Sportsman Racer Latest Photos

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
If I want to go 50, me, I am getting a motorcycle, then again I am old and I break easy and don't repair so good. You young guys, well, you are going to push the envelope, always have throughout history and more power to you, better to die young in battle, rather than grow old and waste away.
Hoodoo,
Interesting observations. I have an overlay drawing of an old Indian boardie with my Racer version. Wheels are scaled to be the same. It is actually pretty amazing how close they are in geometry. About a 90% scale model of the original bikes. I don't exactly consider myself a young guy pushing the speed envelop anymore and just because a bike can do 55 mph does not mean I will be doing 55 mph on a regular basis. I have, within reason, squeezed every last ounce of performance out of the China engines and still wanted more. The Morini engine is not as radical as you may think and when set up as I have done I find it to be a stronger engine making for a more enjoyable ride. I actually feel more comfortable (safer) at 40 mph on one of my stretched out Racers than I do on a smaller China engine bike at 30 mph. Also, there are good cruiser tires and cheap cruiser tires. Buy the best ones you can find with good tight beads and always keep the whole bike tuned to perfection. Finally, it is only a matter of time before someone takes one of my frames and makes a fully dressed out vintage looking cruiser. I may post pictures of BTR's a lot, but am also a big fan of cruiser builds.

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
Wow Pat. I was thinking it would be cool to get together for a ride. Now I am pretty sure I would never be able to keep up! Your builds are amazing! I would love to talk to you about a custom tank for my MB. I use a Nirve Classic frame and would like to see what options I have for a new larger gas tank. Keep up the awesome work.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
As for low speed characteristics of the Morini, how does the bike respond? Does it have enough torque to go from a standing start? That would be even more useful than the top end as the ability to run slow with stability would be great. The old time motorcycles could travel fairly slow with a lot of stability. Our 1929 Triumph H (single cylinder) is a joy to ride very slowly. Slow riding is great for parades. .

AL

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I want one!!
Believe me, so do I! Unfortunately I am still aways down the build list.

Hoodoo,
As for low speed driveability it has a lot to do with clutch adjustment on the Morini. My brother Rich put a great deal of time into clutch adjustment and the result is a nice clean and powerful low rpm pull away from the line. The Morini is such a versatile engine. Remember, if your concerned with two strokes there is always the Whizzer version of this same basic motorbike.
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
A few fresh pictures from today.

DSC06034 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Pile of Racer parts.

DSC06029 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Another kit nearing completion. Production is coming up to speed, well sort of for a work force of one. I hope to see a few of these builds finished up in the near future.

DSC06021 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

I have worked out the materials supply chain as well. When the first run of 12 bikes is finished I will be building 10 more. They will be divided up between Racer (Morini) and WZ (Whizzer) models.

DSC06017 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Sportscarpat:

With all that HP you could add a sidecar (maybe those cruiser bars also)?...... that would be something to see. Steering our 1918 Indian with a sidecar is not really fun for me though. Feels very uncomfortable turning sharply although it is very stable (at least at the speed we drive)...you lose the "lean" of the bike. Still as a parade bike and such a sidecar would be awesome...I am thinking of such with my planned Harley 9 hp. Do you think the 9 HP could pull a sidecar maybe 20-25 MPH max?

A few fresh pictures from today.

DSC06034 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Pile of Racer parts.

DSC06029 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Another kit nearing completion. Production is coming up to speed, well sort of for a work force of one. I hope to see a few of these builds finished up in the near future.

DSC06021 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

I have worked out the materials supply chain as well. When the first run of 12 bikes is finished I will be building 10 more. They will be divided up between Racer (Morini) and WZ (Whizzer) models.

DSC06017 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Hoodoo,

I have a fair amount of seat time with the Morini, low speed driveablity is excellent -don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The clutch is super easy to dial in, even though mine was terrible out of the box.

I am certain that I could run a more agressive pipe and gain better peak performance, but I would never trade peak performance for lousy manners. It has plenty of torque, so you don't have to pedal to offset any deficit in low RPM grunt. Just give the throttle a twist and off you go.

You can putter around at super low speed all you want. Its a super flexible motor, and if your pockets are little deeper than average, its a real good choice. I put my stamp of approval on this one.

And for the record, I have three bikes, 2006 Whizzer, China doll, and Morini, so yes, I have tasted them all.

Rich

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Rich:

How is your clutch adjusted on the Morini? I just looked it up and nearly 700 bucks is high, but not when you think about getting motorcycle style performance. How much tweaking does it take to get the Morini set up (presuming you have the frame built and set up but nothing attached yet)?
I mean the grubee skyhawk is pretty much install and go. Does the Morini require any additonal stuff, any special features?

Hey Hoodoo,

I have a fair amount of seat time with the Morini, low speed driveablity is excellent -don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The clutch is super easy to dial in, even though mine was terrible out of the box.

I am certain that I could run a more agressive pipe and gain better peak performance, but I would never trade peak performance for lousy manners. It has plenty of torque, so you don't have to pedal to offset any deficit in low RPM grunt. Just give the throttle a twist and off you go.

You can putter around at super low speed all you want. Its a super flexible motor, and if your pockets are little deeper than average, its a real good choice. I put my stamp of approval on this one.

And for the record, I have three bikes, 2006 Whizzer, China doll, and Morini, so yes, I have tasted them all.

Rich

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hoodoo,

You'll spend more time fiddling with the proper alignment of your China motor than you will doing a clutch adjustment on the Morini. The biggest problem I had with the clutch was finding good info on how to do it. Once you figure it out, it's dead simple, assuming you have some mechanical experience.

The way Pat and I build bikes, we put a big emphasis on proper brakes, wheels, etc. We spend a lot of time to find the formula. Once dialed, you just reproduce more -clones of the original. If you buy one of the frames, you pull it out of the box and it is a bolt together, you don't spend any time fabricating, and the tabs, brackets, etc are already welded to the frame. For most, the hardest part will be deciding what color to paint it.

The Morini electronics are really nice, they use quality connectors, just two plugs for the CDI and coil, and hook one wire to the kill switch. We hide the components in the tool-box. The harness from the motor is just three wires, it needs to be lengthened about 12", but if you keep the connectors, when done it just the two plugs.

Other than the initial idle adjustment, I have not touched the motor. Set the choke, give it a kick and away you go.

Wheels are rock solid too, we run the beefy brakes and tabs to locate the brake plates are pre-welded to the frame. Pat's tanks are the best out there. Top it off with a proper motorcycle saddle, and when you're done there is not much of the bicycle feel left.

If you go with the China motor, don't skip on the build. It is still possible to build a very nice budget minded bike. Spend money on good wheels, and bolt it to a good frame.

Rich

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Thanks for the info on the Morini! How big a sprocket are you using? Does Morini provide one or do you use the aftermaket sprockets? I was thinking of going for a larger sprocket. We have a laser cutter available and we have already made a new sprocket for an antique motorcycle with it. I want to maximize low end torque even more as the top speed is not an issue. A sidecar is almost inevitable (sidecar rides on our 1918 Indian are awesome and popular) although I hope to have the Hardly[/I Davidson running by our November air fair.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat, what form of payment do you except? Credit Card, Cashiers Check, Wire Transfer, when someone places an order for your builds, parts, and or accessories.

What is the current delivery date for your next run of builds?

Yes I'm ready to send my payment, for a Sportsman Deluxe Racer Morini.

Can you post a Link for all Authorized USA Licensed Morini engine Dealers?

Peace Crazy Horse.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Joe,
All that business stuff happens elsewhere but I am flexable. I have a pile of tubing and sheet metal with your name on it! Already geared up for the next run, too.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hoodoo,

We run 45 tooth rear sprocket, its a good overall balance between speed and acceleration. The bike will cruise at 40mph, and still has plenty of low end. I've seen sprockets up to 52 teeth that will bolt to hub, no need to make your own. Besides, the sprockets are dished, can't do that on a laser cutter.

Hopefully, I'll some new pictures to share soon. I finally tore it all down for paint and last night Pat and I added a couple extra tabs for chain tensioners, seat tabs and revised exhaust mount. With luck, the frame should go into powdercoat this week

Rich