Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That sounds like Maryland. I lived on the Eastern Shore for a year.

My son lives in New Hampshire and wanted to register his trike. He called the State Police who do the inspections for home built vehicles and they told him where the inspection team was checking commercial vehicles on the side of the road. He loaded up his trike in his pickup and went over and they looked it over and gave him the paperwork to go and get it registered.

Typical New Hampshire. Live Free or Die

Steve.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I made some calls to the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Apparently Maine is one of the few states that will register a vehicle for a non-resident. The only hitch is they do not title motorcycles less than 300cc. They seemed to think it wouldn't be difficult to register it there and then re-register it elsewhere. It just might work but I might just keep the Maine registration indefinitely.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I was recently at a large automotive flea market in Jefferson Wisconsin and a vender there was selling tiles with matching vin tags.

He had them by category mostly just cars, but also a section including motorcycles & mopeds.

He was a retired Wisconsin State Trooper so I assume it’s legit...

Sorry I don’t have his name, but next time I go I’ll probably pick up a moped title for myself and will get that kind of info then.

Or perhaps just locally buying a project moped or small motorcycle with title is a backdoor option? Who’s to say your bike isn’t just a custom whatever?

-Kirk

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Yes, starting with at least a frame with a title would have made things much simpler, even if the only part used is the bit with the VIN on it.

Apparently, a similar dilemma is shared by street-rodders around the country. Wisconsin in particular seems to embrace home-built vehicles with their "hobbyist" registration.

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
I'm building a chopper from scratch with a shovelhead/fourspeed....I have had to keep EVERY receipt for inspection! Seems here in Texas they check for stolen parts-vehicles.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Just showing it off, but I'm not much of a showman and my wife isn't much of a videographer. :)

The carb may need a bit of tuning. Aside from that it runs very well. I just need to get acquainted with it.

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
OK very good then...a friend of mine purchased a lifan some years back and had nothing but troubles with it....he eventually swapped in a Yamaha and resolved endless issues. Perhaps QC at Lifan has much improved since thise days I don't know. Thanks for the response!

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Hey guys. It's been a little while.

I spent part of the winter converting to motorcycle wheels, tires, and beefier front brake hub. I gave up on the racer configuration adding some forward foot pegs and reusing the pedal cranks for shifter and brake. I extended the handlebars to allow and upright riding position and added some pannier bags.

Here’s a pick taken between weekend rides. She really is a blast to ride!

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Really sweet build & of special interest to me as I'm using a similar clone engine with kick start only, but going for more of a non-motorcycle look with functional pedals, bike wheels & tires etc. Part of my reasoning is registration process in Oklahoma will be some what easier & I'm also going for a simple early bicycle look when finished. Glad your now registered. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Is that a 125? If the carb is jetted right, you'll have left a few people with surprised expressions at the traffic lights.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Is that a 125? If the carb is jetted right, you'll have left a few people with surprised expressions at the traffic lights.
It's a 150 with a nice Mikuni. I haven't really assessed the jetting yet but she pulls hard. Over the weekend I lowered the front of the seat a bit to reduce the sliding off the back feeling when accelerating uphill.

Thinking about riding in costume with my wife in the 4th of July parade here in town and I had a "eureka" or perhaps a "doh" moment while trying to figure out where to put some passenger footpegs. I can put my quill shaft/bearing set up back into use without the cranks but with some grippy stuff on the ends.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Japanese made 125 engines peaked at 7,500, but would run on until 9,500. For racing we had a cam that took best output to 8,500, but it lost the real world tractability of the standard cam.

Just remember to clean the centrifugal filter out as well as the gauze thing when you change oil.