Strada by Vari Flex-motorized?

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have a steel 12 inch scooter I'm thinking of motorizing. Has anyone tried this? Or heard of it?

I can put disc brakes front and rear,I have some 1/4 aluminum skid plate for the deck,and of course the appropriate lights and bells.

I will be trying to put a suspension sissy bar/back rest/polo seat/suspension seat post combo,foot pegs,and a small pedal crank on it.

Any ideas,suggestions,or criticisms will be evaluated,discussed,and implemented if they are the 'goods'.

Edit: motor~huasheng 49cc 4 stroke/4G 80/10 transmission. I've seen some gas scooters but not too many 4 strokes,none with the motor in-frame, and definetly not for less than $100.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Little update:

I have realized $100 is unrealistic so now time to go FULL-TILT-BOOGIE!

I am putting a seat on it but I don't like the idea of it just standing there so I'm trying to add a support bar between the front of the scooter and the seat post. As I can not weld I will be using clamps and such to secure it. Any help will always be appreciated.

I will be using triple tree forks,12.5 inch electric scooter wheels w/ disc brakes,and a custom air horn.

There will be more add-ons but times are hard;money's tight,etc.,etc. I will also be adding links and pics forthwith.

I see lots of views but no responses? Come on guys,I know you want to say it.

As a result of this project,I must sell some of my motorized bike. Check it out in the Swap&Shop.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Those currie wheels are great, I have them on my Razor dirt bike as a motard setup and they're really fun!

You should check out the Sturmey S3X, it doesn't have any pawls inside so I think it is the toughest hub they make for motorized bike use. You just screw on a tough freewheel of your choice.

Do you want to use the geared hub for a jackshaft? If thats the case, maybe one of their disc brake hubs would be best.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I am using the hub for a jackshaft but I need one for a trike because of chainline. I found one at sjscycles.com but now I can't remember the name. On the sturmey archer website it is under 'gearboxes' and it has no brake. Its looks perfect but I can only find it across the pond. And I'm pretty sure there's plenty of hubs I can use with my motor.

I need to finish the single speed first though. Just some bolts & nuts and some drilling & cutting.

And painting! Got to paint it.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
What? No way! This dude is everywhere!

Seriously though? Damn it man.

@velodrome:I'm not ignoring you,just having problems with this phone. I thought this thing was supposed to be smart?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm not ready to put it all the way together but I think a couple more weeks and it'll be ready.

I think.

This time....? Oh well,here's some pics anyway.

1st pic:I'm not putting the motor like that,but I was thinking about it!

2nd pic:I'll be using this mount with some sprockets from Staton Inc.

3rd pic: This wheel front and rear with a disc rotor up front and...

4th pic:...this cog on the rear.

Attached image:This is the seat I plan on using. It will be tight but it will all fit.

Velo,let me know what else you want to see and if I can,your eyes can feast!

Or they might starve,I'm kinda broke.

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm not ready to put it all the way together but I think a couple more weeks and it'll be ready.

I think.

This time....? Oh well,here's some pics anyway.

1st pic:I'm not putting the motor like that,but I was thinking about it!

2nd pic:I'll be using this mount with some sprockets from Staton Inc.

3rd pic: This wheel front and rear with a disc rotor up front and...

4th pic:...this cog on the rear.

Attached image:This is the seat I plan on using. It will be tight but it will all fit.

Velo,let me know what else you want to see and if I can,your eyes can feast!

Or they might starve,I'm kinda broke.
I'm also building a scooter/goped type ride. I've done the research, and the requirements are that you CAN have a seat, but it may not interfere with you being able to still stand up on it. The problem I see with yours is that the ENGINE is going to interfere with that requirement. If you put pedals on it and call it a motorized bicycle instead of a goped/scooter then it'll be fine. A goped is allowed to be ridden with ANY class license. Screw a M-2.
fatdaddy.
I call it Frankenped.

Attachments

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That looks like a high standing position but that would be better for visibility,right?

My motor is going to be in the way of me standing in the center,but I am using an almost solid xg-550 deck plate and frame standers in the rear. I don't want to stand honestly'which is why I'm putting pedals on it. It won't be very fast with pedal power,but as long as they work I should be good.

Oh,by the way,you need a 26" cruiser disc fork for FrankenPed? Got one if your interested. Its from chainganglowrider.com.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
That looks like a high standing position but that would be better for visibility,right?

My motor is going to be in the way of me standing in the center,but I am using an almost solid xg-550 deck plate and frame standers in the rear. I don't want to stand honestly'which is why I'm putting pedals on it. It won't be very fast with pedal power,but as long as they work I should be good.

Oh,by the way,you need a 26" cruiser disc fork for FrankenPed? Got one if your interested. Its from chainganglowrider.com.
Yeah, it's a little high but I'm cool with that. I just didn't want a goped with those little bitty unstable wheels.
As long as ya got pedals on it then it's a motorized bicycle, no problemo.
Don't need a fork for frankenped, but I am looking for a 26" suspension fork, 1' threaded with the cantilever bosses or setup for disc for My Huffy. Getting old and lookin for a softer ride.
fatdaddy.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have one of those scooters rusting away in my back yard.
Got it for my daughter and she rode it once, never touched it after that.

I like where you are going with this, d gizzle.
I have another scooter, same size and all, but it has front and rear suspension.
I am contemplating attaching a Honda 50cc scooter engine/ trans in place of the current rear suspension. Electric start, honest charging system, and Honda reliability.
Bigger wheels too.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Gearnut,do you mean its a Strada? Would you be interested in selling it if it is? The biggest hurdle was finding a scooter that the rear drop outs hadn't been pulled in. The Strada is one of those scooters usually. My front and rear are both almost 4 inches wide. Try finding a disc brake wheel with that oln measurement.

In the future I would like to put a Toucan 20S together. It has 20" disc wheels,front and rear.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Mine is a Sidewinder. The dropouts are only 3" apart. They are welded on though, not pinched tube ends like yours is. It would be easy enough to cut them off and weld on different ones spaced as far apart as one wishes to.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I was talking bout the one in the back yard gearnut. I don't really do suspension setups. I can't ever get the tension right.

As for welding,I can't and its cheaper to work with what I have. But come income tax time ill be getting the Toucan 20S. I will be changing the shock forks on it to solid forks. And adding a internal gear hub at some point.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The Sidewinder is in the back yard, in all it's rusty chrome glory. The plastic wheels are all sun rotted too, just like they were when I got it, only worse now.
The full suspension one is in the shed, keeping the spiders happy.
You have inspired me to pull it out sooner than later to see what it would take to bolt on the Honda Spree engine to it. Too bad the Spree doesn't have a variator tranny though.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
My bad gearnut. I just assumed you were talking about your projec scootert. I like chrome though.

Are you going with 12" wheels? If so,the ones I'm using have huge locknuts which can be switch out with smaller ones and they have washers that can be shaved down on both sides of the axle. Just make sure you get 2 front wheels with disc rotor. That way you can run the rear chain on either side.