rare lemon. There's members here who have put over 10k miles on their HS engines without any major problems. The HS does not need to be rebuilt out of the box to be reliable unlike most chinagirls. I've had my HS for 2 years and have over 5k miles on it, it's never had a non-carb-related problem. The only common problems that come with HS+gearbox kits stem from the gearbox, not the engine. The Huasheng has proven to be an excellent engine for most people who use one.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
well the engine only has 75 miles on it the carb is a big bore carb off a gx 160 motor its brand new and i let it sit a week and the idle jet clogs they are poorly designed i have a new gas tank new hose new filters 3 of them crap is just still getting though