Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
It makes perfect sense when you think about it. The inside of the bend needs to either be shrunken or have less material than the outside of the bend. By sawing away strips of the steel, there's less material. It's the same thing hotrodders do when they chop a top or section a body.

MHF

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
You lucky dog! Does it spin freely? Got room for a third bike? Agrees with what he said! ^^^ Next project!
yep, spins freely. Just some parts missing like carb, manifold and exhaust etc. but that is going to be customized anyway.
Maybe this is the engine for the next bike with the Honda 23"x3.0 XL250 wheels- create and build a real BTR-style motorbike... yeah, yeah, yeah

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Hi guys, here you can see my nice engine collection, the Briggs V2, a DKW, a Barkas, the Sachs and a Simson, all very nice. I did not expect the Vanguard being that small- would fit in my frame but I stick with the Sachs-concept.
Frame, tank and fork are spray-fillered today. After drying they will be wet sanded and hopefully sprayed in color this week-

Not sure wether I should paint the engine case also red, leave it aluminum or paint it black... any opinions?

Attachments

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Not sure wether I should paint the engine case also red, leave it aluminum or paint it black... any opinions?
Some of the early Indians Ive seen, had engines that were painted a 'matt silver' colour. Almost like a grey, but I think it's a type of silver that is very flat. Just another suggestion.
I dont really like engines that are painted black, always looks cheap to me, imo.
If leaving an engine aluminium, I like to polish the cases.
That's my input.
You do great work, Im looking forward to seeing the bike as it progresses.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Some of the early Indians Ive seen, had engines that were painted a 'matt silver' colour. Almost like a grey, but I think it's a type of silver that is very flat. Just another suggestion.
I dont really like engines that are painted black, always looks cheap to me, imo.
If leaving an engine aluminium, I like to polish the cases.
That's my input.
You do great work, Im looking forward to seeing the bike as it progresses.
oh yeah, painting matt silver is another option- you are right, thanks. Polishing is not possible anymore cause I needed to do some fiberglass work

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Some of the cars I helped restore used a soft silver colour called argent silver. It was used a lot in the 1800's and up till the early 1960's.
Might be the colour your talking about.

Steve

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Axelkloehn

I posted to Harry's Board Track Racer recently with photo of San Diego, CA Automotive Motorcycles

See Page 10 post #97 the 5th pic on the right, 1913 Indian Red with Silver Color on engine

I had Mr B. reply and it was questioned if it was really 1913, I did not take a picture of the placard on that shot, so maybe it was for another Indian to the right of the photo, don't know?

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/villiers-boardtrack-racer-30023-10.html

Measure Twice

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
from the left the second is a Simson SL1 50cc Moped engine, the third is a VEB Barkas 150cc stationery engine, both former East-german manufacturers
Ok then, gona keep my eyes open for a veb barkas engine, realy like the head design. Id go with the matte silver color. Just like you said it would be easyer to paint than to try to polish.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
the (fake) V2 engine design,

doesn't look like a 50cc single cyl anymore- does it?

Gonna add some rocker arms and valve springs at the top and two long pushrods for the perfect vintage look- I am pretty much satisfied how it turned out and can't wait to finish the bike, but too cold at the moment for grinding and painting

Attachments