Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm just guessing here, but I think that the time involved and patience in making something so awsome, that it probably no way in #%^% **** would it be parted with.

Anyway even though I do not have a good shop to do the work on the build I am doing, even if I did and didn't have to grab everything out and put back each time I went to work on it, there still is a little of me in the bike that it stays with me.

I have people asking me to do builds, but I know too much time would be needed for it to work out econmically. One other positive thing it keeps my sanity when between jobs and don't want my mind to fester:)

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I have to ask...would you sell it? Or what wold you charge to build another like it? I would be very interested!
Well, thanks for the interest, I am with Measure Twice, I don't think I can build something like this for a reasonable price. I build things like this for fun of creating something, not for business reasons, so it is no problem spending countless hours building it.

It is also difficult to tell how much is it worth. It is worth what people are willing to pay for it, but how do you find out?

Anyway, I am scattered. Again thanks for asking

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
"Too nice to ride"??? Perhaps, but I doubt I could resist the temptation. "Hang it on the wall"??? Well, it surely is art. And beautiful art at that. But if I hung it on a wall I'd be taking it down every time I saw the sun shining outside. My own bike is no boardtracker, and Axel's is hard to top, but my bike would never hang on a wall with me around. The neighbors have been seeing plenty of it on those past few sunny days.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I remember a magazine story on a famous Formula one driver and he actually hung a real Lamborghini Countach on the wall like a painting. It was cool. I'm sure he had other cars to ride around in :). I'm all for motorcycles as static art or furniture. Great conversation pieces.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
some slow progress

tried to do the clutch with mechanic linkage (see yellow circle), but figured out it doesnot feel strong enough and reliable, so I decided to go with a standard lever- I need one for the front brake anyway, so I am gonna have two now, one left and one right. Not like the original, but the original did not have any break or clutch at 1911-12.

Needed some time to figure out the sprockets and the ratio, but I had an idea. I keep the original Sachs front and rear sprockets (11-44t), and in the center (pedals) I use 18-28t sprockets. Why? The original Sachs moped, where the engine is from, had 16" wheels, I have 28" wheels now which would make the bike faster, so with this trick (16/28" wheels, 18/28t sprockets) I am about reducing speed down to the original speed of the Sachs Moped (25-30 mph) again. After the first testrides I can change the rear sprocket in size to the speed I want the bike to go...

Attachments

Last edited:

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
hey axel the bikes lookin great! Can you tell us were you got your handlebar drop downs? Were they store bought or did you fab them. If you did fab them can you tell us what you used for parts. Thanks for the help.

Red

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
hey axel the bikes lookin great! Can you tell us were you got your handlebar drop downs? Were they store bought or did you fab them. If you did fab them can you tell us what you used for parts. Thanks for the help.

Red
thanks, I used 2 old bike handlebars and 2 extensions which you can screw on the l + r end of handlebars, and welded all together. Not so happy with it cause after welding I had to paint them, but I think I gonna use griptape to cover the paint and the bars

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
thanks, I used 2 old bike handlebars and 2 extensions which you can screw on the l + r end of handlebars, and welded all together. Not so happy with it cause after welding I had to paint them, but I think I gonna use griptape to cover the paint and the bars
To be honest thats the only thing i can pick on your otherwise flawless bike, like you said how youve painted the bars red looks a little out of place.... and will most likely be fine when you cover with griptape...... but im just throwing out ideas (you may have already thought of them), i think maybe the bars and stem painted either silver or black would possibly look better, or if you were willing to pay money get them chromed or zinc coated.

Like i said its a flawless bike and im just being picky. Once again this is my all time favourite bike :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The original bike had painted red bar. I have pictures. Painted rims too.
Ive seen Indians with nickle :confused: coated bars, Ive also seen some with red bars, but even the bikes with red bars the adaptor or connector (whatever you call it) wasnt red..... Like i said i realise why he painted it, and like i said it may be fine when he puts the tape on them, but like i said thats the ONLY thing that looks odd TO ME on this otherwise flawless machine.

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
thanks for the pics, Harry, they are helpful. There is always some room for improvement, but I am not concentrating on this issue right now. If I get the sprockets, brakes and mechanical throttle done and the bike is running, I will surely think about the handlebar, seat and some other things like rear fender and some kind of kickstand. But the important things come first....

Last edited:

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I like the handle bars red and chrome like you have them, to me it looks less "bicycle" and more old motorcycle. The only improvement I could think of would be to put some sort of beauty strap around the joint where the two meet, maybe in brass?

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Have you considered reverse bar end brake handles that route the cable through the bar? I run these and love them.
Yes, I have a pair of inverted levers, but they don't fit my idea with the mechanical throttle, which needs to run something through the bar already. It is no space anymore for an inverted lever with its cable, I could only use one on the left side for the clutch, unfortunately. But I agree, they look good!

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I figured out how to install the center sprockets, I was in need of a shaft which fits pedals and sprockets, so I opened a spare Sachs engine and took the pedal-shaft, which fortunately had a big gearwheel inside. This gearwheel works perfect as an adapter hub for the two sprockets. I am almost done cause this was one of the biggest problems. Alignment is ok, so it is just some minor work left.
One thing I found out is, the engine has a misfire respectively an unwanted spark! I put the fake cylinder head over the spark plug with another fake spark plug in it- you can see the black ignition wire going inside a hole in the fake cyl head in the close up, and exactly there is an unwanted spark between the plug connector and the metal cylinder head- they are too close to each other. So I need to figure out some lagging to avoid this issue... glad I found it now cause I would have never been able to start the engine and would wonder why...

Attachments

Last edited: