Sportsman Racer Latest Photos

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
A few photos of the latest Sportsman Racer. The Racers are Morini powered using the S6S 9.4 hp engine. What is significant here is the two stroke pipe. I have messed with this pipe endlessly trying to get it to blend with the BTR frame while not destroying the look. It was tough and required a number of compromises. It may not be the optimum shape for the engine but at 9.4 hp I figured I could sacrifice a little power for the sake of getting a good fit. Having to put a muffler on a boardie is a bummer so I made it easily removable for racing purposes. The Morini really is a bad ass little engine!
Oh, I forgot something very important to add. Merry Christmas everybody!

DSC05925 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

DSC05929 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

DSC05932 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

DSC05934 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looking good I like the way the exhaust wraps into the bike and you pulled off the look of that muffler nicely(^) Exhaust seems to be one of the hardest things to finesse a good operation and look with.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Wonderful, wonderful bike...I have probably missed out on some of the rationale for the development of this bike. Where will it run, what are the anticipated speeds?

I have a bunch of 8-9 hp 4 cycle Italian engines at my eventual disposal that I have not considering the mechanics but this project makes me want to start thinking that way. They are new (but externally some of the metal was corroded so they don't look pristine) but I am now seeing these on a frame. I have one given to me with no strings IF (well one string) I will put it on wheels of some kind and prove what it can be used for. I was thinking of a cyclekart but a motorized bike...well that would be something...not even sure if you can call 8hp a motorized bike. Maybe 29er wheels?

My Choctaw looks fast but isn't and I am finding myself going down this spiral of wanting to go faster.

Is there a point of going past the ability of the bicycle wheels or are these wheels custom?

I am thinking about speed runs down our grass airstrip.

AL

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey hoodoo, i can answer your question about worksman wheels holding up to speed...

a buddy of mine built a custom triumph motorcycle with a worksman wheel on the front, and i was talking to him the other day and he's been over 100mph.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Wonderful, wonderful bike...Where will it run, what are the anticipated speeds?
Is there a point of going past the ability of the bicycle wheels or are these wheels custom?
AL
Thanks for all the comments guys! I have really put a huge amount of effort into these Sportsman builds. I have sort of tried to keep within the law at 49cc and pedal crank, but the kick starter may be illegal in California. As for where I plan to run it that would be everywhere including any race track I can find. The Death Race would be a logical place for starters. As for speeds I hear 55 mph is possible with the right gearing, but I have yet to do it personally. We have another Racer up and running and cruising at 40 mph is easy and uneventful. Bike is rock solid stable and the semi custom Worksman wheels are built to handle it. Big brakes haul it down fast and if your not careful you can lock up the rear wheel.

marineabilly

Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
i don't think a kickstart makes it illegal in CA, as long as it has "operative pedals."

the horsepower is just a little over the 2hp limit, though.:)

I know 2hp is the CA rule, but really, would anyone question the hp if your riding within the speed limit in public, wearing your PPE and following the rules of the road?

Pat, are the "Racer" and "Racer Deluxe" models one in the same?

Cheers!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat, are the "Racer" and "Racer Deluxe" models one in the same?
Cheers!
I know my models get confusing. The Racer and Racer Deluxe are the same frame. One has engine mounts and one does not. Same with the Flyer and Flyer Deluxe. Deluxe just means it has engine mounts.
Pat

J Docherty

Jun 14, 2010
Los Angeles
Simply beautiful, the geometry/angles are perfect! You have set a new standard for Board Track Builds.

I can't wait to see it with paint and nickel plating.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Future Sportsman Racers. Frames are just partially assembled at this point and still need all their tabs and brackets. Two unfinished tanks sitting on the ground. These are true lugged frames and fully brazed construction. All brazing takes place in the frame jig. They come out perfectly straight. A fairly complete Sportsman Racer kit sits in the backround for reference.

DSC05954 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Wonderful frame pics but I think I noticed something that I also seem to see on my own bike. Because the Worksman rear frames are designed for 26" inch wheels and not 28" the frame sits at a flatter angle from rear wheel hub
to the pedal hub. Therefore when you make a deep loop, although it looks radical, once you mount it on the 26" tires the angle changes and the loop does not appear as deep. On my next bike (yes, got to make a third now, maybe I can sell my first bike) I intend to make the loop even more deeper than on my Choctaw.
For me, once you have have ridden a drop loop lengthened bike, and have actually ridden one of the old motorcycles, those unmodified worksman frames are just way to short for "happyness". That long tank and lengthened frame on with lengthened cruiser handlebars are the cat's meow in my opinion. If you can't make your own, buy one of these and you are going to find it is worth the extra expense. Those long loop frames with those big tanks are attention getters....me, I like the attention more than just driving from point a to point b.
As for the tires I was more concerned about durability when hitting pot holes at speed and also side loads, in other words, ridden casually and a lot at speed. If I want to go 50, me, I am getting a motorcycle, then again I am old and I break easy and don't repair so good. You young guys, well, you are going to push the envelope, always have throughout history and more power to you, better to die young in battle, rather than grow old and waste away.