Stopping tensioner from hitting spokes?

GoldenMotor.com

Daement

Feb 19, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Have to agree going without a tensioner is ideal. I also stand (or ride) behind the 41 chain, easy to find at the Tractor Supply store, and very durable. If you must use a tensioner the spring ones are best. I was in a pinch and scrapped an old rear derailer from a junk bike, rigged it to act as a spring tensioner (some bending required). Ive had zero problems with the chain since.

*edit* the sprocket wear is from my first build, I used the old one as it was missing from the new kit. She has about 4k miles on her.

Last edited:

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
Have to agree going without a tensioner is ideal. I also stand (or ride) behind the 41 chain, easy to find at the Tractor Supply store, and very durable. If you must use a tensioner the spring ones are best. I was in a pinch and scrapped an old rear derailer from a junk bike, rigged it to act as a spring tensioner (some bending required). Ive had zero problems with the chain since.
Wow, that's a nice setup. Since the chain pitch is 1/2", did you just keep the existing derailleur idler sprocket?

Daement

Feb 19, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
The derailleur and sprocket I left alone. Removed the piece that wraps around the chain. I installed a long screw to hold it open and bent the sprocket arm into place/alignment. I'll put another pic or two from dif angles. I'll have to wait for daylight, the lighting is too dim now.